FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Problem with new PC (Apollo)

Post Date: 2015-08-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bmicinski View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Problem with new PC (Apollo)
    Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:35pm
Computer arrived on July31st (friday). Since that it has been working a properly a grand total of 6 days.

The issue I'm having is with the internet. I have the ASUS usb from the site and it worked great instantly the moment I took it out of the box. It randomly stopped connecting to the internet two days later. After trying a ridiculous number of things to get it working again...it finally started working on its own as inexplicably as it stopped. It continued working for another 4 days before finally stopping again. I called digital storm after trying a few other things and the guy i spoke to was very brief and insistent that if I had tried that many things to get it working the asus usb was likely just defective and he would send a new one right away no big deal. Awesome...

It finally arrives about 5-6 days later and I pop this one in and it won't start working even a little bit like the old one did. When i look at my network connection it says unidentified network - no internet access. Yet, right below that in the window showing all the available networks my wifi status says connected.

Has anyone seen this before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

My father is coming by over the weekend to look at it. I've seen him fix, play, and build computers since i was kid and no exaggerations when i say i have NEVER seen him not fix a PC problems in all the years I've seen. Sometimes it takes 20 minutes for him to figure it out...sometimes 2 days, but he always gets it. If I can't get any new tips to try and he is unable to get it working and connected again I will be returning this PC for sure.

Again, to reiterate...it has been working 6 out of 22 days. I use this exclusively for gaming as a luxury item i wanted. Without the internet I can't download anything new to play or of course access any multiplayer. Getting quickly annoyed with this $2k+ brick sitting on my desk especially when i type all this from a laptop that is now 11 years old that i haven't had a single problem from.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Aug 2015 at 7:52pm
Attempts so far:

Unplugging router etc and leaving off for 5+ minutes

Reinstalling ASUS software that came with usb dongle

Uninstalling ASUS software and running it without (this worked for awhile with the old usb)

Tried using both windows wireless function or asus wlan capabilities - neither work

Tried telling it to diagnose and repair itself - it of course couldnt do that and had no clue what was wrong.

Heard that maybe it was not obtaining the DNS server automatically for whatever reason - tried resetiing/flushing DNS - nothing

Tried ipconfig and /renew under cmd as administrator - nothing

Thought maybe under 'local area connection' even though it wasnt connected it was enabled as well as the wifi it for some wild reason was interfering. Disabled local area connection - nothing

Checked under settings to make sure it said it was obtaining DNS etc automatically like it supposed to - it said it was.

When the asus software was actually installed even that said it was connected even though it would not access the internet. Tried resetting up the connection through asus software - nothing

Tried disconnecting and resetting it up manually again typing in password all over again from scratch etc. It said identifying network for awhile but ultimately still wouldnt connect.

Everyone other device we have works on our wifi currently. Phones, tablets, laptops, game consoles etc. This desktop is the one singular device that refuses to work.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:20am
Not sure this will help, you have done a lot, but does the wifi dongle work on another pc?   That'll narrow it down. Try different usb ports, front vs back and usb 2.0 vs 3.0.   The latest dongle driver compatable with your OS. Driver for your mobo at manufacturers site.

Hope this helps.   Let us know.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 5:30am
Originally posted by bmicinski

and it won't start working even a little bit like the old one did. When i look at my network connection it says unidentified network - no internet access. Yet, right below that in the window showing all the available networks my wifi status says connected.

I have seen this before. On my Vanquish II, when I had my Panda N300 wireless USB adaptor.

I ended up needing a new router... it had nothing to do with the computer. Once I changed the router, I never saw that message again.

That's just my take, yours is probably different. Good Luck!!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 9:44am
Hi bmicinski,

Sorry to hear about the wireless connection issue. I'll be honest, it seems like that ASUS model might not like to work with your router/wireless setup. I don't believe it's the actual computer that has an issue or a defect.

I recommend trying a different brand/model of the wireless adapter to see if the issue goes away. We'll be more than happy to give you a refund on the price you paid for the wireless adapter so you could purchase one elsewhere if it's faster for you to get up and running.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Aug 2015 at 7:39pm
Went to best buy on my lunch break today to get a different usb adaptor to see if that would work. Still nothing.

My dad came over tonight instead to look at it. We found out the computer set itself somehow and for some reason incorrectly in terms of the connection. When you map the connection it goes from the router to the switch, and then back to the router instead of to the PC like it is supposed to.

Anyone encountered this before? We have given up for tonight. Been at it for about 2-1/2 hrs and can't get it to send the signal the proper direction no matter what we try.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 3:55am
My only other suggestion is to go to the motherboard website and install latest usb, etc. drivers.     
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:23am
I can confirm the problem (dad here). Odd thing is it worked for several days before losing the internet connection. When you map the network it appears the DS pc is attached to the router, I can ping it. Once at the router though the signal is going to a switch, I am guessing within the router, and then back to the router with no internet connection. I have checked the router setup from his laptop and everything looks in order. I can see his desktop DS computer within the router settings. I have also disabled the miniport within the computer to no avail. The following all work - android phones, iphone, laptop, Google Nexus tablet. Just the DS computer running into this problem. At this point since I can ping the router I am guessing it is the way the router is handling his wireless connection but am at a loss. Have tried Asus dongle and a netgear with no luck. I am taking a pci Linksys card over this afternoon to try. Maybe I should just set router to its default and start over. Any suggestions?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 8:47am
Strange problem.     I would boot to Safe mode, F8, with networking and see if it connects.  If so then another program or device is causing the problem.    If still no connection , then I don't have anything.  The usb's work otherwise?   Unplug anything external into usb and try it.    
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 11:55am
Dad got it working. Booted to safe mode with networking. Then rebooted out of safe mode and it started working now.

Now i get to play until my hearts content again! haha
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2015 at 11:58am
Nice.  Awesome   What a DAD.  Strong

If it happens again I'd look for something else running or a new install/update messing with you. 

Edited by bprat22 - 22 Aug 2015 at 11:59am
OccamsRazor View Drop Down

Quote OccamsRazor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 7:35am
How did the PCI card work for you?
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:11am
We didnt wind up using it. Internet started working fine with Netgear wireless adaptor so we left that in and didnt mess with anything else.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 9:57am
However, I am now encountering a new problem...

After playing it a few times the computer and internet all seemed to be running fine. Started playing last and this morning with no issues. However, when I booted it back up just a few ago after returning home I noticed the game I was playing starting stuttering bad and the audio sounded funny. I decided to quit out of the game and steam to just reboot the computer and see if that fixed the issue but I never made it that far. The computer crashed to a blue screen saying:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The system encountered an uncorrectable hardware error.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart the computer."

And it goes on to say if the problem persists try make sure everything is installed properly etc. And lists a stop error code of some numbers and letters. Mostly a bunch of zeroes. Then the computer shut itself off.

When i rebooted it i turned it on in safe mode. Everything seemed fine so i then shut it down from safe mode completely. When I rebooted the second time it brought up a new listing a bunch of other information and the error it listed was that the CPU was running over temperature. While i was in that UEFI BIOS Utility screen advanced mode displaying a number of other options neither the mouse or keyboard would work for me to look at anything, and the CPU showed a temperature reading of 90 degrees celsius! Then the computer shut itself down again while inside the BIOS.

I unplugged the back of the computer and all the cables from the surge protector and left them undone for a few minutes. After plugging everything back up windows booted up normally but crashed to the blue screen again.

After unplugging everything again i booted it up a third time and this time everything seemed to be running normally finally. It connected to the internet and I was going to download realtemp to check and see if the CPU was in fact running hot or if there was false reading. While on google and going to the page to download the computer crashed again before i could do anything.

I'm pretty much at a loss. My dad will come look at it again either tonight or tomorrow when he is free. I will also email the two pictures I've taken of the screens to digital storm and call them tomorrow on my lunch break. However, I'm starting to really lose my patience with this whole process. The computer has been in my possession for nearing a month now and has not run more than 4 days without encountering an issue.

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 11:21am
I would check the cpu cooler, I believe you have the 120mm liquid cooler.  Check it for the fan working and touch the top of the pump unit attached to the cpu to see if you can feel it working.   The air coming out of the radiator's fan should be warm to hot if the pump and fluid are carrying the heat to the rad. 

90C after its been off for a few minutes does seem like cpu overheat. 

If you can get it to run a few minutes, download Bluscreenview or WhoCrashed and open them up.  A few lines down will list the fault.  A google search or listing here might help show the cause.

If you did any work inside the case with the other problem then double check you didn't bump anything loose, like a connector. 

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Aug 2015 at 11:23am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:04pm
I replied to your email just now, but I'll also include what I wrote below. It looks like something seems disconnected (fans or pump) when you were working on the PC.

Please check if the pump wire is connected (red arrow). The pump itself is the green arrow. Also, check if the fans are spinning (blue arrow).

bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:43pm
Thanks for the quick response Alex. We never actually had to open the case for the internet issue. We were able to fix everything from outside the case using a different wireless adaptor and in BIOS. As a precaution though i went ahead and opened the case to check everything you listed.

The computer is currently running, booted up fine, and has been running several minutes now. When i was having issues it would have crashed already by now. Both fans a re running and you guys did a great job on the internals. I checked the cable and is firmly plugged and has enough slack that it is being pried free either.

I can confirm at the time of playing the game when i was experiencing the issue the front fan was running because i can clearly see it at all times through the window. Not sure about the back fan. But with everything secure on the internals i would venture to say it was running as well.

Anyways, after leaving it off for awhile it has booted up fine with no issues. I'm going to download realtemp now to run that as well just to be on the safe side and make sure it won't start supposedly running hot again.

Thanks again for the quick responses and helpful tips while i aired out some frustrations.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:44pm
I guess I spoke too soon. It just crashed to blue screen again and shut itself down...anything else I should be looking for?
Steveski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Steveski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 12:44pm
Brian is checking all that at home now and will get back with you. However, we never opened the case since we finally got the internet working just by booting into safe mode with networking and after that worked the internet worked fine after rebooting. I feel kind of bad since my DS computer has run almost flawlessly for about 6 years and my son bought his somewhat based on my experience and his has only worked properly a few days out of 20 days or so now. Seems strange to have one problem after another on a brand new computer especially with the QA testing DS does.

Quote OccamsRazor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:32pm
I would venture to say something was damaged during shipping maybe. I just purchased an Apollo, my first rig from DS. Most reviews I've read quote a positive experience with DS, which is mostly why I decided to do business here.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 2:43pm
Yea same here. I'll just have to wait and see what they say. I'm really not sure what else I can do on my end. And as far as the case and internals are concerned everything is still spotless, clean, and in order. But i guess that doesnt necessarily mean something still didnt get damaged somehow?
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:14pm
Additionally, i just tried loading in safe mode so i could download the realtemp and see if it truly was overheating. It was still shut down "improperly" from the last time it crashed so i just booted in safe mode with networking. I was able to download the realtemp but never got a chance to run it because it crashed even in safe mode.

I will call digital storm tomorrow and hopefully get a walkthrough of what i can do to correct the problem.

Quote OccamsRazor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by bmicinski

Additionally, i just tried loading in safe mode so i could download the realtemp and see if it truly was overheating. It was still shut down "improperly" from the last time it crashed so i just booted in safe mode with networking. I was able to download the realtemp but never got a chance to run it because it crashed even in safe mode.

I will call digital storm tomorrow and hopefully get a walkthrough of what i can do to correct the problem.

I would refrain from booting it further to prevent damage until the DS guys tell you otherwise.
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Aug 2015 at 3:42pm
Yea when I realized I couldnt do anything in safe mode even I just left it alone and unplugged everything.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 11:31am
The system is designed to shut off if things get out of control before there is any harm that is done.

I suggest having our support team try to figure out what might be the issue. Or, we can always have the unit serviced for you and have it come to see what happened.

I'm sorry about the issues you are having, it's quite rare for a customer to have issues like this. Rest assured, we're here to take care of you. That' why you picked Digital Storm!

Feel free to email me a good day/time that works for you, I can have our support team contact you then, my email is "[email protected]"
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 4:47pm
UPDATE:

For those who care/have been following. Alex was a huge help even shooting a couple quick things to try on Sunday of all days. Ultimately nothing seemed to work. I emailed him a time I could be reached and was called by Mike (who I spoke with previously about my internet issue). And he was for the second time very polite and helpful walking me through some steps over the phone to diagnose what was wrong with my blue screen crashings.

After checking the fans, tubes, screws, etc and looking in BIOS at temp and fan speeds it was evident that the pump itself was not working properly and everything else seemed to be running the way it should.

New pump is being sent to me to arrive in 4 business days and Mike told me to call back and I would get walked through how to install it and then make sure it was running ok.

That is all for now. Will update again when I receive the pump and get it installed on how things are running.

Thanks again Alex and bpratt for offering some weekend suggestions and please tell Mike I said thank you too.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Aug 2015 at 4:52pm
Thanks for the update.     Makes sense the pump wasn't working right.

DS will make it right.
OneEyeRed View Drop Down

Quote OneEyeRed Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 4:28am
Now that's some customer service. The fact Alex even stepped up on his day off, wow. Thanks for updating as this confirms to me that I have made a excellent purchase.

Customer service is everything. You can have the best product on the planet but if your customer service suffers and is non-existent, your business will not prosper.

Now put the two hand in hand and you have a stellar finish.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:04am
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2015 at 4:54pm
UPDATE:

I received the new pump assembly monday afternoon. I tried calling twice and left a voicemail the second time and didnt get a call back. Honestly I'm not really surprised I'm sure mondays are crazy.

Called back today (Tuesday) and spoke with a rep. I told him I spoke with another rep (leaving names out intentionally) previously about calling back when my new pump came in to get walked through how to switch them out. He took my information and said he was on another line (the rep i spoke with previously) and would call me back when he was off. Still 10 minutes left in the day their time but I doubt i will be getting called back at this point.

No big deal really - however i would like to point out that in digitalstorms replacement part emails they say the old/bad part has to be returned in a certain time frame otherwise the hold they put on the card will be charged.

Kinda can't send it back in a timely manner if I can't get a call back to get your bad out and I'm definitely not gonna be held responsible for that.

Will call back again tomorrow when i get home from work and hopefully I will be able to get a hold of someone then.

Is it really necessary that I speak with the rep I initially talked to? Maybe informational purposes? If the other guy answers the phone why can't he walk me through it if his buddy is busy? I called the tech line after all.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:32am
Hi bmicinski,

You have thirty days to get your broken part back to DS. If you are delayed by DS for some reason, I am sure they will make allowances if justified.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 02 Sep 2015 at 7:32am
bmicinski View Drop Down

Quote bmicinski Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2015 at 7:13pm
UPDATE:

Thanks for the heads up Frank. My email says 14 days though and we had blown through 3 already and it typically takes another 4-5 for UPS to ship to Cali from my area so i was a little concerned.

However, I did get a call from DS late today and was walked through attaching the liquid cooling unit. Rep was very polite, patient, and thorough. Very impressed. I've since been checking the temperature and will continue to do so over the next few days just to be safe. All seems fine. Guess i just had some bad luck and got a crummy pump initially...no big deal though. Overall i would say it was fixed it a timely and professional manner, very impressed.

Thanks again Alex and tell whoever gave me a hand today thanks too!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 12:28am

Quote OccamsRazor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 4:46am
Another victory for DS customer service
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2015 at 5:31am
Hi bmicinsky,

Good news that you are up and running. According to the warranty posted in the support forum a laptop has fourteen days and a desktop has thirty days.

Frank

This is from the DS Warranty.

"F. Return Window for Replacement Hardware

If Digital Storm does not receive replacement hardware back within the stated time frame below, Digital Storm reserves the right to charge the customer for the value of the hardware, and/or, VOID the customers warranty and technical support services.

•Desktops: 30 Days: Old hardware returned back to Digital Storm within 30 days from shipment of new hardware.

•Laptops: 14 Days: Old hardware returned back to Digital Storm within 14 days from shipment of new hardware."

Maybe Alex can tell us if this is still correct?

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 03 Sep 2015 at 5:33am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>