Processing digital video: heavy load on CPU

Post Date: 2014-04-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Processing digital video: heavy load on CPU
    Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 4:30pm
I have a new Slade build, a fantastic, capable machine. Cooling and dust management are important to me as I live in a non air-conditioned house in Los Angeles.

Processing a short video this morning in Sony Vegas drove my CPU usage to 93% and temp to 87 degrees, which I did not expect and do not know whether to find alarming.

I was disconcerted to see the CPU usage meter in the red and the fans spooling up as the temps rose. I have a water-cooled CPU but wonder how much strain I'd put on it if I processed a longer video. Would anyone care to comment? Many thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 5:42pm
Sony Vegas is very cpu intense and is using what you have. That's a good thing.

Your cpu temp is safe but getting up there. If you opted to have your case and cpu fans optimized for quiet, I would go into Bios and set them from Quiet or Standard, to Performance. It will increase you case airflow and the airflow through the rad for better cooling. It will be noisier but cooler.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:02pm
As always, many thanks, bp22.

I've never fiddled with bios before. Like the registry, I've been told that it's best left alone unless you really know what you're doing. How easy is it to alter and then alter back and is it done in a Win 8.1 utility?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 6:11pm
Bios is a lot safer and easier than messing with the registry. Turn off the rig, turn back on and immediately start hitting the DEL key. It might take a couple of tries. That takes you to the Bios EZ screen. On the right you'll see the case and cpu fan drop downs to set what you need. If DS set bios to boot to the Advanced screen, not common, Monitor tab, it's in there also. Q-fan enable and the set the fans. If in doubt, the mobo manual will help.

Good luck.

I have to take off, so if you have any problems navigating Bios, I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Edited by bprat22 - 30 Apr 2014 at 6:26pm
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Apr 2014 at 7:44pm
Thanks again. I do not plan to render any more DV any time soon but next time I do so, particularly if there's a lot of it, I will refer to your valuable advice in this thread.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 2:43am
You're welcome. Have fun.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 May 2014 at 11:44pm
Ah good ole video rendering. One of the many reasons I went for a 2011 socket build rather than 1155 or 1150 build. All compressing, encoding, etc... video editing software will always push your cpu usage very high. Pretty good chance unless you have an extreme build, it'll lag your system. Just what they do. They utilize all resources available.

And bprat is right. Those temps are safe. Most intel cpu's have a threshold of like 105 degree's or something up there. So technically it should shut it's self down before it does any serious harm to it's self. But bprat is also right. If you do it again, screw silence... turn them fans up. Dust is a killer, but heat is the number killer to PC's. It is so detrimental to PC parts.

When I render video's, I have a custom liquid cooling set up. I also keep my house at 68F year around. My CPU idles and stays in the ~20's C as I play games and surf the web. When I render and my CPU is under full load for up to an hour, I myself reach ~55-60C.

I only give you the comparison to show you that even extremely well cooled PC in a cool room heats up. Turn those fans up. Deal with the noise. It'll be worth it in the long run.
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply