Post Date: 2010-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Online Status: Offline
  Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Project PRIME!
    Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 12:58am

Alright so this is a ground up build, its done already, so the entire start to finish is below, enjoy!

The building blocks:

Haf932 (blue edition)

Gigabyte P55USB3

i7 875k

2x2 Patriot Viper 2 Sector 5 2400

MSI Gtx 470

750tx Corsair

500 gb Barracuda

Noctua U12P cooler

2x Liteon dvd/cd burners

Kama 5.25x3 mount + Slipstream

2xred and 2xblue cathode lights

Clean and simple idea, paint the inside black, strong cable management, add the kama bay, and have a solid machine. Plenty of personal reviews/assessments/suggestions for anyone who is a newer builder.

This is actually my first ground-up build.

Day 1

All but mobo arrives, first up is the case. HAF 932, went with the blue edition because of my idea to have lighting options, the clear fans will compliment the cathode tubes well. So gripe number 1, no manual in my HAF box, I didn't plan to use it all that much, but just makes me feel weary, like I'm getting a refurb or something. I'll also say that the box did not included a screwdriver or alen wrench to work with the case. Again, not a huge problem since I would usually use my own, I was lucky enough to have an alen wrench that fit perfectly.

Pictures:

So outside of no included tools, the case was very easy to strip down, seemed made to take apart. All of the tool-less features do a great job of being lightweight and easy to use without being too cheap. As you can see in the pictures here, I already popped the top console.

Now, maybe this is standard, but the front i/o connections were HOT glued. I found this to be very bad form personally. I had to cut off the glue to remove several things and reduce clutter.

Picture:

If anyone has looked up painting/taking apart this case, you already know that the 5.25 tool-less parts are well designed... unless you want to take them off. Ended up using 2 flatheads to push both clips down slowly, still had to search for the springs that jumped out a few times, and before I found this method, I gashed myself pretty well. Stripping everything really only took about an hour, I went really slow on purpose, could have done it in 30 min on the first time if I was in a hurry. With the military / boxy design of this case, taping off the parts I didnt want to paint was also quite easy. Just used some painters tape and some magazine pages.

Pictures:

Total time on day 1, 3 hours. Ready to paint tomorrow.

Day 2

Mobo came in from Newegg. Not that I have to tell most of you, but Newegg is such an amazing site. So quick, easy, smooth. I can't imagine another company giving a better buying experience. All the orders were smooth, good pricing, quick delivery.

I will say, checking over the boxes, that both the mobo and the 470 boxes were not sealed. They seemed very new inside, but still makes me uneasy.

The noctua box is SO heavy, made me nervous about having this piece hang off the mobo. Now to head into my professional painting booth. Will be painting the inside and back of the body, insides of both sides, the PSU mount and the removable PSU slot shield.

Pictures:

Painting is probably what I spent the most time reading up on. I have used spraypaint on several occasions, but these were all farm-related, not exactly new car painting.

I read about sanding, priming, blah blah. But to be realistic, the factory paint on the case wasn't anything amazing. Not that it is bad, its painted to look rugged, and it does. So since im only painting the inside, theres no reason to get a ferrari finish on it, for obvious reasons. So I used some good ol' Krylon x2 Satin Black finish. Worked wonderfully. Better than expected actually. Check the last picture for a side by side comparison of my paint to CoolerMaster's.

Painting strat was very simple, semi-quick, light strips, about 6 or so coats on each part, very gradual progress. I only let each coat dry for about a minute, the final coat I went slower, basically just feathered over each area until I could see a reflection. The paint grabbed very well. Again, very pleasently suprised with how well it turned out.

Total time: 30 minutes. Obviously there was wind involved, and a few little bugs, I just used a can of air duster to move them off. Didn't have any damage to the paint.

Still day 2, cleared a work table to do a once over on everything I ordered. I will set up a torture rack to test and plan everything before touching the case, I left it in the very warm garage for 3 days to 100% cure.

Alright, so lets get the rack set up.

Pictures:

Gigabyte's board was solid. Nothing amazing, but for the price range it serves quite well. color scheme is a little funky :) but thats not a big deal.

Ram/Chip/Cooler

Pictures:

The patriot ram had a cool tough look and feel to it, much like the HAF case. Both the ram and chip were a clean install. Make sure if you are doing this for your first time that you check your motherboard's manual before installing anything. Typically ram goes in slot 1 and 3 if you are only using 2 stick. Reading a little can save you a lot of hassle later on.

Next is the Noctua cooler, quite a beast.

Pictures:

You've seen these comments everywhere, but the Noctua colors scheme is so strange to me.

The bracket installation was a little nerve racking. Not difficult per se, but holding a mobo up with one hand while installing a bracket on the back of it can be pretty intimidating for someone who isnt comfortable with the hardware yet. Very nervous about doing damage to anything, but it all worked out. TIM applied, took 2 tries to get what I felt was a good clean line on it. Make sure if you have to remove it you use something that has no lint/fuzz, many people suggest coffee filters. And its not a bad idea to practice on some paper or something first, to avoid a hassle later.

Another small gripe. I originally planned on using rubber grommets on the heatsink to hold the fan off of it. But there were actually some rubber strips included by Nocta... they were WAY oversized. Again, not a big deal, just odd. Maybe they use the same strip for all thier products? Either way, just clipped off the extra, looked good after that.

The clearance between the intake fan and the ram was hairline. Got lucky on that one. If you don't get this lucky on your build, simply install the fan a little higher up on the heatsink, shouldnt be too much different cooling wise. If it were me, I would raise the exhaust too so they are even. This will likely give you better final results, even if it looks a little funny.

Next the GPU / PSU / HDD / DVD

Pictures:

Like I mentioned before, the 470 box was unsealed. Not happy about this, but the box seemed very new and factoryish, so I doubt it had been opened.

Corsair by far had the best packaging experience. Very neat box, good looking, a quality Corsair emblem bag inside. Bonus points for corsair here.

I used stacks of notebook paper as a grounding base, probably not needed on a wooden table, but it looked nice and neat :) and protected the table too.

Booted up the test bench with a small panic, everything kept looping to power, off, power, off. You'll get a kick out of this one. I completely overlooked the 12pin ATX connection. Had a quick laugh at myself after a successful boot. Windows 7 pro 64, very fast, very smooth installation. Can't say enough how easy this went.

End of day 2. Time spent, about 6 hours today.

2 day lapse to go see Chelsea Handler in Richmond!

Edited by !ender_ - 27 Jun 2010 at 1:44am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 1:00am

Day 3

The trip was at a perfect time to let my paint finish up. Stripped the tape and paper, again this turned out better than I expected. Now for the roofing nails that you may have seen in the test bench earlier.

Pictures:

Roofing nails??

I looked at several stores to find some rubber washers in bulk. Couldnt find anything close to what I needed (24 of them). There were a few 2 packs at lowes, but they were about .50 PER WASHER... So I got creative. Steel roofing nails come with rubber washers on the nails for a tight seal. So I just bought the roofing nails at Lowes for $4, which is what I expected to spend on a bigger pack of washers anyway, I think there were 100 in the box, this was a real winner.

I put the case back together using rubber washers for all the fan screws.

I took my time here too, wove everything around to make it a snug fit, seems self explanatory on how to do this. Theres no right way, just pay attention, try different things, be willing to work backwards and it will come together.

The tool-less design of the 5.25 brackets included screw holes, but they seemed to be in odd places, for the life of me I could not get the kama bay to take to the screws. So I improvised again. Used mini zip ties through the slots in the cage to get a nice firm fit, highlighted in green so you can see easier.

This is probably a standard that I didnt know about, but the motherboard only came with 2 SATA cables, I feel like this is a bit of a short. Mainly becuase any time I've gotten optical drives or Hdds, they don't come with cables either. I feel they should include as many as can be connected, at least with SATA plugs. Heres some more shots of the final wiring:

Pictures:

You can see in these last 2 that I included 2x red and 2x green cathode lights connected to a rear slot switch. Giving you 3 options for color :cool: and 3 more if you mix them!

Green:

Red:

Blue:

Mixed!:

shower time, worked on this for about 8 hours straight today, but its done! Tomorrow it will be time to overclock!

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 1:03am

So if anyone didnt see my Digital Storm / Intel review thread, you can check this out http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=11244

But for a brief overview of the results:

The temps of this build are very impressive in my opinion. The highs you see below are not from PCmark, that only got me to mid 70s, the burn tests from everest are the only things (besides prime95) that got me bumping over 80

as far as real world temps, the highest I got from an hour of crysis and mw2 is 68C

heres a few other pics

Oh and for fun I made a forum sig to go with it, wish we could use those here :)

You may have noticed that my fans changed from noctua to slipstreams to noctua again... I have to give real props to nocua on this one... the temp difference between the slipstreams and the noctua stock fans was next to nothing! maybe 3C at best.

Now you have to take this with a grain of salt.. the rear exhaust fan is only rated for 60 CFM, so I believe that the slipstreams were limited becuase they would push the air through faster but have to wait before thar warm air can actually exit the case. So I plan to, maybe tomorrow, swap the kama intake fan with the rear exhaust fan, also a 110cfm, to see if that makes the difference.

rodsmith View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote rodsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:00am
very nicely done,and grats on the new build
GosuHyunwoo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GosuHyunwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 3:59am
That's an awesome project! AwesomeHow'd you and Justin both get that processor? :OOO

justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 9:24am
nice build pics!  but how can you call a project Prime, when you have not passed the Prime test yet?? HahahaBig%20Smile

Edited by justin.kerr - 27 Jun 2010 at 11:00am
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:19am
hahahaha
send me some of those swifttech pieces and i will!

ive been really slammed, currently seeing how low i have to take it to keep my prime temps under 80... i dont see it being an exciting result

but like i said: in my own opinion, stable is doing what i use my computer for with silky smooth performance. currently, it has done that w/ 4.2 and stayed well under 80c

based on what ive seen so far ill probably have to go under 3.8 to keep a full prime test under 80c =/
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 11:54am
but that is far, far from stable... Crysis uses one core....hardly any load on CPU at all. a quick bench puts no stress on VRM's either.
 The OS will become corrupted, so many issues, and problems from running a unstable system.
 The biggest reason I wish you would run Prime95, is that even if your CPU overclock is stable, the QPI link is not, and that is where the corruption will come from, and also if you use an app/game that uses a lot of RAM bandwidth, there will be freezes/crashes.
Just trying to help from having issues down the road. BC2 uses 6 threads, and a lot of peeps with unstable systems, that thought they were stable, find out when they played it..
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 1:54pm
the ram is being so freaking fussy, memtest says stable then prime fails then memtest fails if i loosen the times and geez

might just go to factory and call it a day, the furthest down i can get going through memtest is
8 10 8 25 90  1  2384mhz
compared to the factory spec of
9 11 9 27 ?  1 2400mhz

starting to feel really not worth the effort
SemperFuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 5:27pm
Why a GTX-470 and not the 480?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jul 2010 at 5:41pm
budget
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jul 2010 at 8:22pm
Nice log of your build!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:54pm
holy crap so update here, after 3 weeks down im up and running again, my gigabyte board did a little snap crackle pop on me so i had to send it back for a new one, luckily, i got the next revision, so im hoping that means it wont happen again

rebuilt it completely but it looks pretty much the same this time, little better cable management.
i'll definitely say that going back and forth from my old system (q6600 2gb @ 11something cas 2 lol, 8800gts 512) makes me really appreciate the difference
minimizing sc2 while installing mw2 takes 0 time, compared to my last system which would hang trying that haha
welp back to overclocking we go!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 10:23pm
I have enjoyed reading about your system!  Good job!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Benson729 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 7:06pm
I was wondering, what is your no load (just at your desktop) cpu core temperature? I wanted to compare to my friends alienware that he is raving about.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 8:50pm
29-32c at 4.2 ghz

30-33 at my much higher blck OC, the one in my sig, 200x20
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Benson729 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:16pm
Ok while alienware has cooler temps it is only a stock 920 and it is still 25C.

Edited by Benson729 - 30 Aug 2010 at 10:17pm
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:11am

1. Idle temp are worthless.. mean nothing. nothing, can't stress it enough, idle temps have zero meaning, it is the same as measuring a lightbulb's temp when it is off..

2. stock CPU produce very little heat.

3. even stock CPU's will not idle at 25C unless in a cool room, put it in a 30C room, and it will not idle at 25C. lol

!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:27am
hes right, have your friends alienware run some prime 95 then 3dmark vantage and cinebench, we'll compare! Cool
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:39am
I would not compare loaded CPU temps of 4.0Ghz and stock. lol
Stock CPU speed, I can run prime 95 and keep temps in the 30'sC, 4.0Ghz will push them into the 50's. 4.5ghz takes it into the 60's, 4.8Ghz 70's.  All done in a cool room though. a raise ambient air will increase the water temps at a 1:1 ratio, so 10C hotter room, will bump those temps up 10C
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 9:51am
right but comparing the scores would drastically overshadow comparing the temps

at least to me Hahaha
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Benson729 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 11:15am
My friend probably won't do that he just got the alienware,I told him not to. When I told him your temps and showed him your build he got all pissed. He did not realize alienware uses a sales pitch he thought alienware WAS unmatched.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 11:45am

they do a wonderful job of advertising ... all the more reason to spread the word about DS

AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:49pm
!ender (got the name right this time lol) that really is an awesome paint job you did. Was it hard to paint without taking it apart? Do you feel painting while leaving it together is the way to go? (I'm thinking about painting my cm 840)

Edited by AndydViking - 31 Aug 2010 at 1:50pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Aug 2010 at 1:58pm
well i did take it most of the way apart, i didnt pop out any of the rivets becuase i dont really see the point in going through all that extra effort... i mean its the inside of your case.. thats like painting the inside of the hood of your car imo. you dont want it to suck but you dont have to do a perfect job either.
some people will tell you to wet sand and paint and sand some more and paint again and clearcoat it.. i mean i got 2 paint cans for about 8 bucks and you saw the side by side picture.. it matches almost perfectly... it matched even better after the paint cured some more

i think that a lot of people put too much effort and thought in to this process, i see no reason to drill out the rivets
Benson729 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Benson729 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 4:14pm
Is it true that the difference between a P55 rig and an x58 rig is minimal for gaming when running a single gpu? I saw this in another forum post and I am curious about your experiences with the 875k.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2010 at 4:41pm
single card support is no different between p55 and x58, even dual cards on p55 can run 8x 8x which is where the minimal difference from x58 comes in
3 cards or more, p55 can not keep up
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:01pm
in your opinion whats the best mobo for 2 gpus
Steam:pcmaster160
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:21pm
thankfully, the evga p55 sli and the evga x58 sli 3 are both cheap and all around outstanding mobos, hard to beat them for any standard or even upper end overclocking/gaming. if you want to get into more crazy 3-4 card support and cooling more extreme than water they have higher options, but i rarely look at those as i think of myself as a budget builder/overclocker to be sure
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Sep 2010 at 9:28pm
ok thanks. definitely going with the x58 sli 3.
maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:03pm
hey !ender what do you use your computer for?
just wondering

Edited by maxyme - 18 Sep 2010 at 11:03pm
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:37pm
everything
gaming of course, id call that the primary use, but not by a lot
photoshop art/painting/retouching
side jobs, also through photoshop
video editing
3d modeling
ameteur web work
internet too of course, id say at least an hour a day just reading about whatever im thinking about that day, i love learning lol Crazy

heres some of my crap
technically, this was all done on my old computer, lol. but i still do the same stuff

maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2010 at 11:42pm
wow ur so good at 3d modeling. what program do u use for it?
by armature web work do u know html? or do u use Dreamweaver or expression web or something?
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:04am
dreamweaver for web and 3ds max for 3d
im ok at modeling i much prefer photoshop

maxyme View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote maxyme Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2010 at 12:17am
I have never gotten the hang of 3d modeling and probably never will. I game alot as everyone does on these forums. But i also code, edit videos, photoshop stuff, and of course surf the web! but im really new to after effects and premiere and decent with photoshop.
 Post Reply Post Reply