Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MaxxOmega View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MaxxOmega Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Purchase Advice
    Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 8:04am

Guys

A little history. I've been building my own rigs for 2 decades. I have at home here 12 working Rigs from a few high end machines less than a year old to 2 crummy Netbooks.
6 years ago I spent $6K building a "Dream Machine". That was then and this is now. I will be 55 this year and coming into a litle money. Unfortunately my arthritic hands are making it harder for me to do my own builds. Plus this time I really want a high end laptop. I have $10K to work with and plan to buy 2 machines, 1 for me and 1 for my lovely wife who is a crazy gamer too. (She's 51 and will kick yer butt).
My question finally. Config doesn't matter, it will be very good with my budget. What I need is a decision on where to shop. I'm leaning 70% to Digital Storm but I also like the Alienware stuff I've seen.

Please help me decide where to shop. As I say I am already leaning to DS but want to make sure...

Thanks Guys
Tim

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 6:27pm
Is this for laptops or desktops?

fyi AW sucks, comparing DS to AW is like comparing a diamond to a rock.

just look at what you get from AW in a pc for example then look at what you get from DS, the pc from DS will blow away AW's best.

Edited by DST4ME - 14 Jan 2012 at 6:27pm
MaxxOmega View Drop Down

Quote MaxxOmega Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 7:38am
My original note says I'm looking at a Laptop this time. Not gonna build my own.
However, I can config an AW machine almost identical to a DS machine, exact same CPU, Video, etc so i think "blowing away" is somewhat harsh. However, that doesn't tell me anything about MB's. (ASUS or what else), Monitor (IPS, TN or what). Telling me AW sucks really doesn't tell me anything at all about the real differences.

In any case there are a lot of people very happy with their AW purchase, I doubt they are all just uninformed.

Edited by MaxxOmega - 15 Jan 2012 at 7:40am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 12:15am
they are misinformed, they just realize afterwards

Also I mentioned if you look at pcs, I love to see a AW pc that can hang with a good DS system.

Laptops I can't help you much cause I'm not expert in.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 1:19pm
Hi MaxxOmega,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you can get just what you are looking for from DS. A great company with great people to work with. Lets don't even talk about who makes the best computer. Lets consider that Del owns AW and they have a terrible reputation with users. Their support personnel are over seas and good luck understanding them. I have owned many Dell computers but finally switched to DS and very happy that I did. Please go to the National Better Business Bureau and look at the complaints with Dell/AW and then look at the complaints with DS. If that doesn't sell you nothing will. No company can satisfy every customer, every time. DS does a better job of taking care of problems and supporting its customers than any other computer company I know about. They are located in California and when you call for any reason, you talk to Americans. Then you have this forum that offers help from other customers who appreciate and support DS. We don't work for DS or receive any payment for our support. We just think DS is the best computer company and glad to help out other potential customers.

I know you say you want to get two laptops but are you sure this is the best selection for your gaming requirements? If you and your wife are "Crazy Gamers" you will have much better performance from a desktop. You will have better monitors, keyboards, sound and most important, better performance. With your budget we can help you build two killer machines for gaming. If you are dead set on laptops then that is up to you.

Frank

MaxxOmega View Drop Down

Quote MaxxOmega Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 8:41pm
Frank

Thank you very much for some helpful info. The link DST4ME provided is excellent too. AW really does sound scary...

The Laptop thing is pretty simple, my wife prefers a Laptop and she always has her own Rig. As I said in my original Email, we have 12 working machines here, the Desktops I built myself. I have very good equiptment to go with those Desktops, 30 Inch IPS Monitors, Razer Mice and Keyboards, 3 sets of Logitech 5500 speakers, D-Link NAS, etc. I actually plan on building another Desktop even though my hands are quite arthritic, but if I am going to buy a pre-built, it will be a laptop(s).

I hear what you say about support and while it is important to me, I rarely need to use support so it is not necessarily the deal breaker. I have had some experience with Dell Support and they truely are idiots, no doubt. But support and hardware are two different things. It's possible to have lousy support but still have a good product. (Sometimes)...

But something I am really looking for is someone who can tell me about the innards of the machines. Who makes the motherboards, drives, etc. I have heard that DS Laptops are re-branded Sagers? I'll do some more digging on the Net and see if I can find more answers. If I'm gonna spend $10 Grand, I wanna make sure I do it right, but as I said I am leaning towards DS I just wanna make sure...

Thank You Sir...

Edited by MaxxOmega - 16 Jan 2012 at 9:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply