FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Asus Mobos

Post Date: 2011-01-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Coronablade View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Coronablade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about Asus Mobos
    Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:30pm
I was trying to decide between the p8p67 and the p8p67 pro.

I read the regular one (minus the pro) doesnt support any dual GPU functions, neither SLI or Crossfire, but does the pro version support it? I doubt I would need SLI/Crossfire when I get my PC from you guys, but I rather future proof it if I can.

Who knows, maybe one day ill splurg for SLILOL
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:37pm
both can do sli, its the bandwidth they do it at, if I remember correctly, the p8p67 will do dual at x8 and x4, while the pro does it at x8 and x8.

Quote Coronablade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:46pm
I was reading a review about the p8p67. It said it couldn't do SLI because of a 4x bandwidth issue ( I've been looking at reviews for every single piece of hardware I'm buying with the PC I'm getting in a few weeksLOL It's the only distraction I have for the fact that I can't place my order yet Cry)

theOffbrand View Drop Down

Quote theOffbrand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Jan 2011 at 11:50pm
Originally posted by Coronablade

I've been looking at reviews for every single piece of hardware I'm buying with the PC I'm getting in a few weeksLOL It's the only distraction I have for the fact that I can't place my order yet Cry

i feel the exact same way and thats all im doing too
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:08am
maybe it does it as x4 and x4, either way you can do sli/cf with that, depending your res/the game you could notice teh difference or you may not.

for example here with a 480 at x4 you won't notice the diffrerence between x16 and x4.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Jan 2011 at 12:09am

Quote Coronablade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:13am
Not that I don't believe you DST but I found another review about itHahaha. According to this one it supports Crossfire but not SLI? Im tech savvy but i don't know enough about mobos yet, but I would believe a DS forum guru over randomly googling reviewsLOL But heres the review I found anyways because well...I'm bored and want to order my PC so badDrooling

"The P8P67 comes with two full length PCIe x16 slots, with only one operating at x16 which is the dark blue slot closest to the CPU socket. The black slot (nestled between the light blue legacy PCI slots) stands at x4, but also shares bandwidth with the two x1 slots, as well as the USB 3.0 headers; however, according to ASUS the black x16 slot is defaulted to x1 in order to provide the second USB3 controller optimal bandwidth. If you do decide to run a Crossfire with this motherboard, then the second full-length slot can be assigned all four remaining PCIe lanes (to run @ x4) in the BIOS to try and get the most out of the second GPU used. SLI however is not supported on this model though."

Source:http://www.pro-clockers.com/motherboards/1784-asus-p8p67-socket-1155-motherboard.html?start=2
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:31am
I had been looking at older reviews, you can still run sli off of one pci lanes,but to do 2 nvidia cards in 2 pci lanes won't work I guess. I'm not a 100% sure here to be honest the mobo is new and I have not had much time to read a lot about it.

we never recommend the p8p67 for sli/cf, the pro is the one we go with for dual sli.

Edited by DST4ME - 27 Jan 2011 at 12:32am

Quote Coronablade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 12:51am
That's all I needed I needed to knowHahaha

Awesome help as always DST, thanks.

I'm gonna go with the pro then to give me a little future proofing.

Out of curiosity, if I do go SLI in the future I know ill need a bigger PSU(buying a 750w, I'll need 1000w based on what I've seen). How easy is it to swap a PSU out?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2011 at 1:37am
No point in paying for psu twice and do install, go with 1000w now if you want to go sli in the future.

My pleasure and good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply