FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Hot Swap SSD bay

Post Date: 2014-12-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jorlit View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jorlit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about Hot Swap SSD bay
    Posted: 09 Dec 2014 at 9:35pm
So I just received my new build with an SSD hot swap bay installed. However, when I insert my Crucial MX100 SSD it doesn't show up as a storage drive anywhere. It does show up under the intel rapid technology program saying it is available however. I was thinking maybe I needed to format the drive first, but since the computer doesn't recognize it as a storage drive there is no place for me to do that. Does anyone have any advice?

Here's my build:
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0 GHz (Codename Devils Canyon) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z97-PRO (Intel Z97 Chipset) (Features 802.11ac Wi-Fi Connectivity)
System Memory: 32GB DDR3 2133MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: Dual Solid State Hard Drive Hot Swap Bay
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4GB (ASUS Strix Edition)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Radiator) (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Fans: Upgrade All Fans to Corsair Airflow Performance Edition (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 4:17am
Hi jorlit.. The hot swap can be a pain to initially use. Some require the drive to be wiggled back and forth and pushed in harder than you'd think to get a good connection.

Did the led light?   Open the side panel and check the rear of the hotswap drive. Should be a Sata power connection and Sata data connections from the drive to the motherboard.

If all checks out then go into Disk Management in Control Panel and see if it shows. It might have to be Initilzed and formatted.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Dec 2014 at 4:27am
jorlit View Drop Down

Quote jorlit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:21am
Originally posted by bprat22

Hi jorlit.. The hot swap can be a pain to initially use. Some require the drive to be wiggled back and forth and pushed in harder than you'd think to get a good connection.

Did the led light?   Open the side panel and check the rear of the hotswap drive. Should be a Sata power connection and Sata data connections from the drive to the motherboard.

If all checks out then go into Disk Management in Control Panel and see if it shows. It might have to be Initilzed and formatted.

Good luck.

Disk Management was the place I needed to go. I was able to create a new volume and format the drive from there. Thanks!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Dec 2014 at 8:27am
Nice. Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply