FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question about space in C drive

Post Date: 2008-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
StevieBoy88 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question about space in C drive
    Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:05pm
I just got my laptop today so I'm happy. Was too excited till I even cut myself opening the boxes >.<. But just want to thanks DSO for everything

as for the question, the local disk C: space seems to be taken up even though i didn't really install anything onto it, i just installed games on the other hd i have, so i was just wondering what's with that? i have a vista 32bits.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:12pm
when your games and HD files are big files, they take a lot of room.

look at the size of the folder/s that have your game and the folder/s that have your HD files and you will see how big they are

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:15pm
Well ya, I have two hard drives and i put the games in one and the other one i left it untouch which is the drive that has the OS, and that's the one with the space going less even though i didn't install any games on it or put any files in it..and the space is being taken up by i don' tknow what..

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:16pm
yes it's on a C: drive and it's 150 GB but with the OS on it..when i first open it has 125gb left..but now it's down to 122gb even though i didn't put anything in it

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:22pm
They're both 150gb sata drives

Local C:
Used space: 28,706,353,152 bytes   26.7GB
Free space: 131,332,554,752bytes  122GB
Capacity 160,038,907,904bytes         149GB

New Volume E:
Used space: 13,404,168,192 bytes  12.4GB
Free space: 146,634,739,712bytes  136GB
Capacity 160,038,907,904bytes         149GB

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:25pm
Ooo, alright then. Sorry I'm not really good with all these stuff. But thanks, if it's still taking up the space even though i didn't install anything, i'll be back here asking the pros :D
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:33pm
do have system restore enabled? when was the last time you ran CCleaner?

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:40pm
well i just got my laptop today, and i still have get the internet access..but i hope by tomorrow i'll get them..

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:42pm
to HM...no i got what you mean...no matter what games i install in the second drive there's going to be a small part being put in the main drive..but what i meant earlier was that i didn't even install and the main drive space was still being taken up a little by little
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:42pm
3GB for the games you have installed and any thing they had to save, is not that much IMO.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:44pm
If its not your games then its probably system restore or temp files or something backing up data, otherwise it would be a virus or something.

Quote StevieBoy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 10:59pm
lol...thanks DST and HM..i'll keep an eye out...
and i don't think it's virus cause i don't have access to internet and i don't think i have any cds with virus..hope not :S...this is my first day with the comp..it would be upsetting getting virus the first day..
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2008 at 11:04pm
I don't think its a virus either, it probably system restor or as HM said windows updates maybe or something like that.

when you get a chance download and run ccleaner and then we will see if its temp files or not.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Nov 2008 at 11:07pm
FLighT View Drop Down

Quote FLighT Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2008 at 8:28am
I'm not certain but if you are on Vista (as I am on one box) I believe it allows System Restore to use a much higher (as in ridiculously high) percentage of your hard drive than XP did. It should level out at some maximum percentage and start throwing out old restore points to allow new ones in. I'm not at home so I don't have access to my Vista library (he he) but you may be able to get some info on it from windows help area or just Google System Restore and see what comes up.

And, of course, if you allow Windows to automatically install updates you'll get a lot of stuff thrown on without knowing about it as it goes on in the background, especially with a new box. DS unlike Dell won't throw 100MB of bloatware on their setups that take your active processes and start up programs to, well, too dam many. I've been on my new DS box for about 6 weeks, but I only do Windows update manually to avoid bloatware, things I don't need and will never use. Generally the high priority security updates are needed, and it's best never to allow windows to update "any" drivers for you. That's why I won't do auto updating. But I read each and every description of a patch before installing it manually, if I don't need it I just mark it "hidden" for the future. A patch to fix a process I've never used or will never use (faxing related for example), why put it on the OS?

Edited by FLighT - 18 Nov 2008 at 8:41am
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
 Post Reply Post Reply