FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question for Alex/DS/forums on a customization

Post Date: 2012-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question for Alex/DS/forums on a customization
    Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 12:16pm
So i was thinking about this build:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploaddreadnought.asp?id=668786%20

But i was talking to a friend that is supposed to be "know it all" since it works in microsoft, keeps on telling me to build it myself. Obviously i suck at it and i didn't wanna go with it. However, his comments/suggestions may seem valid and I'd like to run it by you guys first :)

1. He says that the stock 570's that it comes with on the site is decent, but could use more cooling and he recommends this over the stock one on the site: (comes with 2 fans instead of one)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127582

Arguement: "the original card is decent, runs a bit hot though. the colder your card is the better it will run. You can have a tri SLI 680 system, but if you dont have good enough cooling they'll run slower than a 550 with good cooling. Right now, video cards arent the bottleneck in a system. Ram speed and hard drive speed are the biggest killers.That's why I spent $800 on solid state disks, and $150 on a vid card."Newegg twin fan 570

2. On DS forum , everyone recommends the P8P67 deluxe because of its reliability.

My friend says to get the ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 (Intel Z68 Chipset) (Features Intel Quick Sync Technology) over the delux

Argument: "z68 board has more sata ports, a pci 3.0 x16 slot instead of a 2.0 slot, better integrated sound, and it is newer. The delux board is 2 generation old."

However, what i remember was that the delux board was the best if you want to get enough spacing for the D14 fans, is that true? because people always complain about how their D14 cpufan/ram/video card get all jacked up and out of place because it's hard to put it on.

All i have for now. help?
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 12:41pm
And #3

the Intel 320 vs the 120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Force GT Series CSSD-F120GBGT-BK) (SATA 6Gbps

He votes for the corsair:

"$6 more, twice as fast"

Against intel's reliability comment: "    It's reliable, but so is a 1980 mercedes diesel.    Pentium 4 processors are pretty reliable too"

"    320 = two generations old.     sandforce = 1 generation old. samsung 830 = current goodness."

"    Intel: stable & slow. Corsair: less stable & fast. Samsung: stable & fast."

"    intel focuses their drives on the server markets, where stability is far more important
    they do it at a huge sacrifice to speed."

"the point remains the same. Would you rather crash once every hundred games, but have your games run faster. Or would you rather crash every two hundred games, but have your games run slower?"

So he suggest me to newegg ship the samsung one to DS to install. but seeing DS doesn't even offer samsung i'm afraid that DS might not know all the in's and outs / compatibility issues when installing the samsung SSD, so might have to go to the corsair one..?

Edited by darbebo - 26 Mar 2012 at 12:43pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:23pm
Hi darbedo.....If you put the stock 570 from config page in to the p8p67 deluxe board or put the Twin Frozr 570 into the z68 gen 3 mobo will make no difference in performance,  The Twin Fozr might run quieter and allow for higher gpu oc, but that's it.
As long as a gpu runs in the safe zone for heat, one that runs 15C cooler than another isn't going to give a higher performance.  Tri-sli680"s running hotter than a gtx550 will not lag behind the 550 as you asked, unless you're burning the 680's up.

Nothing wrong with the Twin Fozr..it probably will run quieter as long as the case can get rid of the added heat.

We are recommending more and more the z68 Gen 3 mobo over the p67 deluxe mainly because it is newer.  But, either mobo will be all most buyers will need.  They're both great.  The z68 does have integrated gpu, but what  gamer is gonna use that,  It's great for troubleshooting to see if a problem if gpu, but that's it.  The z68 has SSD caching, but it only works if I understand it right, if you have a 40GB SSD or less, and few have that.   The z68 does support pcie 3.0  but gpu's don't saturate even the pcie 2.0, not even the gtx680.   Only in a multi gtx680 config for example will the second X8 slot Maybe get saturated, but maybe not.  Again, most will never see the difference.

There might be other features on the z68 one likesover the p67 deluxe,  but like I always say, compare mobo's and see what you need.

The z68 gen 3 is Ivy Bridge capable, not sure if p67 deluxe is.  But again, most buyers will not swap their cpu for a new one when Ivy bridge comes out.

You can't go wrong with either mobo, for most people.

As far as SSD, I don't have a clue.  I'll let others address that.

Hope that helps.

Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:38pm
Hello darbebo,

I'll see what I came up with in regards to a response:

1.) The Stock 570 vs MSI Twin Frozr III, you will see absolutely no performance difference. Yes, the Frozr does have a better cooling system, but that is only going to matter if you plan to seriously tweak and overclock your GPU to the point where you are changing extremely small voltages for miniscule gains. The Frozr series is, and always was, designed for cases with sub-par airflow (ie NOT the HAF-X) or for people who intend to seriously overclock their GPUs. The HAF-X will handle the standard 570s with no issue, so that's not a concern. So unless you plan on competition level GPU overclocking that won't make any difference (at all) in your gameplay, then I'd skip the extra fees of getting the Frozr. Remember, you will have to pay DS for the added warranty, installation, and testing of the card. As a side point to this, heat only affects the performance of a card when its at critical levels, your GPUs won't be at critical heat levels. In order for your friend's argument of Tri 680s to be outperformed by a single 550, the three 680s would need to be melting.

2. I don't configure many builds for people, my attention span isn't large enough Hahaha. But I would go with the z68 board myself, namely because z68 is just p67 with a few more bells and whistles added, many of which you will not use. But because it is newer, it does have more growth potential, so it's what I would buy myself. As for the D14 on the z68 board, I honestly cannot say, but there are other routes than the D14 when push comes to shove.

3. Its the Intel 520 series you want. As as an FYI, I have the older X25M Intel SSD (x2 80GB in RAID), I haven't had an SSD crash in over 1.5 years. Not a single one. My friend who purchased a (Recently released) Corsair SSD is on his 3rd RMA. This isn't to say that Corsair is inherently bad, its just to show you that I can mention personal anecdotes that favor Intel just the same as your friend can for other brands. Big%20Smile

Edited by Tidgxor - 26 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
Brewtus View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Brewtus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:39pm
Darbebo,

I understand where you are coming from. When I was piecing together my system, I sounded exactly like you.

At the end of the day, everyone is going to have their own opinion. There are many factors people take into consideration when determining if a component is "good" or not. Some go for pure performance, others reliability, and some like a combination of both.

You made valid points to your friend and your friend made valid points as well. He seems very tech savvy -- for him having the latest and greatest might be an important factor. Also, it sounds like he knows how to build his own computer. Swapping or changing parts will be fairly easy for him.

According to your post, you're not exactly looking to get your feet wet with installing your own hardware. I might be over stepping my bounds here, but chances are you have a budget. I would assume you would like to stay within that budget. As a result, you will have to make sacrifices on certain parts. If you don't have a budget, then go nuts.

The build you posted looks almost identical to my build -- I bought mine in November. The highest temperature I have seen my GTX 570 get is ~70 C. This is after playing BF3, Batman Arkham CIty, Skyrim, Diablo 3 Beta, SC2, and SWTOR. If you are really worried you could add an additional fan inside of the case that would help cool the GPU. Also, you could upgrade to the 680 -- from what I have read it is very efficient and runs cool.

One of the things I would change regarding your build is the PSU. I would opt for the Corsair 1050. This would leave extra room for additional GPU or other hardware. I would also recommend upgrading to Windows Professional -- but that is just my opinion.

I have the Intel 320 SSD -- actually I have two of them. Sure they are not the latest or the fastest but they are reliable. Your friend is trying to compare the 320 series to a 32 year old card, which is just silly. Why not just get the WD Caviar Black and buy an SSD after you receive for your system. SSD are very easy to install.
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:59pm
i appreciate everyone's feedback!

it's -350 for no vid card, but it cost $300 for the dual fan 570 and another fee for installation, maybe it's not worth it...

i have no intention to SLI, so with the 750HX , per Bprat it should be enough even for the 680 i think.

as for the SSD, that's the toughest one..cuz i remember there was a much heated debate bewteeen the intel and the corsaid before.

the last thing i need to find out is if there are issues with the Z68 board with the D14...
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:05pm
Ooops, forgot the D14 question......theD14 fins overlap one of the 4 ram slots and the inboard fan overlaps one and almost two ram slots.    The fan is usually off set a little away from mobo to clear the stick.    For most gamrrs who only use 8gb, 2x4gb or 16gb, 2x 8gb sticks, it's not usually a problem.   If it does , DS will use lower profile sticks without the heat spreaders that add height to the ram.    Taking a fan off to reseat ram or change ram is pretty simple.       The safest thing to do is ask DS about the D14 on your mobo.   They do it everyday.       Yes, the 750HX will be great for a single gtx680.    Hope all this helps you make the right decision.    Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Mar 2012 at 2:11pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:14pm
Unless you're going to overclock your gpu, then save some aggrevation and get what DS has.   Just my opinion. You will have a great case to keep it cool.

Edited by bprat22 - 26 Mar 2012 at 2:16pm
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:28pm
Hello Darbebo, primarily just to fill in regarding your dilemna over the SSD's, you can generally categorize SSD's in to two different archetypes, your first type is:

Flash-Memory-Based: This type of SSD uses non-volatile computer storage (basically means the memory can retain information while not even being powered). More popular due to lower costs compared to DRAM. Incredibly reliable as well, but your friend is right, not AS fast. Hell when they first came out, they were still slower than the HDD's of the time,but have progressed marvelously since then.

And the second type is:

DRAM-Based: You can tell by the name, but this type of SSD is build around the volatile memory such as DRAM. Superfast access time, generally <10microseconds (10/1,000,000 sec), while not the MOST reliable, most manufactures are now including some form of backup power in case of power loss/ fluctuation to copy information from the RAM to backup storage.

Overall, as a gamer, you would be looking for a DRAM-Based SSD, while more costly, their speed is definitely worth it. So when looking over different companies, look at their format for their drives, and kind of mull over what fits your needs best.

Edited by Avelict - 26 Mar 2012 at 2:30pm
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 4:27pm
Intel 520 = currant goodness. That would be my choice.

Frank
BF3Addict View Drop Down

Quote BF3Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:16pm
Just thought I'd add my two cents here regarding real world GPU temps.  I have the following setup:

HAF X w/2nd 200mm fan on top
i7-3930K/Asus x79 deluxe mobo (mild OC to 4.4GHz)
EVGA 3XGTX 570 2.5GB GPU's driving 3600X1980 resolution (3 monitors in portrait)
H80 CPU cooler
Air cooled GPU's

The most strenuous game I play is BF3 and I regularly see temps of 75C (top), 71C (middle) and 65C (bottom card).  The hottest I can get it with Furmark is 91C on the top.  I get these temps with an ambient temperature of around 72F.Awesome

Edited by BF3Addict - 26 Mar 2012 at 7:19pm
kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 7:19pm
I'll add a +1 to just about everything in this thread, and add to it that getting the Z68 chipset will futureproof you a bit more than the P67.

For SSDs, the Intel 520 is currently "the best" out there, though the Corsair drives from what I have read are also up there. Anecdotes aside, the two drives are roughly similar in performance, and the difference comes from the firmware. This is where Intel pulls ahead, with a few features, including TRIM support in RAID (not really concerning you at this point in time, but maybe in the future).

The Z68 allows for the graphics on the CPU to be utilized. Yes, it's not a huge deal given the card you have, but there are certain tasks that the CPU's graphics rendering cores will do more efficiently, mostly related to video encoding.

The Z68 also has SSD caching, aka Smart Response Technology (SRT). The max size for an SSD to operate in such a fashion is 64GB. Anything larger than that and you won't ever use it up enough to benefit from it, so installing it as a boot drive is much more better. With the way it's configured, you'd want to use an SLC-based SSD, and those can cost more than the more typical MLC drives.

For PCIe 3.0, you won't hit the ceiling on an x8 slot (which is equivalent to a PCIe 2.0 x16 slot) with anything except the GTX 680—or, maybe, an HD 7970 with the proper drivers in the future. Even the 680 just barely brushes the upper limit, so it's nothing to really concern yourself over, especially if you're running a single monitor at 1080p. The 680 should even be able to handle a 3D monitor on its own, since it can support 3x monitors on its own with respectable graphics detail levels. The only drawback is, as stated, the pricetag right now. Hopefully once the manufacturers get their own branded versions out then the price will fall more inline with the $500 price elsewhere online.
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
 Post Reply Post Reply