FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question on a build

Post Date: 2019-07-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Isidis View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Isidis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question on a build
    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 6:15pm
Budget:
Less than $2200 (after the discount) my saved config is $2400 prior to that discount for reference.

Expectations:
I play GW2 and various other games, I am keen to play Ashes of Creation (whenever it comes out...) and other MMOs. My prior computer was a wonderful Digitalstorm from late 2012 that finally did something to itself.

Usage:
Mostly gaming (see above for games)

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: 2462843

Specifications:
my main question is whether 600W PSU is sufficient for the hardware I've selected.

Thanks!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 7:49pm
Welcome back to DS Isidis....

AMD says minimum 600w PSU.   If you are looking for a little more headroom, +$52 gets you the DS 850w fully modular PSU that is Gold rated efficiency....or $72 (on sale) gets you the better Corsair 850w modular PSU that is also Gold efficiency and carries a longer manufacturer warranty.

In your build, I noted your Drive 1 selection was a 1 TB SATA III SSD.   Just wanted to make sure you were aware that your motherboard has 2 drive ports for M.2 NVME SSD"s that are about 5 times faster than SATA III drives because they utilize the PCIE X4 bus your PCIE slots use.. I am guessing this was a budget decision to use a normal SATA III SSD.   No worries, as you can add M.2 NVME SATA drives later on yourself as it is an easy upgrade.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 09 Jul 2019 at 7:51pm
Isidis View Drop Down

Quote Isidis Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 8:40pm
Originally posted by HockeyBuck

Welcome back to DS Isidis....

AMD says minimum 600w PSU.   If you are looking for a little more headroom, +$52 gets you the DS 850w fully modular PSU that is Gold rated efficiency....or $72 (on sale) gets you the better Corsair 850w modular PSU that is also Gold efficiency and carries a longer manufacturer warranty.

In your build, I noted your Drive 1 selection was a 1 TB SATA III SSD.   Just wanted to make sure you were aware that your motherboard has 2 drive ports for M.2 NVME SSD"s that are about 5 times faster than SATA III drives because they utilize the PCIE X4 bus your PCIE slots use.. I am guessing this was a budget decision to use a normal SATA III SSD.   No worries, as you can add M.2 NVME SATA drives later on yourself as it is an easy upgrade.   

Thanks for the info! You are correct that the SSD is for budget, I also have the SSD and HD from my old computer that I can use (if they weren't damaged in the death of my last tower) for space. I will probably add the M.2 NVME sometime down the road.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jul 2019 at 9:15pm
Thought so...   M.2 installs flat with one end inserted in the M.2 ports on the mobo, and one screw at the other end secures it down to the board.   Simple future drive upgrade!   
 Post Reply Post Reply