Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Moonlightroses1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Moonlightroses1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Question on config
    Posted: 16 Aug 2023 at 12:52pm
Config 4740051

I know it's an overkill pc for gaming but I want the best that will last without upgrades for a very long time. However there are a few adjustments I'd prefer to make. Would Digitalstorm be able to swap certain parts for different ones that are still compatible or are their choices it? Extra cost is expected of course if it's possible.

Currently own a DS Lynx Level 4 from 2019. Still a beefy pc so I'm not in a hurry to upgrade just yet, but I am starting to feel its age and some minor slow down.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Aug 2023 at 3:16am
DS is known for cooperating with customers to special order custom parts. they will get anything you'd like within reason if available.

That said, if you know your purchase is overkill, why are you shoveling money into a hole in the floor? Overkill does not buy you longevity. It wastes your money needlessly. You intend to buy a CPU with cores and threads that will NEVER be used for gaming. NEVER. Sound good? You also propose an extra 32 GB of RAM that will be IDLE all the time, just pumping heat into the box with no purpose at all. This isn't assuring your box will perform well into the future, this is wasting money. Let's just say that, IDK, 7 years down the road there is a game or two that might possibly, conceivably use that 21st thread or 15th core beyond the 13600KF. Which is a monster CPU for gaming and highly recommended in every corner of the galaxy. It won't be a NEED. If it ever comes it will be a "ok that thread is there, we might as well use it". You will have paid hundreds of $$ extra for this glorious moment you will meet with a 7 year old part that's maybe 1/2 as good as the CPU you should be gaming with by then. YAY!

Same goes for the excess RAM. Never used. I don't know if games will ever access more than 32GB of RAM, but they will never NEED to just because most gamers won't have that in their box. I will guarantee you won't need that for gaming for the life of this purchase.

Get a 13600KF and 32GB of RAM. Splurge on the mobo and the GPU. Get 500W more PSU than you need if you want. DO NOT buy an "OS Boost", it's an OS gimp for no reason at all.

When you decide to buy the RIGHT CPU, cool it with the Noctua NH-D15 air cooler. When the all-in one fails, you have to replace the whole thing. IF the Noctua EVER fails, you install a new fan on it.

Follow the advice and save, I think, $543. You will miss out on absolutely nothing. This recommendation "will last without upgrades for a very long time" as you ask. Minimum of 5 years, betcha.   
ColinMurphy View Drop Down

Quote ColinMurphy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 2:27am
You should contact their customer support directly to inquire about modifying specific components in a configuration and any associated costs.
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2023 at 2:19pm
First of all, welcome back. Smile

When I ordered my first Digital Storm (DS) computer, a Slade, I requested a 3rd party motherboard. Why? At the time, the 3rd party vendor had better support for Linux distributions than the vendor(s) DS was working with. The result? DS special ordered the part, used it in my Slade, but excluded that part from the DS warranty.

The Slade gave me close to 10 years of excellent service, before Microsoft changed its hardware requirements. I expect that my new Velox will provide similar excellent service.

tl;dr -- DS will probably work with you for what ever you want in your PC.

Post Reply Post Reply