FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QUESTION- Which RTX 30xx is right for the Lynx 2?

Post Date: 2020-09-01

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
EckoNode View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote EckoNode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: QUESTION- Which RTX 30xx is right for the Lynx 2?
    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:42pm
Ok so I’m sure everyone is asking these questions:

Which of the RTX version should I buy for the lynx 2 since I just get it a few months ago and was told to wait for the new one?

You will probably suggest the RTX 3070 but....

What do I need to upgrade to use the RTX 3080?

Please list if possible (for me I made a mistake and didn’t research properly before I bought the lynx 2 and then when I wanted to change it was too late so I had to get it).

Thanks in advance!
TopFlight View Drop Down

Quote TopFlight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm
My first guess would be a better PSU the 3080 recommenced PSU is 750 watts.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:31am
Just because they are coming is no reason you need one. The three coming out are ridiculously overpowered for any 1080p monitor setup. The 2070 was just right for 1440p and the 3070 will crush it. A 1440p monitor and 3070 will run you ~$1200 which is more than your computer cost you. The 3080 is for 4K IMHO. A 4K monitor capable of better than 60 MHz plus a 3080 will go over $2000.

What you want for great gaming for years to come on a Lynx 2 is 16GB of RAM, and an M.2 NVMe SSD. You have one M.2 slot you can fill. A 2060 SUPER for $400 will complete the picture. Don't you have some of that already?

Just lettin' you know.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:49am
Yeah, the hype on NEW releases of cards is something else. Personally, I NEVER buy a first release of anything. Let them work out the bugs(driver issues in this instance). Plus, you will pay top dollar on initial release........... makes no sense. But, that is just me.

Cretae makes sense with every point.
EckoNode View Drop Down

Quote EckoNode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 6:07am
Only thing i need right now is the GPU. When i first got this i asked about the GPU upgrade and a lot of people on the post suggest we wait for the new GPU now its here, I just want to have an idea.

Also when i got the lynx 2, you guys said it will play anything at normal settings. In modern warfare only thing i can put on normal is the Texture Resolution, everything else is on low or else it would go over the 4GB VRAM recommendation.

It keeps freezing when you open the main menu and don't even mention warzone.

I just want to get it, i don't mind working and saving to get it, that's how i got the lynx 2 and since they mention it was up-gradable i feel i made an investment unless i was mistaken.

BTW Cretae, WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR PC???? Hmmmm???
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:14am
When I have suggested to wait for the new cards to come out it is with the idea that the now "old" cards will reprice lower not that you should get a new one. Not that it is a bad thing if you have the monitor to use it. That 3090 might convince me to drop sli! Whoa

Edited by hoserator - 02 Sep 2020 at 2:29pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by EckoNode

Only thing i need right now is the GPU. When i first got this i asked about the GPU upgrade and a lot of people on the post suggest we wait for the new GPU now its here, I just want to have an idea.

Also when i got the lynx 2, you guys said it will play anything at normal settings. In modern warfare only thing i can put on normal is the Texture Resolution, everything else is on low or else it would go over the 4GB VRAM recommendation.

It keeps freezing when you open the main menu and don't even mention warzone.

I just want to get it, i don't mind working and saving to get it, that's how i got the lynx 2 and since they mention it was up-gradable i feel i made an investment unless i was mistaken.

BTW Cretae, WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR PC???? Hmmmm???

I'm just gonna quote some folks for you.

"Nvidia claims that the GeForce RTX 2060 is strong enough to run Call of Duty: Modern Warfare at max settings, with ray tracing enabled, while hitting 60fps at 1080p. And, if you want a 1440p experience, you're going to need a 2060 Super, and a 2080 Ti for 4K. In our testing, Nvidia's claims check out.Oct 25, 2019

...www.techradar.com › news

Posted byu/stndn [On Reddit]
10 months ago

"Modern Warfare with RTX is very well optimized (2060 Super)"

Opinion

"As I only just built this PC two weeks ago, Modern Warfare was my first time experiencing RTX.

I just finished the campaign. With all the graphics maxed out and RTX enabled, the game ran between 100 - 130 fps at all times which is crazy because I thought RTX would ruin my framerate, yet it ran butter smooth at 100fps. Resolution was 1080p.

This game is very very well optimized and looked gorgeous on my 2060 Super. Good job Infinity Ward. The only complaint is the cutscene stutter bug which is a common issue."

I don't doubt you have issues running Modern Warfare on the GTX 1650 if that's what we're talking. I don't know what a "4GB VRAM recommendation" refers to, but the last time I looked, the RTX 2060 SUPER has 8GB of VRAM.

You say "I just want to have an idea." The idea is, the new cards are ridiculously overpowered for any 1080p setup, like I said. You can save up for anything you want. The 3070 is only 5W more power draw than the 2070, so your PSU might be okay, but not for anything stronger. The 3070 is stronger than a 2080 Ti according to Nvidia, not me. If you want that for a 1080p monitor, so be it. If you want to step up to a 1440p, it'll cost you around another $450 and up for the new monitor.

Again, just lettin' you know.

I have a GTX 1070 which is about 10% less than a 2060 SUPER with no ray tracing. It powers a 24" 1920x1200 (1080p) monitor that runs at 60 MHz. I've never been unhappy with my gaming experience on this monitor.
EckoNode View Drop Down

Quote EckoNode Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 6:25pm
Thanks a lot for the detailed information! That's all i wanted to find out :)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 5:26am
Uruvsuurt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Uruvsuurt Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 4:35pm
I use a standard RTX 2070 with a 1440p Dell monitor, and Destiny 2 gets over 100fps on pretty much the top settings. Hopefully that helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply