Post Date: 2010-06-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pierre View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pierre Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions about pc stuff
    Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 7:40pm
Heyy Guys im new to the site (obvious) , so anyways i just had a few questions bout some things that im not entirely sure about im some what noob to somethings, but like i know the basic stuff.. anyways
im just curious about What raid is?
And
Whats the difference in booting wise SSD or a normal HD
Also
Im currently running on a 1 core CPU, 1gb or ram and a integrated graphics card by Intel Cry, im planing when i get some money to purchase my next computer from Digital storm

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Pierre - 27 Jun 2010 at 7:41pm
ablahblah View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ablahblah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jun 2010 at 8:39pm
RAID is a way of organizing how hard drives are written to. RAID 0 nets you a speed gain by divvying up info between two hard drives. Basically, this works because you'll have two hard drives putting together chunks of info at the same time, compared to one hard drive tasked with putting together the same chunks of info. RAID 1 is simple, you just clone whatever happens to the main drive to the second drive. By doing this, you lose the size of one drive, however, if one drive ever fails, the other one will back it up. Drive lifetimes are getting longer though, so RAID 0 is more common now. RAID 5, eh, I really don't know an easy way of explaining it. You need 3 or more hard drives, and it gives you a small boost while having a failsafe similar to RAID 1. RAID 0+1 or RAID 1+0 really have no difference. It's exactly what it seems. RAID 0 + RAID 1 or the other way around. RAID 0 + RAID 1 is just having one RAID 0 set, then using RAID 1'ing that set. So you need at least 4 hard drives, with the number of drives divisible by 2.

Blagh, that was too complicated, right? Lemme explain it with an analogy. Pretend that there's a guy stacking boxes. The boxes are your data, and the guy stacking them is your hard drive. A regular HDD is just one guy stacking a pile of boxes. RAID 0, think of it like two guys stacking one single stack of boxes together. Should go faster than just one guy stacking the same stack, right? RAID 1, think of it like two guys stacking two identical stacks of boxes. RAID 0 + 1 or RAID 1 + 0, think of it like two guys stacking one pile of boxes, and another two guys making another stack exactly like the stack the first pair of guys is making.

SSD's, well, you can technically just store all your info on an SSD. However, since they're so expensive per gigabyte, people just prefer to stick Windows on a small, cheaper SSD, and store data on another normal HDD. The second advantage of this is that HDDs and SSDs slow down after reaching about 50% size used. If the OS and data coexisted on one drive, once that drive hit 50% usage, both would slow down. Keeping the OS separate means that if the data drive exceeded 50% usage, your OS wouldn't be affected.

Thar ya go. Any more questions? :D

Edited by ablahblah - 27 Jun 2010 at 10:23pm
R4D4RPR00F
Core i7 920 @ 3.9Ghz
Asus Sabertooth X58
EVGA GTX 570
Mushkin 6GB 1414Mhz
 Post Reply Post Reply