FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions and Advice about a Hailstorm Rig

Post Date: 2012-11-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zhelder View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote zhelder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions and Advice about a Hailstorm Rig
    Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 9:14pm
Hi everyone. This is my first post on the DS forum. I have been salivating over these computers for a few years, and I am now finally at the point where I am very seriously considering a purchase.

About me: I am a veteran, experienced computer user, but my needs are not super hardcore. My current desktop computer is just about five years old, and it has made me crazy for most of those five years. I want a system that can run some decent games - now and in the future, but I don't need triple monitor support or anything like that. My goal is to get a computer that I won't have to touch internally for at least two years (preferably three) and that will last me for five. I'm trying to stay in the $3000 or less range, but I'm starting to see that I may need to go a bit over this to get what I want.

I've been looking at the Hailstorm, and I've been playing with the Level 2 rig. Here's the configuration I put together:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: Logitech Media Combo MK200 Keyboard and Mouse
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

A few questions about this rig:

1. Is it decent for the needs I described?

2. Hypothetically, is the 800W power supply enough to run two GTX 680s in SLI with the other components? It's not an option now, but maybe down the road when the costs of the card come down I might think about setting up two cards.

3. The rig seems to offer CPU overclocking in the standard configuration. The CPU seems to have a clock speed of 3.2 GHz, but the overclocking mentions raising the CPU speed from 4.5 GHz to 4.8 GHz. Am I missing something here? Is it worth paying for the pro overclocking ($69) over the standard Intel auto overclocking?

4. I'd like to install a fan controller, primarily, honestly, because I think they look cool, but it would also be nice to see CPU temps and fan speeds easily. The fan controllers mention needing a chassis airflow upgrade. Will I need to spring for extra costs for this with the Obsidian case?

5. I'm perfectly willing to pay the $10 for the cool internal lighting. If selecting the UV option, will the lighting actually look purpulish like in the picture? Is it safe?

Thanks everyone for your time and assistance. With the sale going on now, I'm either buying this computer tomorrow or waiting quite a bit. I'm anxious to hear what you all think!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 6:20am
Hi zhelder...  Welcome to the forums.

The Hailstorm case is a real nice case and will work but is primarily designed for full water cooled systems like stage 4 and up.  The picture you see in config is with the water cooling, $4000-5000 rig,  and the UV lighting you mention is for true water cooling and will not work with the Vortex cooler.  The Vortex coolers are small, sealed units with opaque tubing that won't show the fluid inside.  They require zero maintenance.

The X79 platform with the 3930k chip is more for those into photo, video editing, Lightroom, 3D modeling, etc.  It will work here just fine but really more than you need for strictly gaming.  If you stick with the X79 Sabertooth you could save$300 and go with 4 core 3820 chip.

Here's a build to look at with the best air cooled case, the Z77 platform and the gtx670.  The gtx 670 EVGA FTW  is the same gaming as the 680 for lots less.  The gtx680 is tops, so can't knock it. 

The 800w psu will handle a sli, gtx 670 but be a little tighter for sli 680's.  It works but not alot of headroom.  If possible the 1050HX is more than you need but leaves plenty of headroom.

Config # 753153         Cost $ 2667

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Features Thermal Armor and Thermal Radar)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 800W Corsair GS (Dual SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (PhysX) (FTW Overclocked EVGA)
Sound Card: Creative Labs Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion 5.1 (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 (64-Bit Edition)
Game: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

I didn't put in the fan control.  The Hafx looks great, in my opinion , without it, but it does look great.  Its temp and fan readings aren't all that accurate. Great looks with less substance.

I left the audio card in but most think onboard audio is great now a day.  Depends what level audiophile you are.

I put in the Noctua d14 air cooler for tops in quiet and reliability.  The Vortex works great but has more to go wrong and is noisier but takes up less space. 

Just something to check out.  Your build looks great but is more than you need and this config has better air cooling and the same performance.

Good Luck. Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 23 Nov 2012 at 6:24am
zhelder View Drop Down

Quote zhelder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:02am
Thank you for the reply. After talking to one of the reps at DS, I think I'm going to stick pretty close to my original config, except I'm going to eliminate the DS overclocking and the fan controller, and use the savings to bump up the PS to 1050W. (I really want the option to run that SLI setup in the future.)

The only think I'm still thinking about is the CPU. In addition to gaming, I will be doing some moderate photo/video work, including transcoding, so I'm thinking the 3930 is the way to go. I didn't realize until just now that the 3930 is a Sandy Bridge processor, while the 3770 is an Ivy Bridge with a higher clock speed. But I've also read that there are heat issues with the 3770, and that the 3930 will likely be the more "future proof" of the two processors.

As far as the video card, I've gotta stick with the 680. I really want to stick with something that will last not only now, but well into the future, even if I may not use it to its potential right now. Thanks again for the help!

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:15am
Awesome
zhelder View Drop Down

Quote zhelder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 11:49am
OK, I'm almost there. One last question. I see that DS has a 1200W Tech NPS PS for a few bucks less than the 1050W Corsair. Stick with the Corsair or go with the Tech NPS? I'm leaning towards sticking with the Corsair.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 12:00pm
1050HX.    Great company, better supply and I believe longer warranty. 
zhelder View Drop Down

Quote zhelder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2012 at 12:31pm
Well, I'm in! Thanks so much for your help, bprat22! Here's my final rig:

DSO-426475 Digital Storm Desktop 426475 1

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Black OPS HailStorm Edition
Processor: Intel Core i7 3930K 3.2GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Six-Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Intel X79 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (120GB Solid State (By: Corsair) (Model: Neutron GTX Series) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi/Samsung (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (Extreme-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Game: FREE NVIDIA Bundle - Assassins Creed III (Digital Download Code for all GeForce GTX 600 Series)
Keyboard: Logitech Media Combo MK200 Keyboard and Mouse
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Extra Large)

DISC10 PROMOTION: 10% Discount of $365 Applied to Digital Storm Desktop 426475, Original Price $3,650 1

99939 -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $150 1
639459 -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME 2 YEAR WARRANTY UPGRADE ($199 VALUE) 1

Sub-Total: $3,135.00
Tax: $0.00
Shipping: $65.00
Grand Total: $3,200.00
I also completed the survey for a chance at the CPU/memory upgrade. How cool would that be to get an Extreme CPU instead? Thanks again for the help!

Edited by zhelder - 23 Nov 2012 at 12:35pm
zhelder View Drop Down

Quote zhelder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 3:25pm
Well, I've had my new DS rig for a little over a month now. My time with the rig has been limited, but now I've finally gotten a chance to play with it some and I'm happy, despite having some hiccups at first (primarily not being able to display BIOS over DVI with my new monitor and some Windows 8 growing pains).

I love the Obsidian 800D case. It just looks so cool. Thanks to everyone here I now know that it may not have the world's best cooling, but that's not really an issue for me since I have the computer in a basement that tends to stay on the cool side year round, and I usually don't have long stints of super taxing tasks.

There is one thing bugging me a tiny bit, though, and that's the empty third fan slot on the top of the case (the first two slots are taken up by the Vortex CPU cooler fans). Although I don't really need another fan right now for performance, I think I might like to add one for aesthetics. Could this be easily done, or would I have to detach the Vortex fans to install that third fan? Should the third fan be set for intake or outtake (there are no other additional fans on the rig). And what would be a good third fan to get?

Thanks for everyone's help here. I'm sure that no matter what, I'm going to be a very happy owner of this computer for several years.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:44pm
Glad ya stuck with the excellent Hailstorm 800D....
If heat is ever a problem, there are modded door replacements for the 800D you could get online with window fan mounts.   

Don't know what fans you already have on top. Usually they use intake fans on top of the 800D so the radiator gets fresh air...
Should be room for the third 120mm if the top mount isn't blocking the space....look at the screw holes to see if they are clear.     Vortex 240 is basically the Corsair H100 cooler.   Corsair replacement fans or their line of high performance fans are available on their website, newegg, frozencpu...or ask DS to send you one.   
 Post Reply Post Reply