FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Questions from a Potential Customer

Post Date: 2011-09-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
3D-Pangel View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 3D-Pangel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions from a Potential Customer
    Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 9:04am
This is my first post to the forum, so if I am posting in the wrong area, please re-direct me to the right forum.

I am not a DS customer yet, but overall I am very impressed by the reviews and ratings DS has received. So while you have my attention, I still have a few basic questions. I can probably guess the answers given the reputation of the company, but it is always good to hear it directly:

1) Are only retail grade components used?
2) Do I get all original driver installation discs?
3) Does DS load any bloat ware or only the software that I specify?
4) Does DS use original drivers or do they customize any of the drivers loaded on a PC?
5) If I order a system with an SSD and two hard-drives, does the OS get loaded on the SSD?
6) Is it possible to get Cinebench results for any configuration? Confused by this as your configurator only has "No Thanks" under benchmarking on the systems I have looked at.
7) I know that DS provides great service prior to the sale and tech support over the phone, but what I am interested in is if there is a component failure. The "platinum" warranty only covers parts and service. Shipping costs after 30 days is paid by the PC owner. This really does not sound too "platinum" to me. One area where the larger OEM's have you beat is that they will sell you a warranty that includes sending a repair tech to your house. Does DS have any additional warranty programs that provide this service? Are there any plans in the future to contract out repair depot services across the country? I am willing to pay extra for this as I really do not want to ship my PC loaded with my personal information off for repair and wait weeks to get it back. One other preferable option is to have DS ship me the new component and then walk me through the repair operation via phone. Is that an option?

My PC interests are with computer graphics and all applications that I use (Cinema 4D Studio, Vue xStream, After Effects) are multi-threaded, so for me processing cores wins over processing power. Therefore, a lower speed hexa-core processor is better than a fast quad core processor - and should I ever win the lottery, then I would be looking at a dual hexa-core workstation...but for now I would like to keep my machine below $3K ($3.5K absolute maximum)

Thanks,
3D-Pangel
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 1:38pm
1) You pick all the components in the config, so you tell us? Hahaha There are only OEM parts if you specifically select them, like an Asetek cooler. Actually that may be the only OEM part option they even have, everything else is retail. You even get any unused parts or accessories that come with any of said retail components.
2) Along with all other unused accessories that come with the components, yes you get the driver install discs. You also get the Windows install CD.
3) Zero bloat ware.
4) They use the most current Nvidia or ATI video driver, but other than that just original drivers.
5) OS is loaded on whatever you select for the primary drive. So if you select an SSD for the primary drive, then yes. If you have any weird HDD/SSD configuration needs just ask for it in the comments section when you order.
6) Maybe, couldn't hurt to ask? Though I don't personally really see the point in wasting their time doing various random benchmarks when you could just do them yourself once you get it.
7) You don't have to ship the whole PC back if something needs to be replaced, if you're comfortable doing it yourself they can just ship the replacement part to you. You can also bring it to a local PC repair place (or have them come to you) to have them install the part if needed, but I don't think DS will reimburse the local repair shop charges. Still much much easier and cheaper than shipping a whole PC, and does not void the warranty. This is exactly the same process you'd have with a bigger OEM for their "platinum" repair warranty, except instead of paying $300 up front to the OEM for the extended repair warranty you just pay $30 to the local repair shop instead (or install it yourself for free). Why people buy those sucker warranties is beyond me, you pay $300+ for almost nothing and you will have the most frustrating headache inducing battle with outsourced non-English speaking phone support people trying to get them to even honor said warranty in the first place. That's always one of the biggest selling points of DS, getting to deal with them directly on the phone should any issue ever arise, and yes they will gladly stay with you on the phone to help walk you through component replacements and stuff if you need, I always see plenty of happy customers thanking DS for stuff like that on the forum.

How long are you confortable waiting to order your PC? If you need a good many cored CPU for such things, the new beefy X79 platform is going to be coming out pretty soon with new high end 6+ core Sandy Bridge CPUs and quad channel memory. Due out later this year, I believe? If you can't wait then the only option would be the old and slower X58 platform and try to squeeze what you could out of a 990X CPU. If you would rather get something now instead of waiting then go ahead and start a thread in the configuration section of the forum with your budget and all that and we'll give you a hand with getting together a configuration.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 2:43pm
Frst off, thank you Dragoonseal for helping 3D-Pangel and us. Big%20Smile

I'll respond to questions 6 & 7 only since Dragoonseal did a great job on the others.

6. We definitely can for you, just make it a special request with your system, we may have to charge you a small fee to test your system with that application. We use the following programs to test our systems: LinX, Prime95, Heaven, FurMark, HD Tune, Windows Experience Index.

7. Dragoonseal did a great job on this and he is correct. Worst case, our support team will help you troubleshoot the issue, send you the part to replace, and walk you through it, it's really easy.
 Post Reply Post Reply