Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cusafr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cusafr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Questions
    Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 8:45am
I have a few questions that I hope one/some of you can answer:

1) Does anyone know who makes the DS 850si and 950si cases?  Also, do you have a suggestions on which case (fans, etc) is the quietest.

2) I am looking for a quiet system and was thinking about a Nexus or Zalman Power Supply.  From the list available does anyone know if the Silverstone or Corsair system is near as quiet?

3) I have been wondering about the Western Digital Hard Drives.  I see on DS they have the ones with 16MB cache.  These same drives are available with a 32 MB cache.  Does anyone know why this is?  I'm not trying to say anything bad.  For example, maybe the drives with the16MB are more reliable and I don't know that.

4) One last question.  I'm not a big over-clocker, nor do I play many games.  I just would like a fast system mostly for Internet use and some database usage.  I have been thinking about either the Core i7-920, or waiting for the new AMD 955.  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

Mezzeron View Drop Down

Quote Mezzeron Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 11:45am
1) The 850i is a Coolermaster stacker 830, the 950i is a silverstone TJ-09 i think.  Both very high quality cases..the 850 however is a dust whore and requires constant cleaning, but offers awesome cooling..and its kinda noisy with all fan slots populated.  I know, i have one.

2)  If your talking the 1000watt PSU, then the Silverstone is quieter than the Corsair.  I have heard the corsairs, and to me they are not quiet at all.  Not horribly loud, but nowhere near quiet.  From reviews I have read, the Zalman 1000 is one of the quietest.  Tagan Also makes a "noise free" series with 1000 watts as well.  But its over $400.  Depends on what you want to spend.

3)  The 32mb cache ones are more expensive.  If you want them, they will put them in for you, just request it.

4)  Intel has been making the superior chip for awhile now.  I dont see that coming to an end anytime soon.  I would say that probably the new AMD chip  will still not be up to par with the Intel ones.  Other forum members are better equiped to answer that one, as I am not AMD savy.

hope that helps
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Apr 2009 at 2:54pm
1. the 950 is more quiet but then that means your cooling is not going to be as good, 80% of your noise comes from your GPU, so even if you get a case like 950 instead of the HAF, you will still have the same noise or even more noise since the 950 will not provide the airflow that the HAF does.

2. again 80% of your noise will come from the GPU so worrying about noise with anything else is pretty much pointless, but the silverstone 1000w should be a bit more quiet.

3. the cache is not as important as the rpm. the rpm will decide the speed, the cache will help.

4. i7 920 but make sure you OC it, your CPU speed is your PC speed pretty much.
 Post Reply Post Reply