FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

quick question

Post Date: 2020-08-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
*Thomas* View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote *Thomas* Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: quick question
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Hello all I just had a quick question about draining my system as its been almost 3 years since i got it, it would be my first time doing it and was curious if you could recommend a good video i could use to go about doing it? and is the Aventum 3 hard to refill? thanks in advance.

Also my reservoir is like 25% gone is that at dangerous levels ? sorry for the noobish questions   

Edited by *Thomas* - 28 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 12:42pm
Hi,
Welcome to the world of open loop cooling systems.  

You have to call DS to find out what coolant was used in your system. You cannot mix coolants and most will not be backwards compatible even if the same brand.  You will also need a gallon or two of distilled water (used for ironing) if you have to drain and flush the system.

Coolants are much longer lasting than before. Look at its condition and if clean and clear no need to replace.

To periodically refill the reservoir on the Hydrolux Pro (as used on the Aventum II, 2014) you will need the 6mm hex key that came in your parts box (any 6mm allen wrench will work) to unscrew the small cap on top of the reservoir. Use a long necked baster/syringe to refill. You might have to open two points on the res. to let air out as you fill.

If you have to replace the coolant, the procedure is a little bit more complicated since you have to drain, flush with distilled water ( I do it twice) and refill.

To drain, find the lowest point (lower rads) on the loop and disconnect the hose connecting the lower rads and let it drain unless you happened to special order a drain valve and then just use it. (I understand that DS will no longer install these.) (you will have to open the reservoir to let air in as the coolant drains out). I put a bucket under the corner where I removed the connecting hose and tilt the pc as required to let it drain. To refill I use a separate switch to turn the pump on with out turning the system on.

https://www.amazon.com/CRJ-24-Pin-Switch-Jumper-Sleeved/dp/B01MSY4966

Be very careful you don't let the pump run dry. Use the switch to fill up the radiators and the loop every time you refill the reservoir. You will have to repeat each time you refill. Once you have refilled the loop with the first batch of distilled water, remove the switch and turn the system on for a little while to get the water flow everywhere. Turn off, drain and repeat. It is a long process.

Good luck.

Note: there are many ways of doing the above and what I detailed is the way I do it. I have an Av II with the Hydrolux Pro and it does not have the coolant manifold the newer models have.

Edited by hoserator - 30 Aug 2020 at 12:06am
 Post Reply Post Reply