FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick questions on the laptops

Post Date: 2014-09-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
czarsquid View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote czarsquid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quick questions on the laptops
    Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:01pm
My computers are way behind the times so I figure now would be a good time to save up for a gaming laptop.

Now normally this kind of question would be answered by browsing the site but I couldn't find it anywhere. So my question is, what kind of video outputs do the Lance / Krypton laptops have? I think I see some possible hmdi plugs from the pictures but they are too small for me to make out.

Also, I'm planning on saving over a long period of time (still going to school/working). Is there a chance to see some lower priced custom laptop prices in the future or have they been pretty consistent? I don't mind waiting (haven't bought a new computer since 2009), it's going to take about a year of consistent earning, but either way it's going to be a killer Christmas present.

Thank you for your time and your replies.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:12pm
Hi czarsquid.....   Welcome to the forums. 

If you go to the laptop config page, pick the laptop you want, hit Customize on the level and click More Info under the Chassis Model, most of the specs will pop up.  

For example, the Lance and Krypton have HDMI, Displayport  and mini DP outputs.

DS is always changing the models , depending on new hardware releases, etc, but rarely give any heads up of changes coming.    The Equinox was just added a few weeks ago. 

Hope this helps out.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 24 Sep 2014 at 12:14pm
czarsquid View Drop Down

Quote czarsquid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:17pm
Ah, so that's where they hid that info. Thank you so much.

I figured that there wasn't gonna be a drop in price in anything (since they are up to date). But that is the reason why I'm saving the money versus using credit. By the time I had paid it off, there is already a better computer out that is twice as good.

So thank you again :D
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 12:34pm
My pleasure.

Yeah, seems like every couple of years what we have is obsolete.

Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2014 at 3:07pm
Yes, you definitely want to save and get the absolute greatest laptop you can.  I vowed never to compromise again when I got my Krypton.

I can confirm that my Krypton has HDMI, DisplayPort, and mini-DisplayPort as said above.  You can probably see the ports in the photos from the review linked in my signature as well.

Hope you enjoy your new DS when you finally purchase it.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 12:00am
Yes good gaming laptops are very hard to find. Lucky for us DS keeps them centralized in one place. Your going to be looking at an average of 1.8-3k For a mobile powerhouse, but it should last you a good 2-3 years on average.
czarsquid View Drop Down

Quote czarsquid Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 2:03pm
Well, the potato-top I do have works pretty well even after 5 years (it's a dell studio laptop from 2009). While I can't do any heavy gaming on it, I can still run a decent library of games even today. Mostly indie and older games. Now I could be wrong, but a custom built computer designed to handle top of the line gaming today could easily last me another 5 years (but if I want to keep with the times I will want to upgrade sooner). I'm not a gaming fanatic but I definitely want a good machine for the games I do have.
Roykirk View Drop Down

Quote Roykirk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 3:49pm
Yes, if you're running a potato from 2009 still today, you probably can easily make do with a DS laptop for a good 5 years.

However, masochism is not my thing, so I'd never do it. Evil

Kidding aside, if you're not doing bleeding edge gaming, and you get something today with an 880M, you're going to be happy for at least 5 years, I'll wager.
Tor View Drop Down

Quote Tor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2014 at 4:45pm
Apologies I should have reiterated the reply; For bleeding edge graphics the average lifespan of my laptop was 2-3 years, before I normally shopped around again.

With the 880M just like Roykirk said, you can make it last. If your not overly concerned about 1080p ultra graphics/shadows/AA and silly things like this then I'll also wager you can make it last a good while.
 Post Reply Post Reply