FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Quick thoughts on a build

Post Date: 2019-08-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shakeweight View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Shakeweight Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quick thoughts on a build
    Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 6:35am
Budget:
[2500ish]

Expectations:
[Please Type Here]

Usage:
[Work/light gaming]

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: [2528861]

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows 10 Installation CD Only (Clean Install with No Drivers)

Hey fellow DS'ers...

My current DS rig is on it's last legs (bought just over 8 years ago), and I'm looking for a build primarily for work (nothing graphics intensive) but that can also double for some light gaming (can't even remember the last time I bought a game). On the gaming side, essentially, I want something that can handle a game or 2 (mostly been playing TW/RTS type games) when I have the time to actually play something. I was hoping to get some input on a couple of items:

Corsair 850 PSU v. 1000 DS series
General thoughts on the GC and mobo
And of course, overall thoughts.

Any insight is appreciated
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Aug 2019 at 12:34pm
Fairly well put together IMO. I, too, would go for the 570 chipset. This one is entry-level, but all the others here are quite a bit pricier, and not THAT much better.

You don't want to saddle yourself with that SATA SSD Drive 1. The choice here is pretty clear. Sale priced, the Samsung 512GB 970 PRO NVMe drive is only $66 more and is 5x as fast. 5 year warranty.

The Corsair power supply is correct. Tons of overhead for this build, and another 5 year warranty.

The GPU you picked is a very good selection for your needs. It will give you way above average performance at 1080p for several years.

Continuing the same old theme, you'd do well to squeeze out a few more bucks for the Corsair H100i PRO cooler. 5 year warranty. All the DS branded parts are not schlock, but they only carry the DS warranty you select. With parts like PSUs, SSDs and coolers, we think you should get the brand names for the manufacturer's longer warranties.

The recommendations I've suggested cost $126, but are well worth it IMO.

You do not need any overclock on that video card at all. It will give you all you need at stock, and last longer.

Hope it helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply