Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MK71 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MK71 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quiet build
    Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:01pm
Budget:
3000-3500

Expectations:
Multiple applications open at once. Be able to play the latest games on full graphic settings.

Usage:
Heavy web surfing, goggle earth, music player, photo shop, multimedia editing and playing games like GTA4, Diablo 3, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield 3, Far Cry 3 at 1920x1080 resolution

Special Needs:
I'd like to have as quiet of a system as possible within the above budget. Which is why I originally went with the Corsair Chassis with the noise suppression package with LC on the heavily OC'd CPU only. But I'm thinking there might be some issues with cooling the overclocked GPU with such a set up. I'd assume the HafX chassis would be a better choice, but I'm worried about how much noisier it would be. The other option being to simple not OC the GPU.

Current specs:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 02G-P4-2672-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: FrostChill Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 2 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds with Noise Dampening Material)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU 4.9GHz to 5.2GHz (Requires Extreme Series Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: FREE: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Black5Lion View Drop Down

Quote Black5Lion Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 12:42pm
i heard haf x chassis was quiet because it uses big fans dunno....
Astrotechnics View Drop Down

Quote Astrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:28pm
According to one of the verified customers I cannot list off of my head said that the HAF X runs quiet due to it having big fans, so they don't have to spin quickly providing a quieter system

Edited by Astrotechnics - 14 May 2012 at 3:32pm
novelreader View Drop Down

Quote novelreader Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:12pm
Yes, the haf x runs quiet to me, but it might be different for people that are very sensitive to noise
AndydViking View Drop Down

Quote AndydViking Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:38pm
If I were you I'd skip the OC on the GPU regardless because the results will most likely be minimal. I'd also drop the noise suppression package on the 550D case as it already has the dampening foam.

Between the 550D and the Haf X I'd say that either case seems good to me. You may find however that you may need to add case fans to the 550 D (though doubtful if your room is < 70*). The Haf X has more room for expansion and will be relatively quiet for a gaming PC as it does run 200mm fans as others mentioned.

EDIT: I'd go with the Haf X because your going liquid cooling which will cause you to loose some of the dampening material/area of the 550 D right away and bring the fans to the top of the case without the material there to prevent noise escaping. If you were going air it'd be a little different.

Quote Astrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by AndydViking

If I were you I'd skip the OC on the GPU regardless because the results will most likely be minimal. I'd also drop the noise suppression package on the 550D case as it already has the dampening foam.

Between the 550D and the Haf X I'd say that either case seems good to me. You may find however that you may need to add case fans to the 550 D (though doubtful if your room is < 70*). The Haf X has more room for expansion and will be relatively quiet for a gaming PC as it does run 200mm fans as others mentioned.

EDIT: I'd go with the Haf X because your going liquid cooling which will cause you to loose some of the dampening material/area of the 550 D right away and bring the fans to the top of the case without the material there to prevent noise escaping. If you were going air it'd be a little different.

Isn't the HailStorm better for the Sub-Zero Liquid Cooling than the HAF X? HAF X is for the H100 and Air cooling is where it excels
MK71 View Drop Down

Quote MK71 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 5:40pm

Thanks for the advice.
I've made the following changes:

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps)
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 02G-P4-2672-BR)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only
H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive)
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU 4.9GHz to 5.2GHz (Requires Extreme Series Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed

Just one more question, If I wanted to add a second GPU would the above cooling and power requirements be sufficient?

Quote Astrotechnics Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 May 2012 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by MK71

Thanks for the advice. I've made the following changes:Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF XExterior Finish: - Standard Factory FinishTrim Accents: - Standard Factory FinishProcessor: Intel Core i7 2700K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core) Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IV Extreme (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue) System Memory: 16GB DDR3 2133MHz Corsair Vengeance (High-Performance) Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended) Expansion Bay: - No ThanksHard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (240GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series) Set 1 Raid Options: - No ThanksHard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (2TB Western Digital (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition) (SATA 6Gbps) Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No ThanksOptical Drive 1: Blu-Ray & DVD Writer/Reader (Burn + Play Blu-Ray & DVDs) (12x BD-R) Optical Drive 2: - No ThanksInternet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA 02G-P4-2672-BR) Add-on Card: - No ThanksSound Card: Integrated Motherboard AudioExtreme Cooling: H20: Stage 4: Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System: CPU Only H20 Tube Color: Blue Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis FansInternal Lighting: - No ThanksEnhancements: - No ThanksChassis Mods: - No ThanksNoise Reduction: - No ThanksLaserMark: - No ThanksCPU Boost: Stage 3: Overclock CPU 4.9GHz to 5.2GHz (Requires Extreme Series Motherboard) Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)Memory Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memoryOS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating systemWindows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)Virus Protection: Trend Micro Titanium Internet Security Office: - No ThanksGame: - No ThanksDisplay: - No ThanksSurge Shield: - No ThanksSpeakers: - No ThanksKeyboard: - No ThanksMouse: - No ThanksExternal Storage: - No ThanksExclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium) Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully ProcessedWarranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited WarrantyJust one more question, If I wanted to add a second GPU would the above cooling and power requirements be sufficient?

Just a friendly tip, you can drop the 2700k To the 2600k because you won't see much of a difference. Also drop the Corsair ram to the Digitalstorm ram because there isn't much of a difference
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 5:02am
Take a look at this system. It does all you want with better equipment.

Frank

Configuration: 688439 Cost: $3142

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 3770K 3.50 GHz (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core) (Requires Z77 Motherboard)
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE (Intel Z77 Chipset) (Higher Overclocks and Unique Wi-Fi Features)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB (Includes PhysX)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Phanteks PH-TC14PE Extreme Performance
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro/Deluxe/Sabertooth Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Large)
MK71 View Drop Down

Quote MK71 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:50am
Thanks for the suggestion, but there's a few ways that system wouldn't meet my needs. Already I have about 150 gigs worth of software and I'm approaching 2 TB of multimedia data so I need larger drives.
I need the Blu-ray drive.
Add those and the price is 3407, which with shipping is 40$ over budget.

Noise level is a very important consideration for me as well. I'd prefer a liquid cooled OC core rather than an air cooled one requiring more fans. The large ones on the HafX would seem to be just perfect for my needs. Also from what I understand, Ivy bridge's cores generate more heat when OC'ed than Sandy's and the performance difference is minimal.
Corsairs 850W operates at 42DB under load so I'd assume the 1050W would be even louder, while Digital storms 1000W at full load is rated at 38DB.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:25pm
So you would rather have quietness over efficiency, reliability and longer warranty. That wouldn't be my choice but that is up to you.

If you are going with Sandy Bridge at least be smart and get the 2600K which is my favorite CPU for gaming. Save yourself $40 and get the same CPU.

Do you really think that two 120mm fans blowing through a radiator on the outside of the case is going to be quieter than a D14 air cooler?

If you are concerned about noise why get the GPU OC. The GPU is where most of the noise comes from and OCing them only aggravates the problem. With only one GPU it will be operating at high levels with many games.

I don't know what your last build looks like but I hope you reconsider the stage 3 OC on the CPU. That probably can't be done with the 2600K with out exceeding a Vcore voltage of 1.4. That will shorten the life of the CPU. No matter how cool you keep it the high Vcore will shorten its like.

I think you still have some problems with your system. Can you post it in a build layout so we can see what you are talking about? Or, give us the configuration number.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 15 May 2012 at 12:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply