Post Date: 2010-06-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
DeltaW View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote DeltaW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Quiet, but Air Cooled
    Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 10:25pm
Configuration: 412939 (Assassin case, i7 930 overclocked, GTX480, Noctua D14)

OK. I'm looking for a really quiet, air cooled setup.

Is the Assassin case best for quietest operation? How about the CPU fan? Will the Noctua D14 CPU cooler fan be screaming all the time if the CPU is overclocked? If so, I'd consider giving up overclocking, since impact to gaming is minimal.

Thanks for any advice!
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 11:57pm
i dont know if id say minimal, but the noctuas are both quite good and rated to be very quiet (you can also modify the speed of the fan, making it much quieter)

i cant speak for how quiet the actual assassin case is, though it does give the impression of being quiet. the haf 932 may give you better overall temps, it uses much larger fans
(if you didnt know, larger fan = spinning slower for same airflow = quieter)

really even if you went to the 932, the real noise maker would be the 480
if you are very into quiet you may consider modding the 480 to address its noise (vga heatsink+fan or liquid)

you will probably only notice the nocua if you run it at full tilt. but at 50% it should sufficiently cool a lite to moderate overclock
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:18am
The Noctua CPU cooler at 100% is still quiet. But DS will use the Motherboard to controll the speed, and it will ramp up the fans as  the temps increase.

The GTX 480 under full load will be loud, you can minimize the noise by running Vsync on, with easy to run games... this way it will run cool and quiet, but on the more demanding games it will still get loud.
Overclocking the CPU does have a big impact on gaming.. Of course it matters the game.. WOW is almost all CPU speed, and BC2 is also very CPU dependent.. 3.5Ghz to 3.8Ghz is a great spot for one GPU.. as you add more GPU's the more CPU power you will need to supply them with frames..
 Post Reply Post Reply