FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RADIATOR NOISE NORMAL?

Post Date: 2021-03-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
acedredlo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote acedredlo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RADIATOR NOISE NORMAL?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 11:40am
Computer is mnaking a noise from radiator im not sure if its normal and the radiator fan is making a knocking sound at peak performance. also not sure is liquid cooler should have tiny tiny air bubbles in the pump lines if thats normal? I have video of the noise and bubbles to reference.

Edited by acedredlo - 13 Mar 2021 at 11:41am
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 1:17pm
Can you share the video so we can have some context of your issue?
acedredlo View Drop Down

Quote acedredlo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 5:12pm
yes however the video is larger then 500kbs so icant load it here.
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 5:56pm
You can post a link to it if you upload it to youtube.
AtlasAngel View Drop Down

Quote AtlasAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 1:29pm
I belive i am having the same issue. I have the cpu vortex cooling and it's making almost popping sounds?? Light but extremely annoying.

Edit : literally just shook the computer a bit and the sound is gone??? Lol. It was very light shaking. Nothing even moved so I don't see why the noise is gone but good for me. Will post again if it comes back. Which seems to be happening already.

Edited by AtlasAngel - 16 Mar 2021 at 1:31pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 1:52pm
There were probably some air bubbles in the pump and the shaking shook them up.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 9:11am
Same issue here. Started randomly last night. Since then a constant ticking or rattling noise coming from the pump. I can actually feel it if I hold the bottom hose in my hand. I removed the radiator and waved it around and that didn't seem to change it, but tilting the case sideways (Lumos - tilting toward the open side so the proc and pump point toward the floor) diminishes the noise linearly until it is completely silent if I lay the case on its side. I figured shaking the radiator a bit would fix it so I am a bit baffled as to what to try next. Any suggestions?

Here's a link to a video of what mine sounds like - removed link; file deleted

Edited by ealderson - 02 Jun 2021 at 11:25am
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:18pm
DS support got me squared away. They threw on an Asus utility and turned down the AIO pump speed a bit and voila..no noise.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 3:33am
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 6:44am
In case it helps anybody else, I have the DS AIO cooler and the tech cranked down the AIO pump RPM from 100% to 80% and now it is silent. Not sure why it ran fine (quietly) for a couple months and just now decided to get loud at 100%, but I'm glad it worked. Cranking it down will depend on mobo, etc. but with mine (Asus) we just grabbed the AI Suite and used Fan Xpert 4 to tweak it. I have since been playing with my fan curves so am now moving down that rabbit hole. :)

Edited by ealderson - 02 Jun 2021 at 6:45am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 1:49am

Awesome
Thank you for the info. It will help others adjust their systems.

ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 6:16am
I need to try to go into the BIOS and turn it down there too. Now it makes noise at boot until I get logged in and the Fan Xpert drivers load and throttle it down. Of course, these things boot so insanely quick that it isn't high on my to do list.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:35am
Update - had to change the AIO from Auto to DC in the BIOS and then get into the Qfan section of the BIOS and set a fan curve for the AIO at 80% for the lower temp limits. It doesn't look like I can change the 100% temp threshold but that's kind of a good audible warning that I might have a temp problem somewhere. If I all of a sudden hear the AIO ticking I'll know there is an issue somewhere.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 3:44pm
OK, new issue. This is kind of interesting so I wonder if anybody else has experienced it or can test it on their system and see if they can duplicate it. I have the DS AIO Stage 2 (dual fan) with Corsair LL fans and it appears to be attached to the CPU FAN header on the mobo. Whenever the cpu gets to the point where it calls for 100% fan all the fans kick up except the radiator fan closest to the front of the case. That one stops completely (pic attached). If I ratchet down the percentage RPM it calls for then it starts spinning again. I can duplicate it in Fan Xpert 4 or by changing the mobo fan settings in the BIOS and setting them to full speed. This doesn't seem normal to me since the cpu hitting a thermal threshold that calls for max fan RPM shouldn't cause one of the key fans to stop spinning and thus be effectively reducing cooling. Anybody have any ideas?

ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jun 2021 at 7:50am
I went ahead and opened a ticket with DS since I am also able to replicate the issue when gaming or processing large files, etc. Anytime the CPU hits a thermal threshold and calls for max fans the other 5 fans in my case kick up to 100% RPM, but this front one comes to a complete stop. I double checked the header setup and it looks like they have both fans running off a splitter and connected to the CPU_FAN header. I was tempted to move one to the CPU_OPT header since there is nothing plugged into it, but will wait for some direction from DS before I dig into all their pretty cable management.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 12:40am
The CPU_FAN header has to be "Ignored" in the bios settings (under the Monitor heading) if you are going to use the CPU_OPT. It is ok to use and see if both fans turn on. Or you can run the one that shuts off from the CPU_OPT header only. It should work from one header with a splitter but maybe at 100% it is drawing too much out of that 1 header.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2021 at 7:26am
Originally posted by hoserator

The CPU_FAN header has to be "Ignored" in the bios settings (under the Monitor heading) if you are going to use the CPU_OPT. It is ok to use and see if both fans turn on. Or you can run the one that shuts off from the CPU_OPT header only. It should work from one header with a splitter but maybe at 100% it is drawing too much out of that 1 header.

I had the same thought, but the fans are rated for .3A each (I have 2) and that is a 1A header. I was thinking that I either have a defective fan or maybe that header isn't putting out 1A. I was planning to try the fan header shuffle and also check that header with a multimeter while I have it open, but am trying to ignore it and wait until DS confirms that course of action makes sense to them. It's harder for me to sit here and not tear into it than it was to wait for my PC to ship.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 1:36pm
I decided to tear into it today and I think I figured out the issue. Just posting this in case it helps someone else. After removing the back and digging into the cable management (which involves cutting like 15 zipties ) I got down to what the fans were connected to.

The front AIO fan (problem fan) is connected to power through the black connector and the back AIO fan is connected to the red connector (below).

When I pulled the connectors apart I was intending to swap them just to see what would happen, but I noticed two things. One, that the working fan had 4 pins in the connector and the non-working fan only had 3. I figured that was the issue, but then I also noticed that the far right pin on the non-working fan was depressed a bit. Like it didn't seat all the way in the connector or was pulled out a bit by the tight cable management. I figured I'd try to push the pin up into the connector better and try again before doing anything more invasive and I think that seems to have fixed it.

Red Connector (good fan)

Black Connector (bad fan) - note pin on right not fully engaged/seated and pushed in
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 5:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply