Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RAM, 16 vs 32
    Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 5:34pm
How many of you folks are setting your computers up with 32GB of RAM rather than 16GB?

I have read numerous online reviews on the topic, but thought I would ask. I am still sitting in DS Stage 1 for my Lumos order. It is currently ordered with 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar), but I could probably still change to 32GB if there was a pressing need.

I do a lot of Photoshop work (as well as movie production/editing) but I use the Photoshop Elements Editor, which so far has never stressed the 12GB that I have in my current machine.

As far as gaming, I only do combat flight simulations, and that was back when I only had 4GB in that machine.

So, 32GB is probably overkill for my needs, but thought I would ask for opinions.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 4:17am
Three things:

1. Your uses can benefit by doubling your RAM. The gains will be faster rendering of both your editing work, and smoother, stutter-free, rendering of your flight-sim maps. The gains will not be huge, but should be noticeable and helpful.

2. RAM trades in the marketplace like a commodity, and it's quite plentiful at the moment. That means it's pretty inexpensive to double up. Just a few months ago, going from 16 to 32 GB of the Corsair Vengeance would have cost nearly double what it does now ($129).

3. Adding RAM at a later date is perhaps the easiest upgrade one can make, so you could see how your rig performs, and make the decision later on. You must be sure, however, that the RAM you've ordered doesn't use up all the slots on your motherboard, or you will have to replace instead of just add.

Hope it helps.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 5:10pm
Well, I went ahead and upgraded my order this afternoon to get the Corsair 32GB sticks. Even though I probably don’t need more than 16GB at the present, I thought it would be easier (and maybe cheaper) to do the upgrade as part of the original build rather than finding that I need more a couple years down the road and having to deal with it then. What’s another $112 at this point, right!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 3:19am
I doubt you'll regret it.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2019 at 11:01am
Money well spent IMO. Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply