Post Date: 2014-07-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RAM Questions
    Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 10:55am
Hi Folks,
I was going through the configurator prepping my order for when I buy once the Samsung Pro 850, Asus Formula VII and Noctua NH-15 become available to order when I came across the RAM section.  I was wondering if someone could help me with some of the nomenclature and clear up some confusion I have.  Now there are obviously different 'speeds' (i.e. 1600; 1866; 2133 and 2400).  I get the higher the number the more 'overclocked' or faster the RAM.  My first question is, how does this affect a CPU overclock?  Thus if the CPU is overclocked is there a corresponding RAM speed that would need to be set?  Could having a lower RAM speed limit the amount of the CPU overclock?  I also understand (I could be mistaken here) that adding RAM potentially could affect the overclock so would it be smart just to go for the 32 and not the 16?  Or is 32 overkill (I do use one CAD mapping program)?

Finally, in the configurator, they have the "DS Highly Recommended"; "High Performance" and "Extreme Performance" adjectives.  What is the difference between the three? 

My apologies for all the dumb questions.  Thanks.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 1:26pm
Hi Dax... no dumb questions here.

It varies a lot by the chips you get, but there is a balancing act between cpu overclock and ram overclock. As cpu oc is pushed, the chance of also getting the higher ram clock diminishes to a degree. I can't say what cpu oc you could get with a particular ram speed. Lots of variables but the higher cpu oc should be primary.

There was a time when adding ram effected cpu oc but I don't think the newer controllers are that much of a problem now. At least I haven't seen or heard much about it lately.

32gb ram is up there and not needed unless your into the more intense side of computing, rendering, editing, etc.   16gb is a good middle of the road amount and it can easily be added later.

The different quality ram sticks and the price for them is for chips on them that have been binned, tested as the best of the bunch, and the stick itself designed for stable higher overclocking. The taller heat spreaders, some that light up, also add to the price.

Hope this helps.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 1:39pm
Here's a thread where Meller got more into it than I just did. Good info.
http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/overclocking-tidf22669/

Good luck.
Dax Doomslayer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Keeper of the commas

Quote Dax Doomslayer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 2:04pm
Thanks bprat.  Actually I saw that thread and danjw also had a pretty good post too.  So, I was figuring 16gb but what frequency and should it be 'extreme'; 'high performance' or really is the incremental gain for either really not worth it.  As I'll be using Noctua, the fancy heat spreaders are out of the equation (not sure if that matters in this situation).  As always, I appreciate your guidance!!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jul 2014 at 2:30pm
My pleasure.    I would get the standard DS memory at 1600 or 1866 and get the best bang for your dollars.   If you have extra cash or like the looks of a taller heat spreader then go bigger.    

Noctua does limit the heat spreader but worth it in my opinion.   Performance and reliability of Noctua over looks of the ram is my thing.
 Post Reply Post Reply