FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RAM Upgrade Instability

Post Date: 2022-11-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cept View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cept Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RAM Upgrade Instability
    Posted: 26 Nov 2022 at 8:26pm
Hello! I'm not a hardware, or software guru for that matter. I upgraded my RAM from what is shown in the configuration below to two corsair vengeance RGB 32gb DDR4 3600mhz RAM Sticks. The sticks do say "AMD optimized" but from what I've read they should work with Intel motherboards.

However, when I turn on the XMP profile and choose the 3600mhz option I get system instability after restart. It starts in safe mode each time and always returns to the 2666mhz.

I've also put a 3090 in the system if that makes a difference from the configuration below as well. It works fine at the 2666mhz setting until I change it to 3600mhz.

Any advice to get it to 3600mhz would be much appreciated. I'm sure I'm missing something simple like it's not compatible.

Thank you beforehand!

System Configuration:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-12900K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.2 GHz (Alder Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z690-P D4 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z690 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR4)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Triple Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

Edited by Cept - 26 Nov 2022 at 8:28pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 2:37am
Did you set your XMP profile in the BIOS correctly? Here's an article to help you:

https://www.cgdirector.com/xmp-memory-profile-guide/

Hope that gets you going. If you still have trouble, you can ask DS tech support to walk you through it. Your lifetime support includes helping with user upgrades.   

Edited by Cretae - 27 Nov 2022 at 2:41am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2022 at 6:03am
I would drop the XMP to something more stable, such as 3200 and if it works, leave it.   Memory speeds aren't all that critical for gaming but can help with certain productivity applications.  Difference in performance between 3600 and 3200 is minimal.

If you want to play around and aren't afraid of messing up you could try upping the vcore, vccs, voltage from 1.35 to 1.40.  Just might need more voltage.  Or, don't use XMP but manually put in the ram specs, like 18-25-25-44 for example.

I would select a stable XMP, like 3200 possibly, and avoid headaches.

Big%20Smile

Cept View Drop Down

Quote Cept Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 4:53pm
Hello, thank you for the response! I did do those things. Very similar at least. Even only going to 3200MHz caused safe mode. Just turning on XMP profile 1 itself causes safe mode. The BIOS recognizes the 3600MHz sticks, but keeps them at 2666. I think that is my next best move is to talk to their tech support.

Thank you!

Originally posted by Cretae

Did you set your XMP profile in the BIOS correctly? Here's an article to help you:

https://www.cgdirector.com/xmp-memory-profile-guide/

Hope that gets you going. If you still have trouble, you can ask DS tech support to walk you through it. Your lifetime support includes helping with user upgrades.   
Cept View Drop Down

Quote Cept Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 4:55pm
Yes, I've actually done all these things in the past and even tried it yesterday just to test it again. Same result unfortunately.
I didn't however do the manual voltage without XMP. I did slowly change it to 1.40 with no luck. 3200 also caused safemode.
I tried ever MHz option under 3600 all the way to 2666 with no luck.
I think DS tech support might be my only hope. Thank you for the response and help!
Originally posted by bprat22

I would drop the XMP to something more stable, such as 3200 and if it works, leave it.   Memory speeds aren't all that critical for gaming but can help with certain productivity applications.  Difference in performance between 3600 and 3200 is minimal.
If you want to play around and aren't afraid of messing up you could try upping the vcore, vccs, voltage from 1.35 to 1.40.  Just might need more voltage.  Or, don't use XMP but manually put in the ram specs, like 18-25-25-44 for example.
I would select a stable XMP, like 3200 possibly, and avoid headaches.
Big%20Smile
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:32pm
you should be able to enable XMP and then override the speed/lower it until you get stability. 

i'd also advise running memtest.
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
straxjulia544 View Drop Down

Quote straxjulia544 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 1:34am
It sounds like you are having some issues with your RAM and are unable to get it to run at the desired speed of 3600 MHz. There could be a number of reasons why this might be happening, and it's difficult to say for certain without more information. Here are a few potential solutions you might try:

Check for compatibility: Make sure that the RAM you are using is compatible with your motherboard and processor(If you are using an X570 Motherboard then do not worry). While the Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM you are using is advertised as being "AMD optimized," it should still work with an Intel motherboard. However, it's always a good idea to double-check compatibility to ensure that everything is compatible.

Check for BIOS updates: It's possible that a BIOS update could address issues with RAM compatibility or stability. Make sure you have the latest version of the BIOS installed on your motherboard.

Check the RAM slots: Make sure that the RAM is properly seated in the correct slots on your motherboard. You may want to try moving the RAM to different slots to see if this makes a difference.

Check the RAM timings: The RAM timings refer to the specific settings that determine how the RAM communicates with the rest of the system. If the timings are incorrect, it could cause issues with stability. You may want to try adjusting the RAM timings in the BIOS to see if this makes a difference.

Check the RAM voltage: The RAM voltage refers to the amount of power that is supplied to the RAM. If the voltage is too low, it could cause issues with stability. You may want to try increasing the RAM voltage in the BIOS to see if this helps.

I hope these suggestions help. If you continue to have issues with your RAM running at the desired speed, it might be a good idea to reach out to the manufacturer of your motherboard or RAM for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional guidance or troubleshooting steps.
 Post Reply Post Reply