FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ram Upgrade

Post Date: 2021-03-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CC View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ram Upgrade
    Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 5:55am
As the title states, it's been yrs since I upgraded a pc and was wondering if I'm doing this right.

My pc has:

8GB (2 X 4GB)

288 pin DDR4-SDRAM

speed: @2666mhz

-------------------
My question is: I would like to upgrade my Ram, the only part I can vividly remember is I need to make sure the pin and mhz is 288 & 2666 because that is what the Ram drive hold and what the output (speed) of my motherboard is.

Does the PC4 # matter ?

or do I need to make sure everything matches including the PC4#

or am I doing this all wrong ?¿?

GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:10am
What motherboard do you have? What CPU do you have? There are a number of tutorials on the'net. Buy at least two sticks of the same type of RAM.
CC View Drop Down

Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:20am
mother board is: PRIME H310M-A R2.0

Cpu: : Intel Core i7-9700F
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:50am
Use this document as a starting point:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_H310M-E_R20/Memory-QVL-list.pdf

Find a RAM stick that picks your interest (e.g., RAM speed of 2666 mHz). I picked CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 from the list (2 x 8 GB sticks). Search for that RAM on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-2666MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0123ZC44Y/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=CMK16GX4M2A2666C16&qid=1616074792&sr=8-3

Scroll down the page to make sure this product is the one you were searching for:

Shopping for RAM is an art. You don't need to spend too much for performance your rig can't obtain. There is a balance point. Maybe a combination of 3000 mHz and lower latency than what you currently have.

Here is an example discussion thread you should peruse:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1145086-best-ram-for-9700k/
CC View Drop Down

Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:15am
ok, so how would I know what Speeds and mhz is too high for my pc. 3000 mhz is faster then the 2666.And the highest GB is 32 Right for 2 ram dim slots.

So I can basically buy anything for the Ram Dim slots? hmm.

That you for the info also thus far.

Edited by CC - 18 Mar 2021 at 7:16am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 11:42am
Just an anecdote from my own personal RAM upgrade. I already knew I wanted Corsair RAM so I simply visited their compatibility site and they told me what would, and more importantly, what would not, work with my system.

Take a look if you want... https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=findbycompatibility
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 3:46am
"...basically buy anything"... no. You do need DDR4, but you may slightly exceed the max speed of your mobo for better timings, as GB indicated. The motherboard will slow it down to what it's capable of: 2666 MHz.

This is pretty sophisticated stuff that won't result in much of a boost in performance. IMHO, if you already have DDR4 @ 2666 MHz, there's not much to be gained here worth the money spent.
CC View Drop Down

Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:31am
Originally posted by Cretae

"...basically buy anything"... no. You do need DDR4, but you may slightly exceed the max speed of your mobo for better timings, as GB indicated. The motherboard will slow it down to what it's capable of: 2666 MHz.

This is pretty sophisticated stuff that won't result in much of a boost in performance. IMHO, if you already have DDR4 @ 2666 MHz, there's not much to be gained here worth the money spent.

Oh ok, so I was correct that I can't exceed the 2666 mhz speed of the Ram. and the highest is 32Gb for two dim slots.

This is all I was wanted to know, Thank you all again for the help and Thank you Cretae for the clarification on what was previously said.

Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:43am
Originally posted by CC

Oh ok, so I was correct that I can't exceed the 2666 mhz speed of the Ram. and the highest is 32Gb for two dim slots.

This is all I was wanted to know, Thank you all again for the help and Thank you Cretae for the clarification on what was previously said.

That is not what Cretae said. Your motherboard does allow for higher speed RAM. The point being that the benefits of higher speed RAM or even overclocking RAM has a limited effect on performance. Go for the best price. Keep in mind the Quality Vendor List to ensure that the RAM you buy is actually compatible.
CC View Drop Down

Quote CC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by GrandesBollas

Originally posted by CC

That is not what Cretae said. Your motherboard does allow for higher speed RAM. The point being that the benefits of higher speed RAM or even overclocking RAM has a limited effect on performance. Go for the best price. Keep in mind the Quality Vendor List to ensure that the RAM you buy is actually compatible.

Right, that is basically what I've stated in my previous post. I looked up the mother board and it say 2666mhz compatibility. (I should have looked this up from the get go.)

There is no point in purchasing a 3200Mhz if the output is going too be 2666mhz from the CPU.

it won't give me the output for what the ram I bought (Eg 3200mhz 2x16 (32GB) Ram but what my CPU can put out. I'm understanding everything that has been said.

No sweat Guys thank you again, I really do appreciate the help that has been given. Even if it sounds like I'm not making sense of it. Lol

Post Reply Post Reply