FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rate my build for new 3080 vid card

Post Date: 2020-09-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Baaru View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baaru Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Rate my build for new 3080 vid card
    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:22pm
Budget:
[Up to 5k, give or take a hundred.]

Expectations:
[Looking to upgrade my 5 year old system that I also got here at digital Storm. My current system has been awesome, but now I'm looking to really improve on 1. heat 2. noise. Please have a look and let me know if the cooling and fan solution i selected buys me decent cooling and low noise (I'm willing to pay a little more, even if it's overkill). I did quite a bit of research concerning CPU/Memory/MB specs, but I can always use some efficiency gains, like if selecting non-digitalstorm branding memory will gain me anything.]

Usage:
[Mostly Gaming, watching movies. Play lots of FPS, RPG, MMORPGs, anything really]

Special Needs:
[None, eventually i might add a capture card if i want to stream or just capture some game play.]

Saved Ticket #: [https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3371039]

Specifications:
[Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10900K (5.3 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.7 Ghz <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII HERO (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX - Upcoming Next-Gen Premium (10 GB) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: HydroLux PRO: Exotic Custom Cooling System (CPU Only) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: Flexible Tubing (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Fluid Color: Red Flexible Tubing + Clear Fluid (Requires HydroLux Liquid Cooling System) <br><strong></strong>
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects) <br><strong></strong>
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores <br><strong></strong>
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)]
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:34pm
It's fine. You want all the latest and greatest, I get it.

You won't get much from the 10900K the 10700 doesn't provide. Nothing wrong with the DS RAM. The LL Series are good, the Mag-lev fans are silent.
Baaru View Drop Down

Quote Baaru Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:56pm
I really did debate about the Intel Core i7-10700K vs the i9 i chose. Tomshardware pretty much had them neck to neck, but I was trying to see if one is more efficient for overclocking. The price difference is minimal, so i just went with the newer gen CPU.

When you say the Mag-Lev fans, are you referring to the Thermaltake Riing Plus (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)?

I mainly chose the corsair fans because i know they come with software that you can control speed/noise without having to install any additional hardware.
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 4:07pm
The mag-lev (magnetic levitation) fans are the Corsair ML Series. I have noticed that they (ML) are not being offered on some DS builds any longer. Don't know if that is due to supply issues of something else. You might call DS and ask about them. I have 6 of them on my Lumos, and yes, they are silent.

Edited by Bob100 - 07 Sep 2020 at 4:09pm
SnowandSand View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
Just curious why you didn't go for the GPU in the Hydrolux loop. Not sure how loud the new cards will be but typically the GPU cooling is louder than CPU air coolers.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
16GB Team Dark Pro @ 3200 CL14
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W PSU
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
1TB & 6TB WD - Black Edition
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:34am
Sorry, didn't remember the MLs are not in stock currently. The LL Series will do you.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 3:40am
Originally posted by SnowandSand

Just curious why you didn't go for the GPU in the Hydrolux loop. Not sure how loud the new cards will be but typically the GPU cooling is louder than CPU air coolers.

I am no pro on this stuff, I get my info from reading and YouTube reviewers, but according to the info out there........ you can, if supply allows, get the cards after release date but the "water blocks" for them will be a bit down the road, further delaying your build.

That is what I am hearing IF I am hearing correctly! ;-)
Baaru View Drop Down

Quote Baaru Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 1:34pm

Good Question, mostly because I thought I would not overclocking the GPU at all, but if that gains me some heat (and thus) some noise reduction I may go with that. It just seemed like a steep price climb but it might be worth it.

Can anyone confirm/quantify if there is a significant noise reduction if I go with both the CPU and GPU hydrolux loop?
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Baaru

Good Question, mostly because I thought I would not overclocking the GPU at all, but if that gains me some heat (and thus) some noise reduction I may go with that. It just seemed like a steep price climb but it might be worth it.

Can anyone confirm/quantify if there is a significant noise reduction if I go with both the CPU and GPU hydrolux loop?

I really comes down to the card on how loud it is. Water cooling can easily be quieter than air cooling if you set it up right due to the fans not having to run at a higher RPM to achieve the same cooling. Certain fans such as the Corsair ML Fans typically run pretty quiet. In my personal rig I run 10x Noctua NF-P12 spread out over 3x 360mm radiators and one on the case and the noise really isn't very loud.

Is liquid cooling truly needed nowadays? Absolutely not in 95% of the cases lol. Personally building my own rigs became a hobby of mine after purchasing my first rig from DS lol. Watercooling can run quieter and also brings a certain aesthetic.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:12am
I can confirm through talking with a Live Chat rep that the ML (mag-lev) series fans are not offered on any systems other than the Aventum anymore. I too wanted the ML, but had to go with LL.Was thinking about calling sales to confirm.

We have a similar build by the looks of it; the only reason I opted to liquid cool the graphics card as well, was that there's not a lot of data on the heat/sound output of the brand new cards.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 9:51am
Originally posted by Eggy

I can confirm through talking with a Live Chat rep that the ML (mag-lev) series fans are not offered on any systems other than the Aventum anymore. I too wanted the ML, but had to go with LL.Was thinking about calling sales to confirm.
We have a similar build by the looks of it; the only reason I opted to liquid cool the graphics card as well, was that there's not a lot of data on the heat/sound output of the brand new cards.

Unless they changed it you could always special order parts for a premium also. but I guess that depends on how much you want to spend.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
Eggy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Eggy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:05am
Yes, they definitely used to offer that, not sure what policy is now. It was suggested to me that I could buy them myself and install them once I received the system, but I'm just going with the LL rather than crack open a brand new rig.
"King Solomon"
Hailstorm II

Intel Core i7 5930k
16GB DDR4 2666MHz
Rampage V
3x GTX 980
HydroLux Level 4 (3x GPU + CPU. No chipset)
Baaru View Drop Down

Quote Baaru Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 10:07am
All good points. From what I'm hearing, I dont necessarily need the loop to extend to the GPU (though we dont know for sure until we get our hands on one to test), but having ML fans would be very nice.

I think ill call or chat with a sales rep to see if I can special order some for the velox chassis that I'm selecting.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SnowandSand Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Baaru

All good points. From what I'm hearing, I dont necessarily need the loop to extend to the GPU (though we dont know for sure until we get our hands on one to test), but having ML fans would be very nice.

I think ill call or chat with a sales rep to see if I can special order some for the velox chassis that I'm selecting.

It absolutely isn't needed. My preference would be to do it if you had a custom loop on the CPU otherwise just save the money and put an air cooler or All-in-one on the CPU. That way you don't have to deal with the maintenance of draining and refilling your loop.
Hailstorm II(Retired)
R7 2700x
Asus x470 CH VII Hero
250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2x GTX 980TI Strix
Hydrolux Stage 3
 Post Reply Post Reply