FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Really Need Help In Building My PCs Configuration

Post Date: 2020-06-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Really Need Help In Building My PCs Configuration
    Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:50am
I posted over a year ago about buying a PC from digital storm, however, I changed my mind when something came up and I had to cancel my plans so I am back asking for advice again because I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to some of the parts that go into these things.

Right now the current PC I'm using is an HP ENVY it's probably 3-4 years old. Runs super quiet it has an i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.41 GHz with 16GB of RAM

It's not bad for a store-bought PC it gets the job done for what I want to do. However, I want to be able to handle multitasking a little bit better and when I encode video I don't want it to max out my CPU.

Budget:
[Trying to keep It Under $2500, I won't need a monitor, speakers, mouse, or keyboard. The budget will all be going into the PC. Also trying to take advantage of the promotional of $200 off a purchase of $2,000 PC]

Expectations:
[Fast boot time (of course), Able to handle multitasking without maxing out the PCs RAM. My Current PC I have can handle multitasking (just barely) with 16GB of ram, but the programs I use to encode (DVDFAB and VideoRedo TVSuite) are a bit of resource hogs so I don't know if upping the RAM will help even with those programs.]

Usage:
[A little bit of gaming, I do live streaming to an audience, Video Encoding, and Editing, Watching Movies, Listening to music, General Web Surfing. I use a Hauppauge Gaming PVR capture device to do a live stream to my audience plus I also use it to watch TV while I am surfing the web]

Special Needs:
[I have a very large music and video library, I have mostly kept those on external HDs and my WD Cloud Drives but I guess it would be nice to have them on the computer I am going to purchase. Also When working with video, the file sizes are fairly large so I guess it would be nice to have plenty of HD Space. Of course, what I stated earlier, it must be able to handle multitasking. One of my main questions is can I make my budget work by upping my RAM to 64 and change the secondary drive to a higher amount of space say 4TB?]

The PCs I'm looking at on the website. It is the "Lumos" It is my preferred choice. with this current configuration ID "3192770" I picked out AMD over intel however I do not know which one would be for the best for what I do with my current setup. I do worry if I choose AMD it won't be compatible with my current capture device, however it is not that huge of a deal. It would be just extra money I'd have to spend buying a new one.

So please design my PC for me as if you were creating it for yourself with my budget and my needs. Change anything that's Not Necessary. Although I do enjoy the LED Lighting in the case, I know some people frown upon it. However, I like it but I could sacrifice some of it if I have to. I am completely clueless when it comes to the hardware that goes into a PC.

Thanks,
Todd

Edited by JTF1972 - 20 Jun 2020 at 8:01am
John18 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote John18 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 10:34am
I broke your budget when I also upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. You can bring it to $2499.00 if you remove that, but I suggest that you keep it. I also added the Corsair LL fans, that were an upcharge of $199.00. The question becomes how much will you be showing or looking at the insides of the Lumos?

Here is the build. Lumos

Good luck.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 2:47pm
Although you're not primarily a gamer, your GPU is still a main part of what you use a PC for. What is your monitor resolution? John18 went right to a 2070 SUPER which might not suit you. He didn't quite break your budget because he forgot about your discount, but there are some better parts I would prefer to try to sandwich in there.

Would you be willing to consider a Lynx custom build? It would get you plenty of bling at a lower cost, making room for some better parts for your needs.
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by John18

I broke your budget when I also upgraded to Windows 10 Professional. You can bring it to $2499.00 if you remove that, but I suggest that you keep it. I also added the Corsair LL fans, that were an upcharge of $199.00. The question becomes how much will you be showing or looking at the insides of the Lumos?

Here is the build. Lumos

Good luck.

Thanks for your vision on my build John18. The position of my current PC is on my desk at the moment is close to the wall so if I left it as is I couldn't see inside it. I do plan to move the PC to otherwise of my desk if I go with this build.

What is the main benefit for having windows pro compared to windows home?

I do like those Corsair LL Fans.

The price is a little over budget. however, I do want to make sure with this purchase I am making I'm not going to just be replacing it with something that's going to be equal to my current one. I want it to be a little bit more powerful. It doesn't have to necessarily blow it out of the water but I want to see a difference. I know what I want is probably gonna cost more than my budget. I just would like to see some of the more experienced builders' opinions about the way I should go. I have no clue of should I go with Intel or AMD? Type of Video Card I should use? How Much RAM should I go for?

Your input is highly grateful thanks for answering
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Although you're not primarily a gamer, your GPU is still a main part of what you use a PC for. What is your monitor resolution? John18 went right to a 2070 SUPER which might not suit you. He didn't quite break your budget because he forgot about your discount, but there are some better parts I would prefer to try to sandwich in there.

Would you be willing to consider a Lynx custom build? It would get you plenty of bling at a lower cost, making room for some better parts for your needs.

I would be a bit hesitant on Lynx custom build... although I am sure they are terrific systems. I haven't dealt enough with them to be comfortable. Thanks so much for offering that alternative.

My monitor is actually my sony bravia 45 inch 4k tv.
I am open to anyone's opinions on the best way to go here. Ive been treating this purchase like I'm OCD about it. Knowing Ive got to finance it I want to get it right, right build, right parts best equipment in it. That I'm not just adding an ssd and shiny new case that's on par with my HP ENVY.

Cretae would love to hear your ideas if you don't mind

Thanks,
Todd

Edited by JTF1972 - 20 Jun 2020 at 7:04pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 4:41am
I don't think you understand about a Lynx CUSTOM build. The only thing different from any other would be the CASE that comes stock with RGB lightstrip and RGB fans. You get lots of colorful bling without paying $200 extra for it. The case is also cheaper than any other allowing for more within budget.

So, here's a Lynx Build. Everything you need.
It comes in at $2275 with the discount taken:

Config # 3196610

Same exact thing in a Lumos Case costs $2391 (with discount) without pretty fans. $2590 with.

Config # 3196608

The only thing that would impact you much with an upgrade to WIN 10 PRO is the ability to say yes or no to Windows updates. First, IDK what I would say when WIN asked. Second, I've been using Windows 10 Home for 2 1/2 years without a single problem. Up to you. Add $45.

To see these, go to the main page. Upper right is "Load Config". Copy and paste the number only in the window.

Both builds are essentially the same in different cases, one that comes with its own colors, one without except the light strip.

>Extremely fast CPU that will last for years, mildly overclocked
to help with the constant load work that you do.
>Small upgrade from the basic mobo.
>32 GB fast RAM to improve multi-tasking and assure you have
plenty to speed up encoding and editing.
>850W power supply so you have plenty of power overhead for any
future upgrades.
>A Seagate Firecuda NVMe M.2 form factor SSD for your primary
drive for OS, productivity apps, browser, maintenance software,
and a few games. Up to 5 times faster than a SATA SSD.
>RTX 2070 SUPER is the best in your budget, and should perform
very well with your 60 Hz TV.
> Dual fan all-in-one liquid cooler to keep your CPU very cool with the overclock.
>Internal light strip is free with either build.

Whichever you pick, it will easily perform up to your expectations/needs. Boot times on the Seagate <30 seconds.
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Cretae

I don't think you understand about a Lynx CUSTOM build. The only thing different from any other would be the CASE that comes stock with RGB lightstrip and RGB fans. You get lots of colorful bling without paying $200 extra for it. The case is also cheaper than any other allowing for more within budget.

So, here's a Lynx Build. Everything you need.
It comes in at $2275 with the discount taken:

Config # 3196610

Same exact thing in a Lumos Case costs $2391 (with discount) without pretty fans. $2590 with.

Config # 3196608

The only thing that would impact you much with an upgrade to WIN 10 PRO is the ability to say yes or no to Windows updates. First, IDK what I would say when WIN asked. Second, I've been using Windows 10 Home for 2 1/2 years without a single problem. Up to you. Add $45.

To see these, go to the main page. Upper right is "Load Config". Copy and paste the number only in the window.

Both builds are essentially the same in different cases, one that comes with its own colors, one without except the light strip.

>Extremely fast CPU that will last for years, mildly overclocked
to help with the constant load work that you do.
>Small upgrade from the basic mobo.
>32 GB fast RAM to improve multi-tasking and assure you have
plenty to speed up encoding and editing.
>850W power supply so you have plenty of power overhead for any
future upgrades.
>A Seagate Firecuda NVMe M.2 form factor SSD for your primary
drive for OS, productivity apps, browser, maintenance software,
and a few games. Up to 5 times faster than a SATA SSD.
>RTX 2070 SUPER is the best in your budget, and should perform
very well with your 60 Hz TV.
> Dual fan all-in-one liquid cooler to keep your CPU very cool with the overclock.
>Internal light strip is free with either build.

Whichever you pick, it will easily perform up to your expectations/needs. Boot times on the Seagate <30 seconds.

OH geez, yes youre right I got a bit confused. It was a long day and I thought you meant and Linux OS lol. I cant believe I didn't catch that where I've been on this website past few days. Oh well..

Anyways I will look at your configs and yes I am willing to consider a Lynx custom build if I want to stay within my budget. Will have to finance this thing anyways just have to make sure my monthly payment is reasonable. Living on a fixed income got to make sure I manage my monthly budget right.

Thanks for all your help as well Cretae and sorry about my confusion lol :p

-Todd
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:50am
Perfectly okay. I think I may have sold you a tad short myself. What I suggested is more for gaming than productivity when what would perhaps serve you better would be a productivity build you can game on.

So let's add this into the mix, an AMD 12-core build that will be stronger for encoding and editing.

Config ID 3196811

This comes in at $2334 (with discount) in a Lynx case, and includes the features of the others, but the 4 extra cores and 8 extra threads will be a large help in your encoding and editing. I'm sorry I kinda got locked in to Intel builds. I really think this is more to your needs.

The highlights:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

99940     -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $200     1     ($200.00)     ($200.00)

If I had to pick for you, this would be the one.

You could upgrade to a Lumos case for $116 and Windows Pro for another $45. Fancy fans to make the Lumos case pop would be another $199.

Edited by Cretae - 21 Jun 2020 at 7:51am
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:20am
Love what you've picked out and thanks for doing this.

I think I probably will go for that last config you picked out.

TBH, If I upgrade to a Lumos Case, I don't think there's a need for windows 10 pro. I've been happy with windows 10 home and never had any desire to upgrade it. I really love the Lumos case, and the fans on the front...

I may consider doing Lumos case with fans, windows 10 Home..and everything that's in the lynx case config. Just not sure how much over budget that would run me.

One last question when it comes to Intel vs. AMD. Is there one better than the other?

I do a little bit of gaming but probably wont be doing much PC Gaming, if I do any at all it would be more on a console. However things could change over time.

UPDATE: I created a config (3197009) of the same thing going in a LUMOS case and if I have everything marked right before discount cost is $2,849. Once I purchase it, I plan on paying 500 $ down as one of my first payments

Edited by JTF1972 - 21 Jun 2020 at 9:42am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 3:42am
We agree about Win 10. Some people have issues, I have not.

AMD for many years was eating Intel's dust. In the past 2-3, AMD has come back REALLY strong. Between the two, Intel's fastest chips are better for gaming; AMD's chips are better for the kind of productivity and strong multi-core performance you will use. You get more cores for your money. You're going with what's best for your use, and I apologize again for not recognizing that early on. The AMD will game perfectly well for many years.

You are going to really enjoy your choice of the Lumos, it's easily the most popular case here. Very pleased to be able to help!
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 6:44am

Yeah, my heart was always set on the Lumos but the Lynx system would have worked well if I had to go with it.
Good to hear my latest PC will do well with AMD. Was the only thing I was hesitant on. Been using Intel for so long. I heard so many good things about AMD and thought I should give it a try.

Right now the only thing I am concerned with is if my Hauppauge Gaming PVR capture device will be compatible with the AMD chip I've yet to do some research on it, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. It's just an older device I have had a little while.

No Need to apologize I'm sure a majority of people who purchase pcs from here are strictly gamers so its easy to assume that I needed it mostly for that. Yeah, I do a little bit of gaming but its console type. I'd say in the future I could get into PC Gaming and having this build will work in the long run.
JTF1972 View Drop Down

Quote JTF1972 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 9:50am
and my purchase was made! Bought the Lumos ! Thanks so much for all your help cant wait to get it!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 3:20am
 Post Reply Post Reply