FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reasons for using BCLK?

Post Date: 2018-10-12

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bugfragged View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bugfragged Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Reasons for using BCLK?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:12pm
For some reason, all the DS overclocking profiles for my order (Config ID 1795446) set the BCLK to 102.4. Is there a reason for increasing the BCLK? I would imagine it would be a bad idea to do so if it keeps my Threadripper CPU from turbo boosting and using XFR.
Bugfragged View Drop Down

Quote Bugfragged Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Oct 2018 at 7:53am
I changed my BCLK to 100 just to experiment. It's stable, but it also causes the voltage to be higher due to boost and XFR. I guess the advantage of changing BCLK and disabling all boosts is getting lower voltage.
Meller View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Meller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Nov 2018 at 7:58am
There's nothing wrong with using BLCK for overclocking. You can really fine tune into a very specific overclock by using it.

It's just highly not recommended for an amateur user, new to overclocking, to try and adjust their BLCK as you can mess things up easier that way than just purely adjusting the multiplier.

In case you didn't know, when you're overclocking your CPU, it takes the multipler x BLCK. So if you left the multipler alone, but only reduced the BLCK... you essentially reduced your overclock.

I will say it curious that DS goes as far as to adjust the BLCK for overclocks. You often see default ASUS overclock profiles do that or when you run ASUS AI Suite, it will. I don't trust those software blck overclocks, or built in default ASUS OC Profiles.

Edited by Meller - 21 Nov 2018 at 7:59am
Custom PC
Ryzen 9 5950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
128GB DDR4 3600mhz
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
Samsung 980 Pro 512GB m.2
Samsung 960 PRO 2TB m.2 x2
 Post Reply Post Reply