FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recommended Backup Software?

Post Date: 2009-11-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Recommended Backup Software?
    Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 2:08pm
What backup software do you recommend for my new PC that will run Windows 7 Ultimate- 64 bit edition?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 3:19pm
I alwasy advise cloning to an external drive with acronis, you can follow my clone guide here
B5GkarNarn View Drop Down

Quote B5GkarNarn Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 6:27pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

I alwasy advise cloning to an external drive with acronis, you can follow my clone guide here
Thank you, DST4ME!

Am I correct in assuming that I would have to follow all of the steps that you mention in the post that you linked to above for my first backup with the new DS rig that I'm expecting to arrive in a few weeks?

How often should I perform this cloning after the initial one?
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2009 at 7:13pm
cloning is northing but copying, so all we are doing is duplicating what is on your HDD1 to another drive, so if anything goes wrong you have 2 options:

1. restore (clone back) from the clone HDD.

2. use the clone as HDD1.

because you are duplicating, all the data is transfered so your os and everything on that drive is copied as is, which means you clone drive is bootable and ready to go anytime you need it.

as to how often, that depends on you, some people do it every night, some people do it twice a week, some do once a week, the thing to remember is that if say your current HDD1 goes bad, you can pop in the clone, but you will be back to the last time you cloned.

I myself do like once a week, I don't lose much stuff or data if I go back a week, so that is good enough for me.

yes you have to follow the steps exactly, if there is any question open a new thread and ask and I will help you.

Post Reply Post Reply