FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recreational Gaming

Post Date: 2021-01-09

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
sugushankari View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote sugushankari Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Recreational Gaming
    Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
The last PC I bought from DS was 12 years ago, and it's still going :). Talk about solid build. I haven't been using it for gaming, but it just keeps running.

But now I'm thinking of getting back into gaming, but nothing hardcore. Let me know if there are better ways to tweak this build.

Budget:
Around $2K, but open to adjust if unrealistic.

Expectations:
I have a 38 inch 3840x1600 widescreen 60Hz dell monitor. May upgrade to a 43 inch eventually. But I don't have to max out performance. Shadows need not be perfect. No need to run at highest anti-alias settings.

Usage:
Recreational gaming, movies, browsing.

Special Needs:
* I plan to dual boot it for Linux. I'll likely swap in a drive from the old PC. So, leaving the second drive empty.

* Slade X: for low noise. Don't care much about looks or RGB. The PC will actually be out of sight.

* Radeon RX GPU: I read somewhere that they pair well with the Ryzen. But I'm open otherwise.

* Liquid cooling: for further noise reduction.

* 32GB: because it was cheap.

Saved Ticket #: 3713089

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Slade X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON (Wi-Fi) (X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 4:08am
Not unrealistic at all.

I would definitely step up to the 850W PSU for $36. you will never be prevented from expanding/upgrading in future by lack of power overhead.

You might want to do a little investigating of the GPU selection. I'm pretty sure the card will perform, but my concern would be that it would be constantly laboring to push that many pixels, and run hot and loud.

Edited by Cretae - 10 Jan 2021 at 4:48am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 5:47am
Cretae is right about thinking about spending another $150 or so for a much better card,  like the  better 3060Ti.  The 5700XT is similar in performance to my old gtx 1080.  My 1080 performs pretty descent on a 2560x1440 screen but no room for future growth.  Your wide screen will need more juice than my 2k, about 20-30% more.  The 3060Ti will give you about 30% more than the 5700k to drive the larger resolution.  

Just me, but I would try to go 3060Ti if budget allows, for a new system to last for a few years.  I personally would go 3080 at least but then you're talking even more money.  The graphics card, for gaming, is really the last thing you want to scrimp on.

I have also read that the 5700 can be a heat issue and drop performance when pushed.  Some have lowered the clock speed or tweaked the cooling fan curve to keep performance up, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is. 

I'm still a fan of NVidia over Radeon unless you go to their high end cards.

Will the 5700 give you good, medium range gaming?  For sure.  I can play COD at 60-90 fps and have a blast, but I would love to try Ray Tracing  and that requires gobs of graphics power.

Good luck. 

Quote sugushankari Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 9:24am
Thanks Cretae & bprat22. I see the point of going for a higher end card. The trade-off I had in mind was to upgrade them later as the prices dropped. But then, maybe I'm overthinking it.

Here's an alternate build that lands at $2497: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3714129

The changes are:
* Upgraded GPU to 3080
* Upgraded power supply

To soften the blow:
* Downgraded motherboard to Asus, but added wifi card: -100
* Downgraded liquid cooling to stock fan: -94

Do these downgrades make sense? My other option is to not downgrade the mobo and cooling, and go for the 3060 instead (keep a stronger foundation). Then I can upgrade to the 3080 later this year when the price drops, and keep upgrading for much longer.

This is the alternate build at $2268: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3714310

Edited by sugushankari - 10 Jan 2021 at 10:54am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Jan 2021 at 2:32pm
You nailed it with your first change, the 3714129 build with 3080, Except, don’t downgrade to the stock cooler. Bad idea because they just get you by plus dump all the heat into the case. Keep the cooler you had for sure. Priority.

If you absolutely can’t swing the extra $100 and keep the liquid cooler, 3080 and better psu, I guess I would change 3080 to 3070.    3070 is a great card.   

The price of the 3080 probably won’t drop in price, it’s a great price already for what you get.   No sense in buying a 3060 now and then buy another card later in the year.   The extra $100 now is better all around and cheaper.

I do understand keeping on budget, that’s why building a rig can be tough choices.   Just remember, you will have this for years.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Jan 2021 at 2:33pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:40am
I can heartily endorse the RTX 3070 for your use. With a 60Hz monitor refresh, I think the 3080 would just be a needless overreach. The 3070 will certainly drive the pixel count, and the native resolution makes more power unnecessary, IMHO.

Quote sugushankari Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 11:11am
My evil friends are asking me why I'm artificially skimping. Sooo, I'm thinking of pushing this further up with CPU: 5600->5800.

Here's the new build at $2801: https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=3716807

Would you suggest any more tweaks?
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:04pm
Go for it.   Gaming doesn’t generally need more than 4-6 cores, but my understanding is a few will use 6-8 cores if available.   In fact, 2-4 is still the most prevalent being used.   That doesn’t mean the extra core usage actually helps.   Games like clock speed over added cores.   No way to predict future needs.

Quote sugushankari Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:04pm
Yeah. The additional cores are for the option to do software development work: running parallel tests. I would have even gone for the 5900 if it wasn't back-ordered.
Gldigital View Drop Down

Quote Gldigital Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by bprat22

Go for it.   Gaming doesn’t generally need more than 4-6 cores, but my understanding is a few will use 6-8 cores if available.   In fact, 2-4 is still the most prevalent being used.   That doesn’t mean the extra core usage actually helps.   Games like clock speed over added cores.   No way to predict future needs.

How much would for 6-8 though?

Quote sugushankari Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 7:11pm
Ordered :)

Thanks for all the help!
 Post Reply Post Reply