FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

redd720's Lynx hardware upgrades?

Post Date: 2021-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
redd720 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote redd720 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: redd720's Lynx hardware upgrades?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 5:29pm
hey I just got my lynx level 1 knowing that I would need to build on to it and was wondering what I would need to do to upgrade it to run warzone and call of duty cold war as those are the games enjoy most I know I may need a graphics cars I just don't know where it would go or which one would be best and I know I need ram but I don't know where that would go either or how many gbs of it I would need I know what they look like I just dint want to break anything
Redd720
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 6:14pm
Hey redd720. Welcome to DS ownership. I've created your own unique thread so The Smart Guys® can come along and find you.

Just from my own experience, upgrading to 16Gb RAM is easy and simple. I used the compatibility tool offered at Crucial.com to verify and order my upgrade.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2021 at 8:34pm
Your monitor resolution is an important factor. If you don't have one, I'd strongly recommend you stick with about a 24"-27" 1080p IPS panel that can get to around 144 frames per second. You are limited by your 600W power supply to no stronger than an RTX3060 Ti. That card is absolutely killer for 1080p and will last years. It's also very expensive ($(900+), as are all GPUs right now.

A significant step down is a GTX 1650 SUPER card from Nvidia that you can get into at around $500 new. It will run a 1080p monitor quite well, but not at the high framerates a 3060 will.

If you are comfortable shopping on Ebay, it's likely your best bet to save some money.

When you have one, you simply plug it into the top PCIe slot on your motherboard and locate the power cable(s) that go to it. It/they may be behind your motherboard since they are not currently in use. Depending upon what GPU you get, it may need one or two power cables. There are plenty of videos on You Tube that show you how.

Same goes for a RAM install. Literally just plug into the slots. 16GB would be enough. You have to have matching sticks, so you can't just add to the RAM you already have unless you can get the exact same. It's better to have two 8GB sticks than one 16GB. That's so you can have dual channel RAM going for you.

Does that help?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 4:13am
Welcome to DS and the world of the pc.

You got a manual with your system. I suggest you open it up and read how to install a gpu to get the feel of your particular mobo when you look at the online help videos.
Good luck. It is not hard to do and will be a huge upgrade.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 10:13am
Good input and advice guys!

As far as a graphics card suggestion, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for an AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT. It's about equal to the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 (non-Ti). However, Radeon cards are less popular thus typically better supply nowadays. With that said, you're still not going to get one at the MSRP nor easily -- it's just a better chance. For the 6600 XT, ~$600 or less would be a good target price relativity speaking.

The best price I found via a quick marketplace search was $700 for this:

Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB GDDR6 Graphics Card | Amazon
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2021 at 7:19pm
Great thread!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Oct 2021 at 5:08am
Great idea MrCheetah! You're quite right of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply