FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replace or wait?

Post Date: 2022-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Esquire195 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Esquire195 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Replace or wait?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 6:31am
Hi everyone,

Two time prior purchaser of DS rigs. I made a post back in September 2020 about whether it was a good time to purchase. At the time the 3xxx series of NVIDIA cards was set to release and everyone advised waiting. I know there have been inventory issues since release, but I haven't monitored closely because I was able to perform minor repairs on my 11 year old DS rig and keep it running. Fast forward to now and my DS rig is on its absolute last leg and probably won't last much longer.

Just a brief overview of my uses. I play MMOs like ESO and FFXIV, as well as games like Diablo 3 (and eventually Diablo 4). I have a PS5 and XBOX Series X, so I typically play PC when it is an MMO or I want keyboard/mouse functionality. In the past I've spent a bit more on components to get rigs that give me some longevity so I can get a lot of use out of it with minimal replacing of parts.

My two main questions are:

1. Does it still cost a significant amount more to build a PC right now? When I played with the configurator recently it seemed the GPUs were around double the MSRP but I wasn't sure if the price increases were happening with all components or just GPUs.

2. If I did decide to purchase now and possibly upgrade the GPU when the 4series releases, is it feasible to build a rig with top end components and still get a GPU that can max the games I mentioned above without paying $5-600 over MSRP? I'd be gaming @ 1440 with a desire to move to 2160 when I get a different monitor.

Any advice is appreciated, been very happy with my two computers from DS and would love to get another PC from them.

Post Reply Post Reply