FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacement gaming rig

Post Date: 2020-12-11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Fladan View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Fladan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Replacement gaming rig
    Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
Budget:
$2500

Expectations:
Need new Gaming rig replacing I7-7700 @3.60 Ghz 16 GB Ram 64 bit GTX 1070, 1080 monitor

Usage:
Only play single person First Person Shooters. Is it better to go 1440 now (with high FPS) or bite the bullet and go 4k.

DigitalCow View Drop Down

Quote DigitalCow Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 11:04am
I built a configuration for you at 3634736. It comes out to $2,652, before the discount. From there, you can change the chassis if you wish to save some money, or take out the secondary SSD if you don't think you'll need it.

I personally think it is a pretty good build, but I'll leave it others if they think otherwise. One thing to note, however, is that for fully custom PCs, it may take a month or more before the PC is ready for delivery. There are some ready to ship PCs offered by Digital Storm, but since your budget is a bit higher, there is also the custom PC option if you are able to wait.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Online
  Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:09pm
Made some changes that will help you out. Changed the case to the Lynx which saves you quite a bit of money, which left extra moolah for a couple of upgrades. Those are in the CPU and changed the Storage Drive 1 to a NVMe, same size, and upped your Ram to 32GBs. Comes in at $2675 WITHOUT the discount!
Config #3634941

Look at the config but wait until the "Master Configurator" has a look, and I am being serious. @Cretae
Old Gamers Never Die!
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 12:54pm
Haha, always wait for Cretae.

I think fireman's build is really good and will deliver fantastic performance at 1440p. Do keep in mind the rarest parts on the market right now are the 5900x and 5950x. This will make your time to ship quite long, depending on how things go at the turn of the year. If timing isn't an issue - this build rules.

If it is an issue - switching to a high-performance Intel chip, or even a 3900x is an option. Last gen Ryzen CPUs are still fantastic. Especially if you're mainly gaming.

Again - wait for Cretae    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:03am
The big question first. There is not much reason to ever go for 4K IMO at the typical monitor sizes most everyone uses. On a 40" supermonitor, maybe, but not 24-34". There is just no quality difference that comes near justifying the HUGE difference in the price of parts. The state of video today is that high framerates are within reach of all of us, and testing has shown that means more to the eye than resoution ever can on a small screen.

Next up: the choice of platform. You may wonder...why AMD? Simple reason is AMD has completely closed the gap with Intel that has existed for 15 years. Right now, and well into march or April of next year, AMD builds are offering the next generation PCIe 4, while the Intel procs and boards are all stuck in the past with PCIe 3. It's not an enormous difference, mind you, but all parts going forward will be PCIe 4. The GPUs already are, for example. Those parts will be gimped on a soon-obsolete platform. It just makes sense to me to look forward, not back.

The next big issue that everyone mentioned is availability of parts. IMO you would never know any difference between a 5800X and a 5900X for your gaming, so why fight the issue? Simple fact is the top CPUs in either flavor these days are overpowered for gaming. The GPU does most of the heavy lifting, and all you need in a CPU is one that won't get in the way. That's basically ANY of the 5000 series AMD procs. The 5800X fits your budget.

I think both builds the guys came up with are solid and creative. The new 3060 Ti is a heckova card, and will perform very well at 1440p. The 3070 will perform better, is all. It's really a tough choice, and a central one. The difference is just 15% or so. If you're at 120 fps are you going to SEE 15fps more? Some say yes, science says most of us will not.

I have two suggestions, and both have the RTX 3070 for the better performance.

Here's the Lynx. IDK why fwfdfireman's build didn't show the RGB fans that are stock in the Lynx. But they are here. A little bling for free:

3637034    $2382 after discount. This is the best combo of parts for the lowest price IMHO.

Here's a Lumos:

3637041    Just a teensy bit over budget at $2574 after discount. It has the 32GB of RAM that is merely a nice-to-have and not needed for gaming yet. If you ditch that, it comes in right at $2498. Additional RAM is fairly cheap and easy to install at a later date.

The only flaw in DigitalCow's build is the DS "Performance" M.2 for primary drive. It's a SATA PCIe 3 part, and nowhere near as fast as a Firecuda NVMe. The selection of the second most expensive case here is for stronger budgets IMHO.

fwfdfireman's build is very good as well, but the inclusion of the Ryzen 5900X means an indefinite wait, and won't be a game-changer for you.

grasoline made some good points.

There's lots to think over here. I didn't make the builds with the RTX 3070s because I think the new 3060Ti doesn't have chops. Far from it! I just wanted to show you what you could do if you want to. You get all the options, and get to choose yourself what the most important ones are.

Feel free to come back with questions if you have any.
Fladan View Drop Down

Quote Fladan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:00am
To all, Thank you

I really appreciate the comments on 1440 vrs 4k

I have a 27" monitor now and will get another 27" Any recommendations on specs for monitor?
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:58pm
If you have the cash here's my favorite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD94TQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm
Some of us here have been using the Asus PG279Q and are quite satisfied, me included. There are many in that size. Check out reviews.

I also agree as to the 2K vs 4K on 27".  The clarity on 4K (and it is there) is not worth the difference in cost. However, if cost is no issue, the 4K is hands down the winner IMHO. That said, you will need the extra costly hardware to move all those pixels so I really mean it when I say if cost is no issue.

Edited by hoserator - 12 Dec 2020 at 4:05pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 3:09am
I don't recall I've ever seen hoserator's recommendation cost that much. It seems it's an end-of-life premium for fans because they don't make them anymore. In it's heyday, it was def a top monitor, but I pretty distinctly recall them being around $800. It is a G-Sync only monitor. I wouldn't recommend those because they close out AMD cards which have become very competitive with Nvidia. A monitor will often outlast several GPUs, and who knows where the competition will lead? Not a good idea to close the door on half the market.

The best of both worlds is a G-Sync compatible monitor. IMO, you need not pay more than $500 for a very good one. grasoline's suggestion is a very highly regarded one of those.
Fladan View Drop Down

Quote Fladan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 7:49am
I had the same discussion (1080 vrs 4k TV) with my wife when we bought a new tv. It all depended on size of screen and how far away you were.
The 27 seems a good size for my desk and playing. So I am looking for G-sync, 1ms and 144hz. Yes?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:21am
Ahh Oops, I did not check grasoline's.

AMD is changing the monitor horizon by having competitive gpus. Forward looking we should hope past performance is not precedent.

Frame rates do make a difference in FPS. The more the better. Definitely get a monitor that will work with your cards. FreeSync for AMD and G-Sync (have proprietary chip) for Nvidia. G-Sync compatible leaves some perks since there is no G-Sync chip but is so certified.

I was just pointing out that most will find that 4K and related hardware (gpu/cpu) is very costly but for those that are on the fence and don't mind spending  some mulah it is very nice on the eyes. Smile

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 3:39am
Yes, that would be very good, but I would definitely stick to G-Sync compatible. One of those is automatically Freesync, but also enables G-Sync. Both are techs mostly to eliminate screen tearing. That can occur if your GPU can send more fps than your monitor's refresh rate. So, 144 fps is a very good thing to have, but GPUs these days can often produce higher than that in the less demanding games. G-Sync and Freesync mean you don't have to dial back your game settings to cut back the framerates.

It's a feature you want, but if you end up with a G-Sync only, it's more expensive for the proprietary part, and it could shut you off from Freesync (ever using an AMD GPU) in many cases. It's a problem that's being worked on by Nvidia through driver changes, but it's not universally available right now.
Fladan View Drop Down

Quote Fladan Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:32am
So best of all would be G-Sync compatible vrs G-Sync, 144hz. I have the Cretae on order with 3070. They say AMD is backordered till January. Thanks to everyone
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 3:12am
Happy Trails, Fladen. You shouldn't have any regrets. Let us know how it all turns out for you. Merry!
 Post Reply Post Reply