FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing liquid-cooled video cards first time

Post Date: 2019-01-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Replacing liquid-cooled video cards first time
    Posted: 04 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
Hi,

I have a lovely Aventum 3 that I purchased a few years ago. Right now it has three liquid-cooled ASUS Strix 980Ti video cards. This is how it came from Digital Storm.

I'm thinking about replacing those three video cards with two RTX 2080Ti cards. In particular, I'm interested in these cards by EVGA:

EVGA Liquid-Cooled Cards

I have never swapped out liquid-cooled cards before. Is it fairly easy? Also, do you foresee any installation issues that I might run into when switching from the ASUS Strix cards to the EVGA cards? Will the liquid-cooling connectors be compatible?

I'm attaching a photo of my current setup in case that helps the discussion.

Thanks so much for your help!

Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 12:09am
I don't have your set up but it looks like you have quick disconnects (QDs) coming out of the back wall. If you do, just detach and remove the cards. I would try to remove them as a block but ........
More than likely none of the cooling parts will work with the new cards regardless of brands so you will have to get those cards (new) ready for lc. (Probably EKWB parts.)
Let us know how it goes. Good luck. Big%20Smile

BTW, very nice setup. I have an Av 2 with 4x980s and was going to switch cards with the new ones but I am not totally convinced that they are worth it. Will wait for the second generation RTXs. Games are still playing maxed out on a PG279Q.

NOTE: just saw your cards and you'll only need a connecting cooling bridge (remove the tubing fittings from the one bridging the 980Ti's) for the two cards you are adding and attach the tubing back in (use the same fittings you removed (the thread is uniform). The graphics drivers do not care what brand card you are using. You will have to dl the latest drivers from NVIDIA, if you don't have already.

Edited by hoserator - 05 Jan 2019 at 3:05am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 2:15am
First warning.... Pictures like that need the NSFW tag!!

.. kidding of course, but that picture is darn sexy! ..
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 12:51pm
Ok, this weekend I'm finally going to start on this upgrade. I just got two EVGA Hydro Copper 2080Ti video cards, and they are ready to be installed. Here is an image of one such card:

I've been reading stuff online, and watching a few videos about liquid cooling, and I have a "reasonable" idea of what needs to be done. However, I still have many questions.

Here is my vague plan at the moment:

1) Remove the quick disconnects from the back wall.

2) Remove the existing 3 video cards as a single unit, sliding them out together, along with their cooling bridge, and the tubing that was previously attached to the back wall.

3) Now that the cards are out, remove the tubing, fittings, and cooling bridge from the cards. I'll use some of this equipment for the new cards. (Not the bridge.)

4) Connect the 2 new cards together using a tiny segment of flexible tubing, essentially creating a tiny cooling bridge. Something similar to this:

5) Install the new cards as a single unit, sliding them in together.

6) Put back the tubing that connects the video cards to the back wall.

7) Somehow deal with air that was introduced to the cooling system.

8) Turn everything on, and check for leaks.

9) Top off the cooling liquid.

Questions:

I have several questions...

• Is it a good idea to use a tiny segment of flexible tubing as a cooling bridge between the two cards? I've seen people do this online, but wonder if it's the best solution.

• Do you know what kind of tubing I should use to bridge the cards? I don't know what size, brand, or model to get. Then I'll have to get the right fittings too. What's the best brand?

• I'm a little confused about the best cooling configuration. Each video card has 2 liquid cooling connection points, so that's 4 possible attachment points. Hmmm...I need to think that through. Do you have any recommended configuration?

• How will I get air out of the system once the cards are installed? It seems like the newly attached tubes will be full of air, and so will the video cards. Can I just turn the system on to push the air out, or is it more complicated? Should the cards and tubes be filled with liquid before I slide them into the case?

• Finally, what's a good brand of coolant to use when topping off the system. Right now I have a red collant that was installed by Digital Storm in 2015. Can I just mixed some new coolant in with the old?

Ok, sorry the huge post, and soooooo many questions.   :)

James
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 1:25am
Hi

That is a nice card and very good company.
Have never done what you will but some observations;

I am not sure but I think that the tubing connecting the cards is not soft but hard acrylic tubing or maybe even glass. Soft might not be leak proof. There are articles on flow direction (I just read one in EK).  I have bought fittings from various and they are all basically the same IMHO and correlate to price. Usually, with exceptions, if you buy a dozen for 10.00 don't expect same quality as 1 for the same price.

The air will probably bleed out of the system through the reservoir. On mine the tubing coming out of the cards goes to the res. Don't know how the flow is directed in yours since you have the new manifold.

You have to call DS for the coolant they used and ask for some. Hopefully they still use it or you can get online. I believe that you have to use the same. You might have to drain and flush if you can't find it but some more knowledgeable members can enlighten us otherwise. 

Those cards should complement that system really well. Are you also getting a 4K monitor? I have had access to a PG27U and its is ...............Drooling

Sorry can't provide more detailed instructions but am also new to this liquid cooling and learning as I go.

Keep us posted.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 16 Mar 2019 at 5:01am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Apr 2019 at 5:38pm
Did some research and found sli bridges for coolants with the glass tubing like you want in various sizes.

Check:  frozencpu.com/liquid cooling/Fittings-Accesories/SLI Connectors, p.2

Those are very nice cards. Waiting for some myself.

I also found a 24 pin connector: with a splice and switch to only turn on the pump. Amazon has it.

This is the link, tried finding it with the description and no luck so:

CRJ 24-Pin ATX Red LED Power On/Off Switch Jumper Bridge Cable, Black Sleeved 22"

Edited by hoserator - 08 Apr 2019 at 1:52am
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 9:46am
EKWB just released a new solid bridge for liquid cooled gpus. Might want to check it out.
 Post Reply Post Reply