Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Expsych View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Expsych Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Replacing old pc
    Posted: 28 Jul 2014 at 11:10pm
Hi everyone,

My 7 year old computer decided to finally have a part flat out fail on me, and given its age I have decided to start looking at replacing it instead of repairing it and hoping nothing else dies.

Budget: $1500, though I would prefer to keep it closer to the $1000 if possible. Just looking at a pc as I already have accessories.

Expectations/usage: I want to run a dual monitor setup (I have 2 21.5 inch monitors that run 1920x1080) where ideally I can play games on one monitor (I primarily play MMOs like WoW and Wildstar, and would love to be able to raid without dropping to 1-3 fps the instant everyone starts attacking the boss), and watch movies/youtube/streams or pull up web pages/music on the other.
Also, as may be apparent when I get a computer I intend to keep it for a long time, so I would like to have some longevity in so much as is possible, since the most I would want to worry about doing in the coming years would be maybe upgrading the graphics card (and depending on the card maybe the power supply).

Special needs: I do have a cat, so if there is any way to either minimize the amount of cat hair that can get into it, or make it easier to clean out, that would be great, but given how good cat hair is at getting into everything I know that may be asking for too much. :P
I do keep most of my files on an external hard drive, so outside of the os and daily use programs and games I don't tend to keep all that much on the actual hard drive, so my only concern for hard drive size would be making sure that whatever hard drive setup I end up with will allow things to load quickly (I am intrigued by the idea of having the os on a solid state and other things on a regular hard drive since I have heard awesome things about that).

I've been having a lot of fun looking at all the builds on the site, but it does make it hard to narrow things down, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am currently liking the look of the Vanquish II, and the possibility of having it shipped within 72 hours is tempting, but I don't want to end up going for the short term benefit only to potentially lose out on getting a rig that would be better suited to what I want to do.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 3:51am
At your budget, the best bang for your buck, imho, is still the Vanquish II Ultimate. The GTX770 is a great card.

With all computers around animals, off of the floor not close to the edge where the animal can push it off.. although with the weight and size of this thing, it's not likely. I am dealing with 3 cats and find that as long as I clean the filters once a month, everything stays nice and cool.

(find something to put ON your machine so ms. kitty doesn't decide is a nice place for a nap!)

The reason the Vanquish ships in 72 hours is because it's pre-built and ready to go after some testing. There are no configuration options and, while it can be upgraded, there are certain aspects to this machine that make long term upgrading not possible.

The Vanquish II Ultimate is a GREAT entry level machine for those on a budget. If you want something specific or custom made, you're going to have to increase your budget by about half at the minimum.

Hope this helps. By the way, if you can't tell, I love my Vanquish II Ultimate.

Cheers.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 4:46am
I second what Snaike said.

Either the Vanquish level 3 or 4 will work great for your budget. The added money for level 4 is a 20 % stronger graphics card , the SSD for blazing fast boot times and a better cpu cooler.

For the cat hair and dust, keep the rig off the floor where the dust balls swirl around.   Mine is on a low file cabinet, about 2ft, and it stays clean inside.

Good luck.

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Jul 2014 at 4:49am
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 6:58am
At that price range for a DS system, I agree with the others, go Vanquish. They are the best price/performance that DS offers. They are prebuilt so you aren't allowed any customization.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 10:35am
I play Wow on my Vanquish Level 4. I have the older one with the overclocked CPU but only a GTX 670. Raiding is fine with the system.

The only time i notice any real slowdown is when i do world bosses and have a group of 40 people. 25 and 10 mans are fine.

Expsych View Drop Down

Quote Expsych Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 12:12pm
Thanks for all the replies! It is good to know I was on the right track.

Ariktu: Is the slowdown in world boss fights major, or can you still play through it fairly easily? Because I would rather my fps drop from 60 to 30 for example, instead of 30 to 3 :P
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jul 2014 at 7:29pm
It is only right at the beginning when it drops to low FPS if you have 40 people in the group- once the first few seconds are over it moves back up to higher FPS and is playable.

I must admit to not really watching FPS really so i could not give you an exact number it was at and it went to. I just know it plays fine after those first few seconds when everyone is blowing cooldowns.

My GPU and CPU are lower than the current Level 4 so you might get better performance than I do.
 Post Reply Post Reply