FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Request advice on config.

Post Date: 2010-12-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
17blue17 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Request advice on config.
    Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 2:44am
Any advice is appreciated.

I have been looking each December the last couple years and keep delaying as my current old computer was running fine and I wanted the new technology drivers and OS systems to get the bugs out before I upgraded as I have gotten burned in the past with being on the bleeding edge. The main game I like to play is EU3 from Paradox which has come out with an expansion (Devine Wind) and my old Windows XP and ATI 3850 AGP card for some unknown reason can't handle it even though others with older rigs can so maybe it is an ATI issue that Paradox did not correctly write their code for - I don't know and they currently don't know either and I am not alone. I just want to get way from ATI although their cards do produce nice clear crisp color.

Budget:
$2500 or less

Expectations:
single video card rig. Intend to use for 5 years or more. Have a a number of older games that run fine with windows XP.    

Usage:
strategy games which are not high graphics like a shooter game would be but Paradox which makes the EU3 game series places a lot of the load on the GPU rather than the CPU. I could maybe go with the GTX 570 except that I don't want to be too obsolete to start with..

Special Needs:
stability over speed.

Want a motherboard with stable bios and good support.

Like the power supply to be over powered rather than boarder line.

Would like to keep using my current NEC MultiSync E700 CRT as it works fine for me. Don't know if this is an issue. Normal display is 1024 by 768 at 90 refresh.

I like 3 hard drives but I could go for 2 with 1 external for backup.

Would like some advice for a wireless key board and mouse. I know I can buy the mouse and keyboard else where but it would be nice to have it all working when it arrives.

The keyboard needs to have a sturdy surface as I type hard and in general I am hard on the keyboard. I like a soft smooth touch but not real soft. Current keyboard needs to be replaced as it uses the old I touch ( pre set point ) software.

I have a Logitech MX 1000 Laser mouse that is several years old but works fine. I don't need a gaming mouse - just stable smooth scrolling with a good period between charges.   

Saved Ticket #: 472351

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 3:17am
The difference between 570 and 580 is like 9 fps in the game where it counts, at your res, you will never ever never ever never notice the difference between the 2 anyways.

In short stick with 570, but even that is too much for your res/crt.

750w corsair is more then you need, and since you don't want to go multi gpu, you don't need the 1000w.

the rest looks good.

as for keyboard and stuff, I'm not very good with those.

I can tell you that DS does not install drivers for the extra parts like keyboard and etc, nor do they test them, and the 4 year warranty does not cover them either.

Edited by DST4ME - 24 Dec 2010 at 3:18am
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 2:09pm
thank you
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 3:58pm
My pleasure and good luck     
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2011 at 9:07pm
buy what you like but its definitely worth mentioning that its well within your budget to upgrade your monitor which will drastically improve your viewing experience.. as a gaming rig you are spending money in some very strange places, do you really need 2 TB of storage?!

what interests you about 3 HDs? a main... storage... and backup?
hard copy backups cant be replaced for one, and unless you are storing hours of HD video 1 TB is a whole lot of space to use up.

as far as 5 years goes, it really doesnt matter what you buy. it will be completely outclassed in 3 years, let alone 5. better off getting a 570 and pocketing the left over money for a new video card after 3ish years.

im suprised to hear that you want to hang on to a 1024 by 768.. with a 2500 budget what could possibly be your reasoning for this? comparing that to a decent 1920x1080 monitor is like comparing your parents old 10 inch kitchen tv to a current 40"+ HD tv
like i said before, buy what you want, i just feel like you are really cheating yourself.
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by !ender_

buy what you like but its definitely worth mentioning that its well within your budget to upgrade your monitor which will drastically improve your viewing experience.. as a gaming rig you are spending money in some very strange places, do you really need 2 TB of storage?!

what interests you about 3 HDs? a main... storage... and backup?

hard copy backups cant be replaced for one, and unless you are storing hours of HD video 1 TB is a whole lot of space to use up.

as far as 5 years goes, it really doesnt matter what you buy. it will be completely outclassed in 3 years, let alone 5. better off getting a 570 and pocketing the left over money for a new video card after 3ish years.

im suprised to hear that you want to hang on to a 1024 by 768.. with a 2500 budget what could possibly be your reasoning for this? comparing that to a decent 1920x1080 monitor is like comparing your parents old 10 inch kitchen tv to a current 40"+ HD tv

like i said before, buy what you want, i just feel like you are really cheating yourself.

Thanks for the reply. As I previously posted I have been looking for the last 3 years and people have responded to my request for advice the last three Decembers.

I have carefully listened and considered their advice. I started out three years ago with a $5,000 wish list including liquid cooling etc and slowly changed things over time after considering the forums input.

So let me explain my why I decided to do what I finally did.

1) The monitor. I am an accountant and have spent the last 27 years at work looking at various monitors every single day including 3 years with a couple different flat pannels. My monitor at home - a NEC MultiSync E700 gives me the best clear sharp display both text and graphics including very nice rich color and it works fine.   I only play strategy games and I like 1024 by 768 as my eyes are not as young as they used to be. And when the monitor dies then I can buy the larger flat pannel but I just don't see any reason to spend the money now.

2) This will be my fourth computer and I have found the more hard disk space the better.   The games I like allow you to heavily mod them and have multiple copies.

I use one disk for the system, a second for data, and the third for backup.   I listened to the advice on the forum last year and tried an external hard drive for backup. I spent a couple days reading reviews on various external drives and how reliable they are and quickly lost faith in putting all my eggs in one basket.

I intend to keep using the third internal for regular backup and restore as internal drives appear more reliable. However since I did buy an external I will also backup to that from time to time.

As for 5 years - well the company I used to work for got sold and I had to take a big pay cut - so the machine has to last a while meaning that I needed to try and balance between buying the best I could while keeping the budget under control.   I know from experience how in a couple years you wish you had bought the faster cpu and graphics card. And with technology changing so quickly often times your motherboard will no longer support upgrading to a new cpu etc when you do have the money. Been there and done that. CPU sockets change, memory specs change, power supply connections to the mother board change etc and etc. Trying to upgrade after three to four years can be a pain.

I considered buying the off the shelf HP computer but as I have built my last 3 from the case and motherboard on up I just could not bring myself to buying internal parts that were low quality and so I ended up here at Digital Storm.

Edited by 17blue17 - 05 Jan 2011 at 3:01pm
17blue17 View Drop Down

Quote 17blue17 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 2:54pm
Also I did go with the 570 rather than the 580 and the 750 power supply. As I said I do listen

Edited by 17blue17 - 05 Jan 2011 at 2:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply