Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: *RESOLVED* Help from The Smart Guys®
    Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 12:41am
*RESOLVED* -- tldr: it was the PSU.

Hey DS Family... I have an issue that maybe one of you can help resolve.

I have a 7 year old DS machine that still runs fabulously for what I need. I have replaced/upgraded and made additions to as I have needed with never an problem because of the folks here on these forums. All of you that know so much more than I do and have always been willing to lend an ear with advice.

Currently, my GPU is a EVGA GTX GeForce 1070, I have 16Gb Ram, 4 storage devices and 3 monitors. (Yes, the 1070 can support 3 monitors with no issues under ideal circumstances.) The monitors I have are my main monitor (Large) at 32" LG Ultragear 2560x1440@120Hz, secondary (Medium) 24" Viewsonic 1920x1080@60Hz and on top is the Small 20"LG 1600x900@60hz. I gave all that information for a reason.

Over the last couple of weeks, periodically and usually in the middle of a game (either RDR2 or Path of Exile) all monitors will just shut off suddenly and without warning and I have to hard reset, or power off and on, to get them back.

First I thought it was thermal. So I deep cleaned everything made sure all the little dust bunnies were gone and there was no chance at overheating. Of all my temperature checking program the only oddity is that HWMonitor lists my mainboard @ 120°C. We know that's wrong because it's been like that since the beginning and it's that temp even on first start up in the morning. So, no worries there. All other temp programs list all temps nominal.

Still happens.

Checked Google.. was told to use Win+Shft+Ctrl+B to reset the graphics driver while running. No change.

Uploaded ALL current drivers system wide. No change.

Even tried a "WhoCrashed" report, but as there is no dump file there is no report.

Downloaded Intel's Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool® and had intel check the chip, CPU and GPU with no problems and still... no change.

Now, getting frustrated I circled back to the Thermal idea just to make certain. I ran the latest GPU Stress tests. Unigen's Heaven & Valley on the large monitor while concurrently running FurMark on the medium monitor with the small monitor displaying any of 4 different temp programs (Speccy, HWMonitor, RealTemp, and EVGA Precision X16 from NVidia).

I ran those two programs, at the same time, for half an hour. My GPU never broke 60°C with the fan curve I've set up. There was no shut down in anything I've done except when I'm in those two games. Now, if it were only RDR2 I could probably trace the problem to something new and current, but Path of Exile has been around for what, 5 or 6 years and the engine is older and the game demands much less from a machine.

So, now I'm completely flummoxed and can really think of nothing else I can do.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading all this.   

Edited by Snaike - 07 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:44am
Hi Snaike, too bad it happens to all three screens. You have done more than most would trying to track down the issue. Unless you have only 1 power brick doing all three, the one common hardware tying all 3 is the gpu. Is it getting reliable power. Did you check all cable connections to it and psu? Not likely that is the problem but....otherwise I'd keep going until it fails completely.

Not much help. Sorry.

Maybe connect a  monitor to the mobo video output. If the card shut down maybe it won't register with the mobo to shut down its own video output.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 5:15am
You've already done more than I could have. Best I can offer is perhaps you don't run all three mons during those games? That would certainly change the power demand, and it seems to be a transient power overdraw, doesn't it?

Have you checked

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator ?

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:48am
@hoserator -- you're correct in the only thing all monitors have in common is the connection to the GPU so that rules out a local issue. Plugging the small monitor into the mobo is something I've never considered and seems like a brilliant idea. If it is the GPU, the two other monitors should blank out and the mobo video connection should kick in. I'll give that a shot.

@Cretae -- I'll click through the link provided and see what I can dig up. I'll make a point to kill 1 or 2 of the monitors while gaming to see if that makes a difference.

Thank you, gentlemen, for your insights. It is really appreciated.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 1:40pm
Follow up...

Power Supply Calculator confirms enough headroom to run the entire system on existing power plant.

1 or 2 monitors off while gaming - crashed.

Small monitor plugged into mobo during crash never got a signal.

That's strikes 1 through 3. I'm open to any other troubleshooting or ideas.

Thanks again.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:17pm
You can try an unconventional trick and see if it works. Next time it happens, remove the gpu (remember the mobo disconnects its onboard graphics when it detects a gpu in the slot, I was hoping it would not if the gpu was out but...) and connect the monitor to the mobo video output. Maybe....

Do you have an old gpu you can install and see if the blackout still happens?
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Do you have an old gpu you can install and see if the blackout still happens?

Somewhere in this mess is the old PNY 770 that came with the machine. I'll have to dig around and see if I can find it. That may be the next course of action.

I do have other feelers out in other forums to see if I can find more information. I'm thinking it may be time for a new DS machine but COVID and the attendant economy slowdown have pretty much depleted any and all resources that I could have drawn on... maybe I'll send a note to Alex to see if he's finished my Envy Green Aventum that we talked about a few years ago... that one he was making me gratis for all my work here in the forums.   
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 8:06pm
Appears you've tried a lot of the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Originally posted by Snaike

1 or 2 monitors off while gaming - crashed

FYI, simply turning off the displays (i.e., via power button) doesn't absolutely stop the GPU from recognizing they are attached and sending a signal to them. If possible, disconnect the cable(s) from the graphics card or monitor(s) to test fewer. Related, try a single monitor one different ports. A long shot, I think, but still worth eliminating IMO.

Another step that came to mind:

This serious issue was a simple fix... Here's how! | JayzTwoCents (YouTube)

Display Driver Uninstaller
(Download links at bottom of page)

Originally posted by hoserator

You can try an unconventional trick and see if it works. Next time it happens, remove the gpu (remember the mobo disconnects its onboard graphics when it detects a gpu in the slot, I was hoping it would not if the gpu was out but...) and connect the monitor to the mobo video output. Maybe....

It can be forced (i.e., re-enabled). For example:

How to Enable Onboard VGA Output? | Asus Support

Edited by MrCheetah - 16 Nov 2021 at 8:13pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:32pm
@MrCheetah - Thank you for chiming in as well. So far I have tested the problem with 1 and 2 monitors completely disconnected and/or plugged into the mobo video connection. Nothing there made a difference.

I have watch the first video with Jayz and have followed his instructions for a DDU enhanced complete driver wipe and install. I have hopes that this may be the answer as he was describing some of the issues that I have recently encountered. Ah well, time will tell if it was successful.

and for @hoserator as well.. I am not in a position to be able to add/remove parts while the machine is in operation. It would take way too long for me to explain and it would just be a waste of space... But I will keep that in mind. Removing the 1070 during a crash and forcing the VGA seems kind of drastic but, hey, at this point who knows what we're going to end up trying. lol

Thank you very much.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 11:35pm
Also, one thing I have learned from this experience, other than to make absolute certain that "hibernate" and "sleep" are disabled is to disable "Fast Start Up" as well in power options for Win10. It, too, is now causing more problems than the issues it was trying to solve.

It's a good day when you can learn something new.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:27am
I'm out of my league here, but I want you to know I'm pulling for a quick solution for you. In the meantime, I hope it confines itself to just those two games. Best wishes!    
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:27am
.... Follow up

After I posted on Tuesday the machine crashed several times in games, YouTube vids and general browsing. Same issues.

So I spent most of Tuesday deep in the bowels of the machine's programming in places that under normal circumstances I would never go. Doing things that I can't explain because I was really in over my head and made some recommended changes.

Anyway, after that, I started another new(ish) game that I've played before (Valheim, HIGHLY recommended) to see if I could push the machine to crashing.

It has not. I am cautiously optimistic at this point. I haven't started the programs where this problem first manifested itself and I don't think I'm going to for a few days. I'm just tired of the frustration and helpless feeling when it does crash.

So, is the problem fixed? I don't know. Has it crashed in the last day or so? No.

Anyway, if there's more info I'll put it here.

Thanks for taking a look.

Edited by Snaike - 18 Nov 2021 at 12:09pm
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Snaike

YouTube vids and general browsing

This makes me think you should:

How to Test Your Computer’s RAM for Problems | How To Geek
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2021 at 11:26pm
I've run the memory test twice... (Windows Key+R, type mdsched.exe)... with no issues or problems detected. Thanks though.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 3:26pm
Update.... There is no joy in Mudville.®

After waiting a couple of days with zero crashes I went ahead and started PoE and within 10 minutes the system crashed.

Further digging on the EVGA sites directed me to a fantastic little monitoring/debugging/testing program called OCCT. I'm not sure if I've ever seen that one mentioned here but it was extremely thorough, even testing my GPU fan speed up to 2500rpm while the GPU stayed at a relatively cool 58°C.

But the stress tests all showed everything within nominal ranges with no issues. Ran it for a full hour pushing everything from the individual CPU cores to the over all power draw and nothing showed any signs of being defective.

Then the universe decided to kick me while I was down... as I ended the program and before I could even get to another program, the machine crashed.

I don't know what to do. I am out of ideas. I do, however, recommend to any one testing their machines to take a look at OCCT. It's quite the little workhorse.

More later if anything changes. No news means it is still borked.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 4:03pm
More follow up for those who are interested.

I've posted this issue on many forums (NVidia, Qtech, MSoft, etc etc) and lots of different Discords with no successful ideas or hints and as of this morning the problem persists. However....

I opened Steam and played Rocket League (online soccer with cars if you're not aware, very VERY cool game) to get a match in before the crash, but I was able to stay on for an hour. Thinking something must have changed I bounced over to Valheim (another "I can't recommend this game enough" type) and even with the gpu settings lowered to minimum still crashed within 5 minutes.

Looked at PoE... crash...
Looked at RDR2... crash...

Still able to facebook, youtube, general surfing all day with no issues until I try to play these games. So, analytical me says 'what do all of the crashing games have in common other than the GPU/machine they're played on' and the answer was Steam.

So, hesitantly, I turned Steam off... "Offline mod" and plugged in Valheim again.

I just played Valheim for over 4 hours with 0 crashes and the gpu settings turned to max.

I have yet to test the rest of the games... but I thought I would stop by here and ask aloud: WTF?!

I can play online (rocket league) with 5-7 other real people, but can only play the one player game offline without crashing?

This is very perplexing and I'm looking for other's thoughts... I'm very very confused.

Thanks for taking a look.
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:04pm
Interesting. I'm not a user of Steam; so, I don't have any additional insight.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:13pm
Are all the games causing you problems run through Steam?
If so, you might have a corrupt installation of Steam.
If it was just a game file validation thing, I don't think and have never heard of several games becoming corrupt at the same time. But..... might try validating game files on each game, IF they are through Steam. Just a thought.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

Are all the games causing you problems run through Steam?
If so, you might have a corrupt installation of Steam.
If it was just a game file validation thing, I don't think and have never heard of several games becoming corrupt at the same time. But..... might try validating game files on each game, IF they are through Steam. Just a thought.

Rocket League is through steam and verified and its working
Valhiem is through steam and verified and crashes
RDR2 is through steam and verified and crashes
Valhiem offline is working.

Yes, local file integrity is one of the first 'fixes' that I had tried with the steam games.

I am leaning toward a reinstall of Steam but I need to run some more tests. If I can play RDR2 and a few other problem children while "offline" and they continue to crash "online" then that will be the next project. (Can't play PoE 'offline'.)

Edited by Snaike - 23 Nov 2021 at 5:28pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Nov 2021 at 9:18pm
After being in Valheim for more than 8 hours "offline" (running while I was AFK just to check) it crashed, again.

This is too baffling.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 3:54am
Reinstall of Steam is a good idea.
I know you have searched and might have already found this, but here is a link to a good trouble shooting plan for YOUR issue with your Steam games.
https://e-methodstechnologies.com/fix-steam-games-keep-crashing/
Their last solution is to reinstall Steam. lol
Hope this helps, nothing more frustrating than trying to run down a problem like that. Good Luck!!
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:30am
https://e-methodstechnologies.com/fix-steam-games-keep-crashing/

Slithered in and fixed the link... kinda like a Snaike.   
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 4:37am
Thank you gentlemen. I'll take a look.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 7:44am
Thx Cretae. Darn Snaike, don't listen to me. I can't even put a proper link in here!!
Old Gamers Never Die!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2021 at 11:51am
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:19am
Hey, it's tricky.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 5:19am
For those following along... I did get a sentence of wisdom from the Nvidia GeForce Discord... one of the mods finally posted back and said that the latest drivers have been having issues with dual screens and I should roll back to the driver released in Sept.

So, that's what I've done, but it's 0500 here and I really need to get to bed before I can test it thoroughly. I was able to play an hour or so on Shadow of Mordor (Love that game!) with no issues, but we'll see later today.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 4:45am
Shadow of Mordor FTW!!!

All best wishes for the right fix.        
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:07pm
That's why I don't update drivers all the time. If they work with what I play and do, I leave them be. No auto update for me.

Hope that was all. It usually is.

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:47pm
Hopefully we will get an update soon that this was the fix necessary to fully resolve the problem long term.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 2:58pm
In further discussions with the great folks over in the NVidia tech support forums I was informed that my Win10 was over 2 years old (Oct '19) and that was the issue. So, before testing the driver rollback I went ahead and updated to the most current version of Win10 and the most current NVidia driver which I was assured would 'most probably' fix any problems that I was having.

It didn't. Within 5 minutes of Rocket League this morning BLANK, it crashed. (If you're not playing it you're missing out on their 'grid-iron limited time' games which are hilarious... football with cars!)

So, this morning I have rolled back the driver again, because as I said above I haven't had a chance to really test this part.

I am at the point now, I have realized, that should I encounter another crash it is most likely a hardware problem in either the GPU (75% chance) or PSU (24% chance) with the balance going to the dreaded "unknown".

I am losing hope as new components are not in my future due to circumstances beyond my control.

Cross your fingers and, if so inclined, say a little prayer.

Thanks for the help.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 5:09am

They're crossed.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 10:56am
I have my fingers and toes crossed for luck.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 10:58am
A question, do you still have your 770 GPU? Could you use it it see if the GPU is the problem?
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by Nomad1970

A question, do you still have your 770 GPU? Could you use it it see if the GPU is the problem?
I do not. The replacement was in Jan '17 (Documented for the forums on this thread). As much of a packrat and hoarder that I am, "she who must be obeyed" is not, therefore 7 year old GPUs that were replaced almost 5 years ago will not be saved.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>