FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Returning customer, feedback on this Velox?

Post Date: 2019-10-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Setitimer View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Returning customer, feedback on this Velox?
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:22pm
Hey folks.  I'm typing this on a Digital Storm Slade that I purchased in 2014.  It's still going strong with a few upgrades along the way, but I need to hand this machine down to my son and get myself a new rig.  So here goes:

1.  Budget - around 4K.  Already have all the accessories, just need the PC.
2.  Expectations - want to be able to run VR games and play everything on Ultra at 2560x1080 and eventually upgrading to 3840x1440.
3.  Usage - software development and work, gaming, etc.
4.  Special Needs - nothing crazy.  I have a lot of games so I need a big SSD for data, and I would prefer a quiet PC.  Would like to be able to upgrade later if needed, so probably want to over-spec the power supply and motherboard a bit.

I couldn't find too many details on this case, so will everything fit?  Where will the radiator go?  Is this generally a good case?

Here's what I am looking at:

Chassis
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 64GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 3:46pm
Welcome back. Awesome
That is a nice configuration and will serve you way into the future at 1440. The memory is a bit on the high side but software development takes some of it so...the gurus will be more reasoned in their opinions.

The Velox is large and comfortable to work with. It is a DS proprietary design and the window is on the right when facing the front. The mobo is upside down and the gpu is on top of the cpu. I have one and the rad was installed in the front with air flowing into the case. You can also order it installed on the top and the fans will blow the air out. If you want quiet, the Corsair ML fans are very quiet.

Enjoy.Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 08 Oct 2019 at 3:47pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:12pm
Welcome back Setitimer!

OK good solid build component choices on excellent Intel i7-9700K 8 core/8 thread CPU, top end Asus Maximus Z390 mobo, excellent Corsair Dominator RAM, good Corsair Gold efficiency PSU, Corsair AIO 280 mm cooler, both Samsung Drive 1 & 2, and excellent NVidia RTX 2080 Super GPU.   

Velox is a proprietary DS design mid-tower ATX case that mounts the motherboard upside down and puts the door on the right side.   There will be plenty of room in Velox, and as upside down mobo places CPU at the bottom I expect they will need to mount the Corsair AIO 280mm cooler on the front intake air position that is closest to the CPU.   I should mention learning from another recent forum post that one Velox build customer was told by DS Sales that their Velox case shipment is currently held up in US Customs and may delay Velox builds a week or two until that shipment arrives.   You could ask DS if the Velox shipment has arrived yet.   The Lumos case would also be a great roomy mid-tower ATX case choice if time is an issue for you.

As to running at Ultra using VR and 1440P using the RTX 2080 Super GPU... I think you will get great performance...but Ultra game settings will depend on the combination of specific game used, GPU and your displays resolution and refresh rates.   The very best GPU performance available is the top of the line NVidia RTX 2080 Ti for +$573 more, and for folks wanting the very best VR and 4k performance that is the go to video card choice as it has more processor cores and 11 GB VRAM compared with the 8 GB VRAM on the 2080 Super..

Suggestions....

1) Fully Overclock that excellent i7-9700K CPU to a Stage 2 Overclock for just +$99.   Intel designs the K and X Class processors to be fully Overclocked, and the i7-9700K is an easy Overclocking CPU.   Get the rest of the CPU performance you are already paying for...as you have chosen a Stage 2 rated Corsair AIO CPU cooler that can keep things cool.

2) Case Fan Upgrade.   The excellent Corsair LL Series RGB fans +$199 or the top of line Corsair ML Series RGB fans +$219 would be better CFM and Static Pressure performance choices and both have longer (2 yr and 5 yr) manufacturer warranties than the standard DS 1 yr parts coverage.   Both fan upgrades will include one Corsair Lighting Node Pro module.   You would be able to use Corsair iCue software to synch and control RGB colors and performance of all Corsair RGB components such as the AIO cooler, Dominator RGB RAM and any Corsair RGB keyboards or mouse.   The LL fans RGB lights are Dual Light Ring and far more interesting (endless lighting options) than the more simple hub lighted only ML fans. Both are very quiet and efficient case fans.

3) Don't forget the free internal RGB light string.

See what you think....
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:55am
Just a minor correction, the Velox is an E-ATX  case. Big%20Smile
(or at least you can configure with an E-ATX mobo without it being rejected, ergo....)

Edited by hoserator - 09 Oct 2019 at 5:25am
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 6:14am
Thanks both of you for the feedback.  I may go with a Lumos instead then, I really would prefer to have the radiator on top blowing out.  If I understand correctly, I would need to go with a Corsair H100i PRO which is 240mm instead of the H115 which is 280mm in order to do that?

Also, if I go with a Lumos and the Corsair LL Series fans, what number and size of fans would I be getting?

Edited by Setitimer - 09 Oct 2019 at 6:15am
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:20am
I go a Lumos with Cosair LL fans. I got 6 fans, three front, two top and one rear. I did not specifiy where to put the H100i and thy put it in the front. My GPU is a GTX 1080 ti and I have no problems with cooling at all and I can never hear the fans.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 10:33am
I have a Lumos and it’s a very cool case.

Yes if you require a top mount rad in Lumos it fits a 240mm, but you should I think consider that in front there’s room for a 280mm or a 360mm rad, and Corsair does make an AIO 360mm H150i....you could ask DS about getting one for the build....they are very flexible.   They can set up your build however you wish.

The number and size fans will be set by the rad fan size.   If you use the 240 mm or 360 mm rad all case and rad fans will be 120mm LL fans... and with the 280 mm all case and rad fans would be 140mm LL fans.    The top can mount two 120 mm or two 140 mm fans...the front can do up to three 120 mm or two 140 mm case fans.   They can do push pull fans on the rads if desired....just ask.

Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 10:08am
So just as an update... I decided to go with another Slade.  As much as I like the looks of the Lumos, I think I should stick with a system that is quiet and well filtered against dust.  The Antec P101 Silent case is even nicer than the Corsair Obsidian 550D my 2014 Slade is in, and I was able to get everything I wanted in it.

It just went into Stage 3 yesterday so the anticipation is getting to meExcited

Chassis
Chassis Model: Antec Performance Series P101 PRO

Core Components
Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K (4.9 GHz Turbo) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD (2TB Samsung 860 EVO)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i PRO - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2019 at 8:48pm
Glad you have the build going sir!    

As noise is your primary concern, I’m kinda surprised you did not upgrade to the best Corsair ML case fans...even in the closed Antec case.    All noise from a pc will be sourced from your case fans and GPU fans...no matter which case you use...   
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Oct 2019 at 1:56pm
I thought about it, but really the stock fans in my current Slade did very well for a long time.  The only noise issue I had with this machine were the little 40mm fans on the motherboard for the PCH and VRMs, and thankfully the new Asus boards don't have those. Even today the fan in the UPS next to my PC is louder than the PC itself, unless I'm playing a really demanding game.

Edited by Setitimer - 18 Oct 2019 at 1:57pm
Setitimer View Drop Down

Quote Setitimer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Nov 2019 at 5:22am
I just received the system yesterday evening, and today I am busy transferring my files from the old Slade to the new Slade.  This new machine is really nice, no issues at all.  As usual the assembly is top notch, everything is clean and tidy.  I'm glad I sprung for the white sleeved cables, they look really spiffy with the black and white interior of the case.  Performance is outstanding as expected.  And just like my previous Slade, it's cool and quiet.

Great job as usual DS.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Nov 2019 at 8:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply