FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Returning Customer has questions!

Post Date: 2017-12-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
piratesbooty View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Returning Customer has questions!
    Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 10:24pm
Budget:
~2500 give or take. No accessories or monitors needed.

Expectations:
High end but not cutting edge. Dual monitor 1080p set up.

Usage:
Higher end Gaming (PUBG, RE7, future titles)/lower end gaming (pixel indies, classics)/some Streaming to web.

Special Needs:
None in particular

I have a few year old DS system that I'm going to be donating to a friend and I'm looking to purchase a new one from you guys. I was looking at the Lumos with the i7, the basic pre config build under "Best":

Intel Core i7-8700K
GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
16GB DDR4 3000MHz

A few questions:

Is the pre config processor cooling fan/sink good enough to keep that i7 cool with a maxed out settings load on something like PUBG (1080p, no 4k for me)? And the noise level compared to the noise level of the GPU fan on such a load, would it be quite noticable? I worry about longevity of my parts and the temps they reach. My original DS system has water cooling for the CPU. Water cooling maintenance and upgrading CPUs around water cooling systems makes me nervous (though to upgrade to an i9 I'd have to get a new mobo for the 2066 socket if I'm not mistaken). So if possible I'd like to use fan cooling. I don't plan on OCing my new build. I'd also like to know if similarly the above mentioned load could be fan curved to good temps on a non OCed GPU (that GTX 1080) without any additional help from liquid cooling.

Is the GPU going to be EVGA or is it just what you guys can get for the cheapest at the time? I'd prefer EVGA if at all possible. Silly, I know, but that's what's in my current system and I'm used to EVGAs Precision XOC program for over/underclocking and fan control. On top of that, can it be requested that program come installed for system start up with a decent fan curve? I ask that partially because my father is wanting the same system and I want to make sure his parts last without him forgetting to boot XOC and just plain not understanding what to do with it.

Finally, does the 1080 have dual HDMI outs? My 970 had only one HDMI out and I had to rig a DVI to HDMI for one of my two monitors.

That's all the questions I have for now. I'm always stressed by large purchases and want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and that I'm taken care of. Also since my father will be getting the same rig, I want to make sure that it'll pretty much be plug and play without the potential of damaging hardware, malfunctioning hardware, BSoDs, or other hardware related crashes

My original system was and still is great, only problem was a faulty GPU that you guys customer service happily replaced.

Merry Christmas and thanks for your time! I'll try to answer any questions in a timely manner!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2017 at 11:18pm
If you go aio there is nothing to maintain, you just switch it out incase of issues.

Most of your noise comes from gpu fan because it is small.

For gaming you want the 8700k oced, in this case turbo boost has you covered. Can't tell you the fam noise but wuth performance comes noise, make peace with it or spend a thousand making it somewhat quiet under full load.

You can request evga, whichever you request check and see what connections it has.

Installing precision takes 2 minutes, do it yourself, for you and your father auto will do just fine.

Only time you should be worried about heat damaging /shortening life is with temps above 85c fir a period of time, otherwise you are wasting your time, if temps do go above 85c, then something is wrong anyway.

malfunctioning hardware, BSoDs, or other hardware related crashes cnman happen to anyone at anytime, that is just how hardware is, one gpu can last 6 years and the one right next to it can die in 3 months, even tho they both passed stress test.

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 2:10am
Thanks for your reply

Follow up:

In terms of output, does displayport to HDMI lose or damage output quality in anyway? Same question for DVI to HDMI? Thanks.

And my current system idles at 28-30 and goes 60-70 on load. However without XOCs fan curve, it can sit at 50-60 idle, never checked with load. That's just why I was concerned with having the program installed. I don't know the default curve on the GPU itself and was worried it wouldn't be high enough with those idle temps.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 2:21am
As long as temps are below 80c you are good. At 80c your cpu can run 24/7 for years, same with gpu, assuming nothing else goes wrong, heat won't be a factor below 80c.

Depending on which dvi you are going to, one thing is constant, you don't get sound in dvi.

Put your gpu on auto and then under load and watch auto work, of course manual is always best but auto will do the job, it just kicks in a little later(higher temp) .

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Dec 2017 at 2:24am

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 8:48am
I've almost settled on a build, if there truly is no maintenance required for the cpu liquid cooling system, I might just go with that again as opposed to just fan/sink.

More questions:

In this build it would just have the factory case fans being the 3 front fans? And are these stock fans RGB lit or plain black? For simple turbo boost without any crazy OCing, would this cooling system for the CPU more than enough? Finally, if only those 3 front fans are included with the case, would the only outtake fan would be from the CPU cooling system in the back (aka 3 front fans, and one back fan)?

Answers and suggestions welcome. Thanks so far!

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 9:20am
And I'm assuming 1151 socket isn't going obsolete anytime soon thanks to the 2066? Making sure that my system will last 3-4 years minimum with minor upgrades without having to change mobos and processors.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 1:50pm
Not sure what you mean, but intel goes by tick tock, which means cpu upgrade each year, so you can't upgrade cpu.

You can upgrade rest of the parts on any platform, maybe i didn't understand your question.

Which fans you get where is best worked out with DS, ask for what you want.

For aio i only recommend h115i since it has a better track record then the rest.

If the h115i is installed on top(where you want your cooler) the 3 fans suck air in the case, and the rear exhaust fan and 2 fans of h115i on top are sucking the air out, which is how you want it.

For cooing i only recommend h115i, or stage 2 air for moderate oc.

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 5:48pm
The Tick Tock model is beyond my understanding at the moment. I believe I understand that the Coffee Lake processors require Z370 mobos which have 1151 socket. Whereas the more recent i9's require an X299 mobo which has 2066 socket.

So then if I wanted to move up one day from the Coffee Lake i7 included in that build, it would require getting a whole new mobo for the i9? And this occurs every year in terms of Intel's processors?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm truly not the most intelligible person when it comes to processor and mobo architecture.

As far as aio, I had considered the h115i since it's been highly rated and made by corsair themselves (whereas the lower end options are aftermarkets built by DS in partnership with CoolIt?).

As far as working out fan/cooling options, I'm assuming there's an easy way to contact a DS rep about my build and get suggestions before dumping my order on them? The fan set up you mentioned with the cooler and it's exhaust fans on top, one exhaust in the back, and the 3 intake in the front sounds ideal (also, the only way to do it with the h115i it seems).

Thanks so much, you've been a huge help my friend! If I'm totally wrong or not getting something, let me know!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 6:07pm
You can only use cpu that have the socket that the mobo supports, a 1151 socket only fits 1151, can't do 1155 or 2066 and vise versa. Life span of a socket is normally with the line it comes out with.

Corsair doesn't make it's own ram/psu/coolers. The ds model is made by the same company that makes the models for corsair but parts like pump and etc could be different.

You can contact sales or during order in the notes is where you make your request, if there is an issue they will stop the build and contact you to see how you want to continue.

Ask as many questions as you have please if anything is not clear then feel free to say you didn't understand it, or you like more explanation

Edited by DST4ME - 25 Dec 2017 at 6:09pm

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 8:07pm
I thought the h115i option was Corsair built?:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Confused there.

As far as the CPU in the build, will it hold up in the gaming industry for a while? The i9 would be great, but overly expensive still for me and I always worry about problems and kinks that have to be worked out with the newest technology. For example, a game not being optimized properly for it. I just want to make sure that the CPU in the build won't wane too much in performance for newer games for the coming 2-3 years. 4 maybe. I'm not looking for 120+ fps on 4k resolution with maxed settings, just a solid 60 fps on 1080p with mostly max settings for a while.

That said, the future can't be predicted for sure but all in all just wondering if Coffee Lake is going to be so obsolete I'll see really sub par performance in a year or two.

Though wouldn't the GPU be the main component in that sort of matter? Only if the CPU bottlenecks it's performance? Could be completely off the mark there.

As always, thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2017 at 9:31pm
Like I said corsair doesn't make their own ram/psu/cooler, they are all rebrands.

Only hand full companies actually make ram or psu, then companies like corsair put their name on it, same with that cooler.

Wuth 8700k you are good for Atleast 4 years if not longer, my 6 core from 2009 seems great to me.

Your fps is gonba be more gpu based.

Every year new cpu-s are about 20% or better in performance, so in 2 years comparatively any today's cpu is obsolete but fir our use they will be fine.

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:16pm
So far so good.

Performance wise for gaming while streaming (game, streaming program w/ chat and discord up on other monitor is mostly what this PC will be doing), should I just go with 16gb of RAM, or boost that sucker up to 32gb. I'm assuming the difference for this would be negligible, but i could be wrong. Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Dec 2017 at 9:45pm
Ram is cheap, if you want to go 32gb go ahead.

Quote piratesbooty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:09pm
I'm back with a little more :P.

Contacted a sales rep and he told me in terms of fans, chassis comes with only the 3 front intake. So I would have the 3 intake and two exhaust on top from the aio cooler for the processor. Is it suggested I also add on a rear exhaust or is that pointless? I'm assuming DS would give me the option if asked, just never had a PC without rear exhaust and wasn't for sure if that was alright in terms of air flow.

Also they said I'd have to special order if I requested EVGA branded GPU, so if I take whatever they have in stock, is there a good program out there for GPU fan control? Or can Prescision or Afterburner work with any make? Wasn't for sure how that worked. Thanks!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 11:59pm
Rear fan is not necessary but if if you can add one more airflow is always welcomed.

It should be about 40$ extra to order evga for best customer service/ better pcb/better warranty i would order evga. But either of those apos should allow you to control the fan.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 2:23am
Be careful with fans. You want to keep some positive pressure in the case to avoid sucking dust everywhere. You must decide on footprint vs. noise. I would think that the smaller cases are a bit noisier. Less fans but more work for them. This is only IMO. Good luck.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
He will be fine hose this is not going to really change anything at the end he has 3 fans sucking and 3 blowing.

Edited by DST4ME - 03 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply