FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review / Advice

Post Date: 2019-07-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Tamshin View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tamshin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review / Advice
    Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 2:33pm
Budget:
Don't really care

Expectations:
I'm sure I'll love this new machine as much as I have loved my last DS purchase. I expect to upgrade components in the future as needed, but not for a few years.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing any excellent boosts, or that I did not overbuy where I don't need to.

Usage:
Plan to play Crowfall (if it ever comes out) on 4k screen.
Expect to purchase a VR system by year end.
Nothing else very strenuous.

Special Needs:
None

Saved Ticket #: 2472838

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) <br><strong></strong>
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler <br><strong></strong>
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system <br><strong></strong>
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:27pm
Welcome back. Awesome

The real configurator gurus will come by and give their blessings and suggestions. They will want to know at what resolution you plan to use the system for starters.
As a comment, I don't know about using air for that cpu. The new AIOs are excellent as compared to 10 years ago and that cpu is very overclockable.
Enjoy.
Big%20Smile

Tamshin View Drop Down

Quote Tamshin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:37pm
Thanks hoserator. I have never had liquid cooling, and I'm still reading about it to get a better understanding and comfort level. My only personal experience is a friend that had a liquid cooled system 7-8 years ago and had some leaks. I'm sure the technology has gotten a lot better. I wasn't sure about the optimal liquid cool system / overclocking vs price

I'll be running 3840 x 2160 on my 40" Samsung UHD-TV
Tamshin View Drop Down

Quote Tamshin Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 3:40pm
Wow! Just checked my first post here - the machine I am running now is over 9 years old, and steady as a rock.
All I've done is to add memory and a new graphics card - both a couple years ago.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Jul 2019 at 8:55pm
I would second what my friend Hose told you about liquid cooling that config...DEFINITELY you want to use the Corsair H115i 280 mm AIO sealed/no maintenance cooler and Overclock that excellent CPU.   That K Series processor was made by Intel to be Overclocked, otherwise you are not getting all the performance you are going to be paying for.    I have run Stage 1 and Stage 2 Overclocks on 3 of my 4 DS rigs and had no problems for years.   Stage 1 OC is Free...Stage 2 OC only costs $99. DS stress tests your rig extensively at full gaming load and has the Overclocking experience to set it up right at the best possible frequency for you.

As you are planning on using the rig for 4K on a large panel and for VR... I would recommend you use the new RTX 2080 Super GPU or the top of line RTX 2080 Ti for the very best results.   The Ti is still the pricey uber top dog in GPU's and has more VRAM (11gb vs 8gb) that VR can utilize.   
 Post Reply Post Reply