Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SemperFuzz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review and Size Help
    Posted: 31 May 2010 at 6:51pm
If i order this one will i have a radiator sticking out the back or will it all be contained inside?  Thanks

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Black OPS HailStorm Edition

Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)

Motherboard: EVGA X58 Classified 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset)  System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Extreme Edition (CMG6GX3M3A1600C7)

Power Supply: 1000W Corsair 
 Internal Digital Media Card Reader 
 Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (600GB Seagate Cheetah (15000 RPM) (16MB Cache) (SATA)
Hard Drive Set 2:  1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200
Optical Drive 1: Blu-Ray Writer/Reader (Burn Blu-Ray discs and play them)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 22x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)  Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB (Includes PhysX Technology) 
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi  Fatality Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 6: Sub-Zero LCS Dual Loop: CPU & Single Video Card & Chipset H20 Tube Color:Black Tubing with High-Performance Fluid (UV Lighting Reactive) Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect for H20 Tubes)

Enhancements: - No Thanks

Chassis Mods: - No Thanks

Noise Reduction: - No Thanks

Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz 

Boost Video Card: FREE: Yes, Overclock the video 
Boost Memory: - No Thanks,
Boost OS: - No Thanks,
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:17pm
I think that was will be contained inside.

the gpu oc is very little, I think like 4%

the ram won't make a big difference in games, nothing you will notice either way, so just go with DS ram, the parts are mainly the same.

if you want to be able to go sli 480 go with the 1250w psu.

but if that is what you want/need then looks good.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 May 2010 at 8:38pm
Sure you wouldn't rather go 160 Intel SSD instead? I'm sure you're looking at all that extra space, but I bet you'd be really hard pressed to find 150 gigs of stuff you really used all the time. Remember...no moving parts.
Coolermaster Storm Sniper
Intel Core i7 930 3.8GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
I can make my mind think... anything....
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 3:36pm
Well I have thought about the SSD route however i am an obessive compulsive disc clean up and defrag person and have read somewhere that your not supposed to do this with SSD drives?  What are the rules for SSD just leave it alone?  I might need Medication before i order one ahahah ahahaha
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by SemperFuzz

If i order this one will i have a radiator sticking out the back or will it all be contained inside?  Thanks

Since you have a single video card, we may not need to install a second large radiator in the back.

Just to make sure, you can indicate in the special notes that you would not like a radiator mounted in the back.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 4:26pm
ok thanks so when you build a Dual LC SLI with CPU and chipset you get the rear radiator as well.  The more i look at my desk set up i think i can make the bigun fit with the rear rad i was told it is 28" long front to back in the hailstorm case so decisions decisions. 

For DST4ME is dual GTX 480 LC the way to go?  I thought i read that 1 GTX 480 was more than enough i game at 1920x1080 on a 27" Samsung P2770HD play Bad Company BF2, LFD, and other shooters. Will i really see any difference with SLI?  I had SLI LC 7900 GTX'ers recently and now run a single GTX 260 and i don't really see any major differences in my eyes. Thanks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 5:22pm
Say hello to my leetle fre'n:

DRAGOONSEAL:
SSDs are Solid State Drives, think of them like a RAM version of a HDD, no moving parts and near instant access speed. A good SSD is anywhere from literately 35 to 100 times faster with small file read and writes than a conventional HDD, which are the kinds of files Windows and most programs deal with the most and where SSDs really shine. They are also at least twice as fast as HDDs with large files. They make Windows and most programs noticeably snappier and reduce waiting times, especially when multitasking.

Their price point is definitely a lot higher than standard HDDs though, so the preferred setup is to have Windows and your important or commonly used programs on a small fast SSD and have a large conventional HDD to store everything else, pictures, movies, music, games, unimportant programs, etc.

Do's and Don'ts vary depending on the SSD and operating system used. Windows 7 does most of the essential tweaks itself when you do a fresh install of it on a SSD, enables TRIM, disables defrag, superfetch and prefetch tweaks, and the like. You may want to optionally double check to make sure defrag is disabled on the SSD and disable search indexing on the SSD. Since SSDs have almost no access time and can search an entire full drive in a matter of a few seconds, you can save a little room and unneeded indexing activity by right clicking on the C drive and going to properties, and at the bottom of the general tab unchecking "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties."

Other than that you're pretty well golden with an Intel SSD, they are about the most reliable and self sufficient SSD currently available. They have something akin to garbage collecting algorithms and will keep themselves in peak performance with or without the assistance of TRIM, and they lose little to no write performance from a full drive.
For SSDs I would recommend the Intel line, best performance for the price and maintenance free, get either the 80GB or 160GB size. Don't think of them as downgrading to a very small drive, think of them as just adding that much space to what you would of had anyway. You just use the SSD for the OS and as many apps/games that you can fit on it, everything else goes onto a normal large 1TB+ HDD like music, movies, and less important apps and games.
As for SSD space, it isn't a concern. They won't have just 80GB of space, they'll have 1080GB of space. As long as you can fit the OS and maybe a few key applications on the SSD you're golden, everything else is just a bonus luxury. Anything you can't fit on the SSD just install on the 1TB HDD. Besides, you can fit plenty on 80GB (74.5GB formatted). I have Windows 7 Profession (~12GB), 14 full games (~55GB) and 35 other assorted applications (~10GB) only taking up a total of 76.9GB on Lilim's SSDs. Most programs don't take up much space, it will usually be the games hogging all the space, so just make sure to uninstall the ones you aren't playing anymore or install them on the 1TB HDD instead.

Intel SSDs can go 100% full with almost no write performance drop, and read performance is never affected. They set aside about 7% for themselves for things like wear leveling and nand block cleaning (garbage collection), so really you're never going above 93% full. Moreover, Intel SSDs make dynamic use of any remaining free space for the same purpose, the more space available the faster it can garbage collect and more it can shuffle things around for wear leveling, but even at 100% (93%) full they don't have a problem keeping up with normal desktop usage unless you really slam them with server database level 4kb writes. This is both G1 and G2 models, but the G2 models are not only a little more efficient at it but also have TRIM to help the process if you're under Windows 7. All in all this makes them a perfect choice for RAID arrays since they don't degrade in performance even without access to TRIM, but this is helpful for a single Intel SSD as well, you can use it, abuse it, and never have to worry about performance drops.

Secondly, 74.5GB is plenty of space for OS/apps, and likely plenty of games as well. For Pete's sake, I have 57GB worth of games sitting around on Lilim's array (14 full games), every one of my programs installed on it, and OS and all OS files including a 6GB page file, and I'm only using 77GB total. OS/apps don't amount to much space for most people. And if for some reason you did have a ton of apps and couldn't squeeze them all into 74.5GB then just keep the important ones on it and all the rest installed on the 1TB drive.

Currently most 128GB+ drives are all Indilinx drives. Make damn sure you don't get an Indilinx drive, they are horrible compared to Intel, SandForce, or RealSSD C300 SSDs. A 100% full Intel SSD has easily 10 times the 4kb read/write speeds of an Indilinx SSD at peak performance, and Indilinx drives are the ones that lose lots of performance when full.
To quote the world-reknowned Ron Popeil, "Set it, and forget it!" Smile

Edited by Cretae - 01 Jun 2010 at 5:25pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Dragoonseal View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Dragoonseal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Jun 2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by SemperFuzz

Well I have thought about the SSD route however i am an obessive compulsive disc clean up and defrag person and have read somewhere that your not supposed to do this with SSD drives?  What are the rules for SSD just leave it alone?  I might need Medication before i order one ahahah ahahaha

That 600GB 15000RPM 16MB Cache Seagate Cheetah is $569 from DS. If it performs anything like Western Digital's VelociRaptors, and I'm sure it does as conventional platter HDDs just do not get fast, then it is very literately only 10-20% faster than a $90 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache HDD. Here are some benchmarks for an example. Is $500 worth 10% faster performance and half the space? Holy God no man, complete waste of money. Stay far far away.

Enter SSDs. A good SSD will have easily 50 to 100 times the small file and access speeds, twice the large file sequential speeds, automatically cleans ("defrags") itself, is completely silent, and loses very little performance as the drive is filled (HDD performance dive bombs as it is filled). SSDs completely blow HDDs away in most regards, no contest, they are in completely different leagues. Their only downside is their price, at 2.5-3GB/$ we're talking over two and a half times more expensive than even that ridiculously priced Seagate Cheetah.

Luckily there is a simple yet elegant and cost effective solution. Get a smaller SSD for the things that benefit most from an SSD, OS/apps and maybe even some games, and a large normal HDD for everything else, games/music/movies/photos. Usually this means a 40GB, 80GB, or 160GB Intel SSD (top of the line performance for the price) and any old 1TB 7200RPM HDD for the rest. At DS this would come out to $265 for a 80GB Intel and $95 for the 1TB. If you want more space for games on the SSD and have money to burn you can get the 160GB Intel from DS for $497, but since games benefit very little from SSDs you're paying a huge premium for very little gain, and I wouldn't recommend that big of an SSD to many people.

If you're that worried about your obsessive compulsive drive cleaning habits, Intel has the Intel SSD Toolbox which has the Intel SSD Optimizer that you can freely run to clean the SSD. The Optimizer is basically an on-demand and more thorough version of the Intel SSD's automatic self cleaning. And of course you can still freely defrag the conventional HDD.
Lilim
Intel Core i7 920 @4.2GHz
HAF 932 - Dual SLI Nvidia GTX 480s
3x Intel X25-M G2 (80GB) SSD RAID0
R.I.P. Sinbad the cat (November 16, 1996 - April 18, 2011)
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 4:14am
Thanks a bunch I really appreciate the detailed info, i will be going with the Intel 160GB for my main OS and games.  WooooHooo
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 6:59am
When r u orderin???
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 12:40pm
Ya intel ssds will clean themselves out, other ssds have different ways of cleaning themselves.

as for dual 480, I believe for the games you named one 480 will do, but if you got the right psu, you can always just drop another gpu in, however if they give you a single rad for the gpu, then adding another gpu will be hard for that rad to deal with the temps.
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 3:03pm
ya the gtx 400's need alot of power
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 4:23pm
I trust it was clear to everyone that every word of my post except the first line and the last line was written by Dragoonseal in a series of posts I recalled, and cut and pasted. For the record.

SemperFuzz, you made a wise choice.  Evil%20Smile

Edited by Cretae - 02 Jun 2010 at 4:25pm
EVGA X58 LE
6GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ram
750W Corsair
1TB HDD
1x ATI RadeonHD 5870 1GB
Noctua Dual 120mm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:35pm
In an effort to save money i believe i will go air cooled this time as my last two builds have been LC.  Here is what i came up with based on all the excellent input from everyone.  I added the larger PS for future add of another GTX 480 for SLI.

I would like the new Corsair ATX 1200 versus the Galaxy though so hopefully it will be out soon.  Is the Galaxy as good as the corsair or should i wait for the Corsair?

Ticket # 411468

HAF-X (add extra top fan and GPU fan mount)
Intel SSD 160GB
Core i7 930 OC
6GB Corsair GT
1TB Storage Drive
Sound Blaster Titanium Fatality Champion w/front IO
1 GTX-480
Windows 7 Pro
Galaxy 1250 PSU or Corsair ATX 1200
dvd lightscribe
dvd read/writer
Internal Media Card Reader
Aerocool Touch 2000 (because it looks cool and fills up the front bays)

I was going to cut and paste system but the email hasn't arrived yet.  My goal is to keep this build at around 3k.
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Jun 2010 at 5:39pm

looking pretty good

if you want something to take up space in the front drives you may consider opting for a front mounted fan, a much more effective idea

you can copy/paste if you scroll down on the save/email screen
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 12:20am
So what about Zalman? Those look pretty good 2!
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 5:36am
Corsair Gold AX-1200 has been added to DS order List WooooHooo
Groupie
Groupie

Quote SemperFuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 5:51am
Dang i just boosted my build a 1000 by adding the Corsair AX Gold PS and the Sapphire Toxic 5970

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master HAF X
Processor: Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator GT with DHX Extreme Edition (CMT6GX3M3A1600C7)
Power Supply: 1200W Corsair Gold AX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black) (NOTE: Disables 2 Front USB Ports)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Extreme Performance) (Model: SSDSA2MH160G2R5)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Seagate/Hitachi/Western Digital (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (LightScribe Edition)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card: 1x ATI Radeon HD 5970 4GB (280-4GTSR Toxic)
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Fatality Champion (Includes Front I/O) (PCI-Express Slot Based)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 Extreme Performance (Does NOT fit on the regular EVGA X58 3X SLI)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: Touch V12XT Aerocool Temperature Display & Fan Controller
Boost Processor: FREE: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz
(Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Warranty: 3 Year Limited Warranty with Life-Time Customer Support

Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 6:28am
Sounds good!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 12:30am
don't like your mobo.

very bad idea with the 5970 IMO, it still a dual card and will still get beat by 2 x 5870/480, specially the 2Gb version of 5870.

Touch V12XT Aerocool is a waste of your money, it will not control your case fans.

you don't need that corsair psu, if the enermax is cheaper then go with that, but don't get me wrong I think its a great psu.

this ticket you had was much better 411468, just change the mobo to evga.

Edited by DST4ME - 04 Jun 2010 at 12:31am
Bullseye View Drop Down

Quote Bullseye Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 4:21am
I think he said the v12xt was for the looks
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 11:01pm
he did
but functionality > looks =  better air cooling