FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Review: new Lumos

Post Date: 2021-03-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Unir View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Review: new Lumos
    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 3:58pm
Hi all: I am a returning customer and, first things first, my new computer will need a name. The first computer I got from here about five years ago - called it The Beast. It was an i7-6700K oc'd to 4.0 Ghz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo, GTX 1080, 32 gigs 3000 Mhz ram. The case was awesome, I think it was called DS Apollo? It is still running great, and I will be giving it to a friend in desperate need of a computer who can't afford to spend much. I will post some photos of it below.

The new computer is due to arrive tomorrow or Friday, will post specs for it below and update with photos when it comes in (very excited).

There is a lot of talk about backlogs and communication, so I thought I would share my experience. Digital Storm has been great for me so far. I expected to have delays given everything going on right now with Covid, silicon shortages, GPU's being snatched up by crypto-miners, etc., so I was prepared for some production stages to possibly run longer than normal. This is my timeline:

1-5-21: Order placed, email confirmation received, Stage 1.
2-4-21: Stage 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4 emails all rec'd on same day (that's inventory assigned, initial setup, and final assembly begun).
2-26-21: Stage 5 email, stress testing.
3-1-21: Stage 6 email, quality assurance - into Stage 7 email, packaging later that day.
3-2-21: Order Shipped, email with tracking info rec'd.

I had three to four interactions with Digital Storm staff, all were good. One was by phone early on asking how bad the back order on parts was currently, told there was a back order yes - mainly on PSU's and graphics cards, but that they were catching up slowly but surely and making progress.

One or two interactions were later through the e-chat function on the website. They were able to look up my order and see what was going on, one confirmed delayed but wasn't sure for exactly which parts - the other confirmed waiting on PSU and the AIO cooler.

Another interaction was through direct email to and response from Alex, also about delay. He responded within 24 hours and was courteous, apologetic for any delay, and very up front about what they were working through.

Right as the new computer shipped a couple days ago, out of curiosity, through the e-chat website function I asked about which RTX 3080 I had gotten - turns out it was a Founder's Edition, which I am excited to receive. The staff member was able to send a photo of my actual rig showing the FE card in it, which was kind of amazing.

All my peripherals are already here (not from Digital Storm, just mentioning) - new mechanical keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset, and 4k 144hz 27" monitor. Looking forward to putting all of this together, fingers crossed nothing happened in transit. Paid for 2-day air, and it is right on time according to Fedex (yes I have been stalking it).

As I say, will update with photos of new rig, but this is my current Digital Storm computer from five years ago, The Beast. Still running like a champ - this is as boxed back then, being set up in my grubby needs-cleaning desk nook at the time, and then ablaze with RGB:

Edited by Unir - 06 Mar 2021 at 1:27pm
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 3:59pm
These are the specs for the new computer about to arrive - in terms of main parts i9-10850K, Z-490 mobo, P or A, depending on brand, RTX 3080, 850W PSU, 32g ram, NVM M.2 1TB boot drive, large data drive:
----------
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-10850K (5.2 GHz Turbo) (20-Thread) (10-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z490-P / MSI Z490-A Pro (Intel Z490 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (6TB Seagate / Toshiba)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.7GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by Unir - 03 Mar 2021 at 4:11pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:43am
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:30am
Arrived today, very excited. I have to go into the office for a while, so will have to set up everything later/tomorrow/weekend.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 1:21pm

Awesome
Excitedcan't wait to see it.

Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:11pm
Ok! Got it set up, and this thing is fast fast fast. Pics below. Put together a little table for it to get it up off the floor, unboxed it, pulled internal foam out, started hooking up cables - and we are off to the races. As I say, it is blazing fast and surprisingly quiet.

It was packaged very well, safe and secure, with no problems. It posted immediately once hooked up - had to fiddle with iCue and adjust the lights, they were set on a flashy rainbow setting. Set to a cool blue color, though I probably need to turn the brightness down a little still. Right now I am going through all the re-install of Adobe products, apps I used, etc.

I got it for gaming and YouTube content creation, and it is perfect for what I need. 4k gaming is officially a thing now. This product exceeds expectations, for sure. Thank you Digital Storm!

The pictures may not show it, but this all glass case is gorgeous.

Edited by Unir - 06 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:15pm
Unboxed, on little table.

We have liftoff!

Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:18pm
Here is what my setup looks like at night, and during the day with the blinds down because the sun is super bright in the morning. Loving this rig!

GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 1:21pm
Enjoy your new rig!!!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 4:16am
Unir, your vista at night is unfair!

Congrats, and... wow.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:30am
Nice! nice rig, nice set-up and nice view...

Guessing 10th floor? Dunno the city, but that's an excellent view.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 10:50am
Very very nice. Awesome
Oh, and BTW so is the Lumos.Strong
Big%20Smile

Edited by hoserator - 07 Mar 2021 at 10:51am
Slick_the_Bandit View Drop Down

Quote Slick_the_Bandit Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Unir

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

We ordered around the same time, though I'm still on stage 4. I'm assuming my stage 3 liquid cooling might have something to do with it.

Congrats on getting your build.
Stage 1: 1/8/21 | Stage 2: 2/23/21 | Stage 3: 2/25/21 | Stage 4: 2/26/2021 | Stage 5: 3/9/2021 | Stage 6: 3/9/2021 | Stage 7: 3/10/2021 | Shipped: 3/10/2021 | Arrived: 3/11/2021
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:05pm
Excellent photos!
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Nice! nice rig, nice set-up and nice view...

Guessing 10th floor? Dunno the city, but that's an excellent view.

Thanks everyone! It's working like a charm. Got OBS and my Adobe stuff installed, MS Office, etc., have been fiddling with HDR settings (Windows 10 implementation of that is still messy).

It was Nashville, 17th floor. Enjoying the rig quite a bit!
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Slick_the_Bandit

We ordered around the same time, though I'm still on stage 4. I'm assuming my stage 3 liquid cooling might have something to do with it.

Congrats on getting your build.

Thanks - I bet so. Stage 2 is an AIO cooler. If Stage 3 is tubes and such to be done by hand, I would guess that could take longer.
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm

Hi all: I am a returning customer and, first things first, my new computer will need a name. The first computer I got from here about five years ago - called it The Beast. It was an i7-6700K oc'd to 4.0 Ghz, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming mobo, GTX 1080, 32 gigs 3000 Mhz ram. The case was awesome, I think it was called DS Apollo? It is still running great, and I will be giving it to a friend in desperate need of a computer who can't afford to spend much. I will post some photos of it below.

The new computer is due to arrive tomorrow or Friday, will post specs for it below and update with photos when it comes in (very excited).

There is a lot of talk about backlogs and communication, so I thought I would share my experience. Digital Storm has been great for me so far. I expected to have delays given everything going on right now with Covid, silicon shortages, GPU's being snatched up by crypto-miners, etc., so I was prepared for some production stages to possibly run longer than normal. This is my timeline:

1-5-21: Order placed, email confirmation received, Stage 1.
2-4-21: Stage 2, Stage 3, and Stage 4 emails all rec'd on same day (that's inventory assigned, initial setup, and final assembly begun).
2-26-21: Stage 5 email, stress testing.
3-1-21: Stage 6 email, quality assurance - into Stage 7 email, packaging later that day.
3-2-21: Order Shipped, email with tracking info rec'd.

I had three to four interactions with Digital Storm staff, all were good. One was by phone early on asking how bad the back order on parts was currently, told there was a back order yes - mainly on PSU's and graphics cards, but that they were catching up slowly but surely and making progress.

One or two interactions were later through the e-chat function on the website. They were able to look up my order and see what was going on, one confirmed delayed but wasn't sure for exactly which parts - the other confirmed waiting on PSU and the AIO cooler.

Another interaction was through direct email to and response from Alex, also about delay. He responded within 24 hours and was courteous, apologetic for any delay, and very up front about what they were working through.

Right as the new computer shipped a couple days ago, out of curiosity, through the e-chat website function I asked about which RTX 3080 I had gotten - turns out it was a Founder's Edition, which I am excited to receive. The staff member was able to send a photo of my actual rig showing the FE card in it, which was kind of amazing.

All my peripherals are already here (not from Digital Storm, just mentioning) - new mechanical keyboard, gaming mouse, gaming headset, and 4k 144hz 27" monitor. Looking forward to putting all of this together, fingers crossed nothing happened in transit. Paid for 2-day air, and it is right on time according to Fedex (yes I have been stalking it).

As I say, will update with photos of new rig, but this is my current Digital Storm computer from five years ago, The Beast. Still running like a champ - this is as boxed back then, being set up in my grubby needs-cleaning desk nook at the time, and then ablaze with RGB:

The PC looks awesome! I was just wondering though. I ordered a Lumos and mine never came with the two top fans. Does it only come with top fans if you ordered the RGB fans? I've noticed some people with it and some without so I'm not sure what's the deal about it.

Also, I know it's very minor but they did not install the DS wallpaper on like yours. I'm kinda sad they never paid attention to detail with it but not complaining at all with my performances thus far XD. You're also very lucky to have been assigned a Nvidia FE. I got stuck with a PNY 3080, but then again, no complaints. It does it's job great. I hope you enjoy your new PC :)

Edited by GreenTeaRex - 09 Mar 2021 at 7:43pm
Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by GreenTeaRex

The PC looks awesome! I was just wondering though. I ordered a Lumos and mine never came with the two top fans. Does it only come with top fans if you ordered the RGB fans? I've noticed some people with it and some without so I'm not sure what's the deal about it.
Also, I know it's very minor but they did not install the DS wallpaper on like yours. I'm kinda sad they never paid attention to detail with it but not complaining at all with my performances thus far XD. You're also very lucky to have been assigned a Nvidia FE. I got stuck with a PNY 3080, but then again, no complaints. It does it's job great. I hope you enjoy your new PC :)

Thanks - I hope you're enjoying your new rig, too! I'm not sure you got "stuck" with a PNY 3080 - any 3080 is really fast from what I've seen of the various AIB reviews. Only one or two brands are on the clunker side, and PNY isn't one of them.

I don't know about the standard fan arrangement in the Lumos, whether top-mounted fans are normally included. In my build selection I chose this: "Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)" just to be on the safe side.

My first DS computer came with the wallpaper already in place on first boot. This one did not, but I remembered the wallpapers were here on the site somewhere and did a little digging around.

You can get the one I have and several others on the DS website here: https://www.digitalstorm.com/download-logo-wallpapers.asp

Edited by Unir - 09 Mar 2021 at 10:08pm
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:51am

https://www.digitalstorm.com/download-logo-wallpapers.asp

Unir beat me to it....
GreenTeaRex View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GreenTeaRex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 12:04am

Originally posted by GreenTeaRex

Thanks - I hope you're enjoying your new rig, too! I'm not sure you got "stuck" with a PNY 3080 - any 3080 is really fast from what I've seen of the various AIB reviews. Only one or two brands are on the clunker side, and PNY isn't one of them.

I don't know about the standard fan arrangement in the Lumos, whether top-mounted fans are normally included. In my build selection I chose this: "Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)" just to be on the safe side.

My first DS computer came with the wallpaper already in place on first boot. This one did not, but I remembered the wallpapers were here on the site somewhere and did a little digging around.

You can get the one I have and several others on the DS website here: https://www.digitalstorm.com/download-logo-wallpapers.asp

That's true. A 3080 is a 3080 so I can't complain about it, especially with how expensive they are these days.

Ohh okay. I've seen people with them on boot so I was kind of bummed that I never started my first boot to the awesome DS wallpaper XD But really though, it's no big deal :P.
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:28am
I don't really follow GPUs so am curious what the clunkers are. Thanks!
zeromatics View Drop Down

Quote zeromatics Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 7:23pm
Hello everyone,

I just ordered a new lumos as well. I am past ten business days and I'm still in stage 1. I reached out and received an email pushing back my order two weeks due to covid and demand. after reading the multiple complains on BBB I am concerned that they will continue to push it back for months. Furthermore I wish this would have been informed to be without me having to email them. Has anyone ordered a Lumos recently? what were your ship times?
ealderson View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ealderson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 7:37pm
I wouldn't worry...stage 1 was by far the longest for me. A few of us have ordered Lumoses (Lumosi?) recently and a couple of us received them this week. Here were my dates:

Order - 1/23
Stage 1 - 1/25
Stage 2 - 2/24
Stage 3 - 2/25
Stage 4 - 3/5
Stage 5 - 3/8
Stage 6 - 3/9
Stage 7 - 3/9
Shipped - 3/9

Edited by ealderson - 17 Mar 2021 at 7:37pm
Oldpcgamer View Drop Down

Quote Oldpcgamer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 8:41am
I have but one name to submit for your new rig

Stormbreaker
Been playing games since Pong
carefulpunch View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote carefulpunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 1:31pm
Wow! The view though.
carefulpunch
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 3:52am
I KNOW! Right?

Unir View Drop Down

Quote Unir Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Oldpcgamer

I have but one name to submit for your new rig

Stormbreaker

I'll take it! Officially naming it Stormbreaker now.

Update as of April 19, 2021 - still running well, still monster fast, no problems.    

Gaming in 4k w/ ray-tracing on in various games with 100-120+ fps while OBS recording at 1440p (OBS got twitchy trying to record in 4k for some reason, probably need to fiddle with it some more). Adobe AE notably smoother and more fluid, video render times quicker. Having hardware encoding on with that 3080 makes a big difference in working in the preview panel and rendering.

Productivity tasks not a problem at all, but no surprise there - this is a lot of computer for just productivity work.

That glass case with the lighting inside is just gorgeous. Consistently gets many oooh's and aaah's from people when they see it.

I could not be happier with this purchase. Slight delay in production, but definitely worth it.

Edited by Unir - 19 Apr 2021 at 5:27am
tbcmahar View Drop Down

Quote tbcmahar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 4:14pm
How lucky to get a founders!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 8:23pm
tbcmahar,

I thought that the Silicon Gods had blessed me when I got the surprise of scoring an EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB!

I just got my new Digital Storm beast last week to replace an excellent 12 year old Digital Storm system that was still playing games pretty good.

I need to write up my own review on my new one someday. Unir's review with all the pictures and details was interesting.

I have spent the last week or so just running benchmarks and playing games maxed out!

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 4:13am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Dec 2021 at 11:16am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 1:30am

Chilling
 Post Reply Post Reply