FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RFC: Linux And Windows Multi-Boot PC

Post Date: 2014-03-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Theokritos View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RFC: Linux And Windows Multi-Boot PC
    Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 9:33am
I wish to migrate from an early 2009 MacBook Pro (17" Display), running OS X (primary partition) and Window 7 Ultimate (Boot Camp partition) to a PC running Linux, Windows, and other Unix like OS. I have been looking at the Slade series but when I try to confirm Linux support for the individual hardware I 'm coming up with mixed results.

01. Budget: $4,000.00 USD more or less (I can stretch a bit for the hardware that supports all of my goals, but I am very ambivalent about spending even $2,000.00 USD for a Windows only machine.)

02. Expectations: A quiet, multi-boot, dual monitor, entertainment system, suitable for high end MMORPGs as well as older games. Able to play music, TV shows, and movies from sources like iTunes, CDs, DVD, but not anything from Blue-Ray. Suitable for some basic audio and video recording and editing but not at a professional level. Must support Linux (primary), Windows (entertainment), and Steam OS (experimental). May run some other Unix like OS in a virtual machine.

03. Usage: The Linux partition will be home for generic office, educational, and possibly some software development.

The Windows partition will be for high end MMORPGs such as The Secret World and the Elder Scrolls Online. Older MMORPGs such as EVE Online, The Lord of the Rings Online, and World of Warcraft. Variety of stand alone games ranging from older games to new releases: 7th Guest, Myst, BioShock series, Elder Scrolls series, Fallout series, Portal, Sid Myers Civilization V.

Recording and editing podcasts. Recording game play and creating video tutorials. Minor photo editing.

Playing music, TV shows, and movies from iTunes, CDs, and DVDs.

The Steam OS partition will be for testing the OS and Linux ports of games targeted for Steam OS

Other partitions will be ad hoc testing of other Unix like OS and their applications.

04. Special Needs: (1) Solid Linux hardware support. (2) Quiet, very, very quiet. (3) Support for large internal and external HDDs. (4) Hardware VM support for software VM systems such as Virtual Box. (5) One SSD to support all of the OS and a larger SSD to support all of the larger high end MMORPG game clients.

* I am not committed to any particular Linux release so I am fairly flexible on Linux distributions supported.

** I understand that Steam OS is still experimental, and I hope to help with testing the OS and any games intended to run under Steam OS.

*** I already have a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate, which allows me to move it to a new machine so I'd prefer to avoid buying an OEM version of Windows.

Here is one attempt at building a machine that meets most of the above. It needs a second display but most everything else is configured. More than a bit over budget and not certain about full hardware Linux support.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compload550d.asp?id=932392

Edited 2014-03-06
I tweaked the configuration a bit.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compload550d.asp?id=932855

Edited by Theokritos - 06 Mar 2014 at 8:06am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 11:05am
I did a quick search and various Asus motherboards, like the z87 Sabertooth, Gryphon, etc do have Linux support.   Searching Geforce for the gtx 760, for just an example, found Linux drivers for it.     The i7-4770k cpu had mixed results. 

I know nothing of multi boot so maybe others can help.

I would call or email DS for a definitive answer on the hardware.  I'm sure they have the best info.
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2014 at 5:19pm
AMD maybe your best bet for Video. I hate saying that, but I believe they have worked with the open source community for a while on open source drivers. Nvidia has only recently started working with the open source community in support of open source drivers. Though, project Nouveau for drivers, that Nvidia has recently announced they will be supporting.

I would check to make sure that linux drivers are available for all motherboard devices (i.e. audio, network, ...) from the motherboard manufacturer. If not, checking with the community for the linux flavor you are interested in having installed.

Or, contact DS directly with either chat, email or telephone to ask if they can get the system you want working on the Linux flavor you want.

Edited by danjw1 - 05 Mar 2014 at 5:24pm

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 8:40am
Thank you for you comments. I will contact both Technical Support and Sales.

I modified the configuration, dropping the sound card, keyboard, and mouse. I also tweaked some other components to better fit my budget.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2014 at 7:41pm
Can anyone offer a suitable replacement for the ASUS Sabertooth X79 mother board in this build?

Based on the more current posts that I can find on the internet, ASUS appears to be rather wishy-washy on Linux support. If Linux works great, if not, too bad.  vOv

Everything else on the build appears to be fine in a Linux environment so if there is a suitable mother board replacement, I'm ready to go.

P.S. My question to the DS Sales department has already been answered. I have yet to hear back from DS Technical Support on my Linux questions. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will have good news.

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2014 at 7:22pm
Would the ASRock Extreme9 motherboard ...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme9/

... be a suitable replacement for the ASUS Sabertooth X79 in the following config?

Why?

ASUS does not appear to support Linux reliably. ASRock may not have great Linux  support, but it appears to be superior to ASUS.

Edited by Theokritos - 10 Mar 2014 at 8:31am
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 7:19am
Can't speak of the Linux support, but the Asrock Ext9 is an ATX size mobo , the same as the Sabertooth.   Should fit just fine.   The Asrock actually has more features, like more sata 6, I believe,   but the Sabertooth does have the longer warranty.  5 years for Sabertooth vs 3 years for Asrock. 

Edited by bprat22 - 10 Mar 2014 at 7:24am

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 8:48am
Thank you for your observations. I appreciate your help.

The shorter Warranty is certainly a consideration. I am rather fortunate and have yet to have a motherboard fail on me before I out grow the PC.

Determining Linux support can be rather challenging. I search the vendor's website looking for statements of support. Failing to find any, I then search the Tech Support area for any signs of Linux support and the dates the support occured.

With ASUS I found evidence of Linux support dated 2005 but their more recent statements are that they support Windows only.

When I checked ASRock I found active and detailed Linux support in the Tech Support tickets dated from 2013. I did not find a lot of Linux support tickets so it is not conclusive evidence of a firm commitment to Linux support. Just evidence of a greater willingness to support customers with Linux OS issues than other motherboard vendors that I have researched.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 9:25am
Yeah, you probably searched the same areas i did, Google, etc., and I did find no official support with Asus mobos but plenty have done it with no problem.  

Probably good to go where you know you'll get support, just in case.  Big%20Smile
danjw1 View Drop Down

Quote danjw1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 11:38am
Another thought, ASUS does support some flavors of Linux on their workstation boards. So, you might want to take a look at those options.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87WS/#specifications
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9D_WS/#specifications

BTW, It is nice to see another LOTRO player here, I play on Landroval!

Edited by danjw1 - 10 Mar 2014 at 11:43am

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2014 at 2:31pm
I wish to thank everyone who has taken their time to share their knowledge and expertise in helping me reach my configuration goals. Here is the configuration that I am basing my order upon.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/compload550d.asp?id=934189

I am replacing the ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard with an ASRock X79 Extreme9. The second SSD is going to be 240GB and will house the games while the 120GB SSD will house the various OSes and swap files. Finally, I am going for two ASUS VG248QE Displays for the dual monitors.

Now I just have to wait for the processing of the order.

Thanks again.  *\o/*

2014-03-17 - I found a nice video, Newegg TV: ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 Intel X79 ATX Intel Motherboard Overview, for those who are interested in this special order item.

Edited by Theokritos - 17 Mar 2014 at 2:34pm

Quote Theokritos Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2014 at 10:07am
Originally posted by danjw1

BTW, It is nice to see another LOTRO player here, I play on Landroval!

While I have not been very active of late, when I play it is on the Landroval (RP recommended) server. I run with a trans-MMO, role play lite guild by the name of Shadow Company.

My present focus is a new MMORPG, the Elder Scrolls Online. Shadow Company is joining forces with another guild that holds similar values, Vanquish.
Happy adventures!

Edited by Theokritos - 12 Mar 2014 at 10:09am
 Post Reply Post Reply