FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rig for gaming, HD vid editing and 3d work

Post Date: 2011-02-22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Xyberpunk View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Xyberpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Rig for gaming, HD vid editing and 3d work
    Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 3:45pm
Here is my current configuration: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/comploadsaved.asp?id=488849%20

SO great ones of Digital storm, I have some simple questions.
As my subject line indicated, I intend on using for gaming (obviously) HD video editing and 3d modeling/rendering. I've had low end laptops for years now, even now I'm typing this on my netbook, and I decided it was time for a serious upgrade. An upgrade that would last a looong time hopefully.
So I need my PC to do the following:
-Run games like Mass effect 2, fallout 3 and any and all of Valve's games. Preferably at HD resolution and high graphics settings.
-Run the adobe creative suit, I.E. Photoshop, Aftereffects, premiere etc. That includes editing HD video.
-Run 3d programs well, such as Cinema 4d and zbrush. I would be modeling and maybe even animating a bit.

Now onto my questions. The first and simplest, Is my configuration up to scratch? Would it actually be able to preform the way I want it to?

Second, I consider myself relatively tech savvy. But my knowledge of the actual mechanics of computer is low. Part of my idea about getting this computer, is that it would last me quite a long time and I could continue to upgrade it over the next few years. I plan on installing a bluray reader and writer sometime down the line, as well as additional harddrives. MAYBE even a GPU upgrade of some kind. So my question is, how difficult is it to do those upgrades yourself? Is it something somebody like me(who has never worked on the interior components of a computer before) do without much struggle?

Third and final, the noctua cooler I picked should keep my system cool enough, yeah?

P.S. Forgot to mention, but the price it's at right now is already pushing my financial limits. Been saving for quite awhile and I still have to save my paychecks for the next 2-3 weeks before I can afford this. So no $3,000 suggestions please XD
"I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less"
-Eddie Izzard
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:23pm
the upgrades you mentioned are so easy you won't belive it.

adding hdds is basically, screwing 4 screws to secure the hdd to the bay,( some are screw-less and even easier), then you add the data cable to mobo's port and hdd, and then connect power cable to the hdd, you are done, go to windows and ask windows to partition and format drive, adding media drives is the same, but you can skip the partitioning part, as soon as you boot, windows recognizes it, installs drivers for it, and you are good to go.

adding gpu is even easier than that.

adding/changing ram/hdd/gpu are some of the easiest things to do.

specially for somebody like you, its gonna be one of those things after you do, you will wonder what you were ever worried about.

now before I can tell you what you need, I need to know what res you gonna game at, this depends on your monitor's native res.

3d editing will need a lot of ram, do you use them now, do you know how much you need first hand?

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Feb 2011 at 4:23pm
Xyberpunk View Drop Down

Quote Xyberpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:32pm
Great to hear :D
Adding a second GPU at some point would be equally easy?

Well my current monitor is 1440 x 900.. I'll be sticking with this one for awhile but in the next several months I hope to get a 1080p display. If possible I'd like to play the games at those max resolutions.

And yeah, I actually use Cinema 4d on this sad little netbook XD It's a painful process. Do you think 6 gigs of ram won't suffice?
-Eddie Izzard
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

adding gpu is even easier than that.

adding/changing ram/hdd/gpu are some of the easiest things to do.

specially for somebody like you, its gonna be one of those things after you do, you will wonder what you were ever worried about.

OK lets see, the p67 is more powerful then x58.

40GB ssd is not enough, win7 takes 20GB itself, also smaller ssds have lower speeds.

this system can take more ram if needed, and another gpu.

the black caviar is fast as heck.

Here you go Ticket# 488875 --- $2595 (To see this build click here)

Copy of Specifications:
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (Features USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: X25-M MLC Edition) (Extreme Performance)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (64MB Cache) (Model: Black Edition WD1002FAEX)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: EVGA 2 Port SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Host Card (PCI-E Slot)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: Noctua NH-U12P SE Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Red)
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: FREE: Overclock the processor between 3.6GHz to 3.9GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Install/Test Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Ask DS specifically for this fan to be added to the top, so you endup with 4 x 200mm fans:

haf 200mm non led fan

560 is more then you need now, when you go to 1900 x 1200 it will server you well, if you see you need more gpu power, this pc is ready for you to just put the gpu in the pci lane, adn connect power connectors that are there already.

any of those things you need help with, come here and we will help you.

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Feb 2011 at 4:48pm
Xyberpunk View Drop Down

Quote Xyberpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 5:49pm
YOU ARE THE MAN
I LOVE THIS SITE

Well I won't pretend the additional $250 didn't hurt, but after really looking at that config I realized it is 4x better than mine :D
Thank you so much

it'll be a few weeks now before I can save up enough for this, but when I do buy it I will definitely use the configuration you just gave me.
-Eddie Izzard
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 5:56pm
Well listin that extra $250 wend toward a 160GB for max speed and room for windows/apps/games and your editing, the ssd has fast speeds and when you are ready to store those files on the storage drive, the 1TB black caviar is there with its fast transfer speeds to grab and store it/them for you, which btw is another part of that $250 the black caviar, then you also got a mobo that can do sli, a bigger brand name psu with its own 5 year warranty, 2 more GB of ram, and a more powerful cpu, so you see you kinda got a great deal to get all of that for a difference of $250, as a customer, thats a great deal IMO.

now it sounds like you are not aware of the SB mobo issue, so read about it here

it will be fixed in march/april, so you got time.

keep in mind the discount they have now may not be there later, so we might need to reconfig when you comeback. book mark this thread tho, we can always come back to this, it has all the specs in my post.

My pleasure and good luck

Edited by DST4ME - 22 Feb 2011 at 5:57pm
 Post Reply Post Reply