FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rig for Maya, Motionbuilder, Daz Studio

Post Date: 2011-11-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
VirtualMedia View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Rig for Maya, Motionbuilder, Daz Studio
    Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 2:16am
Good Day,

In need of a rig for 3D Rendering. Running Maya and Motionbuilder 2012 and Daz Studio 4 Pro. As well as Adobe CS5 Products.

Budget is Hovering around $4000

A couple questions in particular.

1. Will an SSD be advisable for running these apps along with the O.S? Will it help with rendering writes?

Do to limited disk size I would transfer final renders over to HHD and Delete all preview renders to keep SSD space available.

2. If this would work what size SSD would be recommended?

3. Would updating the NVIDIA PNY Quadro 2000 1GB to the  NVIDIA PNY Quadro 4000 be worth the extra $429?

4. How much Ram without wasting money on Win 7 Pro?

Thanks for any help getting the best 3D Rendering Box for a mid level budget.

VM
The Virtual Broadcasting Network
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 2:21am
1. it should since they have faster speeds.

2. we normally recommend 120GB to 160GB but its for gaming, how much room do you need for rendering your work?

3. I'm not sure to be honest as I'm not familiar with the amount of difference that will make in performance.

4. for your work I imagine you need around 16GB, for that you have to go win 7 pro cause home has a total of 16GB limit including gpu ram.

unfortunately I don't use those apps so I'm not sure what they need, I know 3D work needs lot of ram.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2011 at 2:22am

Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
DST4ME,

Thanks for the quick response. Did some research on Google regarding the SSD's and just read the continuous read and writes would eventually bring the SSD to a crawl.

A number of posts on some 3D GFX sites recommended a 10000 RPM SATA Raptor hard drive in RaidO for extended and reliable reads and writes.

Again thanks for the reply, I'm guessing for ultra fast boot and load times SSD's are the way to go. But non-stop reading and writing maybe not.

Edited by VirtualMedia - 26 Nov 2011 at 10:29am
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 5:49pm
Thats not entirely true, with ssds like intel with trim you should be fine, you can also just secure erase a ssd and bring it back to its first day performance, you can raid 20 raptors, you still won't get some of the speeds of ssd.

but its upto you.

all ssds are not the same and there is lot of old/misinfo about ssds.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2011 at 5:49pm

Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Thats not entirely true, with ssds like intel with trim you should be fine, you can also just secure erase a ssd and bring it back to its first day performance, you can raid 20 raptors, you still won't get some of the speeds of ssd.

Thanks again DST4ME, I already feel more confident I'm at the right place for a custom PC.

I have heard overwhelmingly positive reviews of SSD's and the goal is to get this rig running as fast and efficiently as possible without remorgaging the home Big%20Smile

I do have a considerable amount of models and would want to install Maya, MotionBuilder Daz Studio, CS5 - Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects, Soundbooth, Win 7 Pro and several less data intensive apps. So I guess a little math is required.

5. Can I secure erase just data and leave applications intact?

6. Would RaidO be necessary, required or even possible for performance improvements with SSD's?

7. Would adding an HDD for offloading Final renders, photos and videos, while keeping SSD's content to bare minimum be a logical process?

8. You say Intel with trim would be the SSD of choice do you have a model in mind?

Thanks again, You're input is invaluable!

VM

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 6:40pm
5. secure erase is to ssd what format is to hdd kind of, nothing is kept. What I'm not sure about is if you clone the ssd first, then do the erase and then clone back, will the ssd be restored back to its state before erase or will it keep the new state its in.

6. raid will improve large file read and writes but will do nothing for seek and 4k file size speeds. but trim is not supported.

7. HDD1 = fast small drive: os/apps/games

HDD2 = regular large drive: media/personal/work file storage

so ssd for hdd1 and 1TB hdd for hdd2.

8. here we recommend the 320, its the successor to x25, same controller = same reliability, and a great track record.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Nov 2011 at 6:42pm

Quote VirtualMedia Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 7:23pm
Could I get a recommendation on a Motherboard.  USB 3 a must and I'm thinking a possible GPU  a CPU upgrade in 3 years if big improvements are made. 
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 9:04pm
You are probably not gonna be able to upgrade cpu on this mobo, you will need to upgrade mobo if you want to upgrade cpu.

all the current mobo/platforms have usb 3.0.

go with z68 v-pro mobo.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

you have to go win 7 pro cause home has a total of 16GB limit including gpu ram.

As you can see below, in the task manager, the performance tab shows 16GB of memory available, and we were able to use all of it with LinX (stress testing tool).

In addition, you will see that it shows the Windows version to be Windows 7 Home Premium.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:44pm
LOL Alex stop spaming the forum, we got it the first time, try posting that for ms on their memory limit page.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 1:53pm
Hahaha
I just wanted to make sure any references that were saying it would not work were addressed.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 2:19pm
LOL good luck with that, between me, rice, dragoon, justin, ender and few others, there are so many references you would have 5 pages of you posting about it

On top of that you got the net and all over the net there has been no mention that win7 has changed the memory control, so all those people who are just viewers and not members or guest are not gonna know it either, they are just gonna look at ode and think it can't support it.

We are gonna start informing people here, but I doubt that will get everybody.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Dec 2011 at 2:54pm
We haven't had any customers bring this up. We had no issues during product development. It doesn't really cause any questions.

The only time this became an issue for us to look in was when you brought it up on the forums on various posts, which was good, and we checked and everything is perfectly fine.
 Post Reply Post Reply