RTX cards question

Post Date: 2020-04-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
johndeniel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: RTX cards question
    Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm
I was just wondering if rtx card owners always need to update their driver to the latest version. Like is it necessary given that the cards are the new and current gen
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2020 at 8:51pm
The honest answer is it depends. Drivers are critical pieces of software that tell the CPU and chipset how to perform the various functions. General rule of thumb is that it is not necessary to have the latest and greatest driver revisions. The old saying - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Typical consumers will keep the Windows Update setting turned on to keep drivers current. This ensures (supposedly) that future Windows updates will remain compatible with your hardware. There is a potential for Windows to pull a broken driver to your system. It's also possible for Windows to force an update to a driver revision that performs less well than the driver it replaced.

If you keep Windows update settings by default, I would not worry about having to fetch and install the latest drivers. If you are having performance issues related to older drivers, manually updating to the newer version may be appropriate.

Drivers may be updated due to security vulnerabilities being plugged. For serious vulnerabilities, you may want to install the version of the drivers that patches the problem. If you believe that installing the updated driver will reduce performance (e.g., spectre and meltdown microcode updates), you may have the ability to remain on the driver you know works.

BLUF: your question is a great question. Update if you are computer nerd and don't mind reinstalling the OS if you make the wrong choice. Otherwise, let Windows do the walking and enjoy the ride.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 8:19am
Anecdotal on drivers...

I recently tried to install/reinstall a game that I had played before in the past only to have the installation process stop as I didn't have a current driver. I generally don't update drivers upon release because, honestly, I don't trust them not to break my games so I generally wait... but this time if I wanted to play I had to update.
Ariktu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Ariktu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm
I usually only update GPU drivers if I am playing a new game that the drivers add support for or the driver updates something I need.

So I read the release information and decide if I want to bother.
johndeniel View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote johndeniel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Apr 2020 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Anecdotal on drivers...

I recently tried to install/reinstall a game that I had played before in the past only to have the installation process stop as I didn't have a current driver. I generally don't update drivers upon release because, honestly, I don't trust them not to break my games so I generally wait... but this time if I wanted to play I had to update.
I installed the newest driver and I can confirm that the resident evil 3 flickering issue still persist. In addition to some minor stuttering.
I had to roll back to 442.74 because that's the only driver that seems to be stable at the time being
 Post Reply Post Reply