Rut-roh! RTX3080 Crashes

Post Date: 2020-09-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Rut-roh! RTX3080 Crashes
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 6:09am
News is coming out of games crashing and blue screens with the new 3080s.
Have been reading up on this all morning long. I am not going to try to explain here, but instead will offer a couple of links to cast light on the issue that HOPEFULLY, DS is aware of.

I will only add that those getting the nVidia RTX 3080 FE are safe.

Igor's Lab first found the problem after the issue was starting to flood Reddit. Here are the two links for the details.

1] Igor's Lab Info

2] JayzTwoCents Video
austyn123 View Drop Down

Quote austyn123 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:40am
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

News is coming out of games crashing and blue screens with the new 3080s.
Have been reading up on this all morning long. I am not going to try to explain here, but instead will offer a couple of links to cast light on the issue that HOPEFULLY, DS is aware of.

I will only add that those getting the nVidia RTX 3080 FE are safe.

Igor's Lab first found the problem after the issue was starting to flood Reddit. Here are the two links for the details.

1] Igor's Lab Info

2] JayzTwoCents Video

From Jayztwocents vid he said the asus tuf seems to be using 6 capacitors and seems to have no issues. Its also the card picture digital storm has on their site to buy a aftermarker model. If they use the asus tuf cards we should be fine.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
Yeah, but DS says "DIGITAL STORM WILL USE A TOP BRAND NAME GRAPHICS CARD FROM THE LIKES OF ASUS, EVGA, PNY, MSI, ETC..."
That is pretty much any of them could be used.

It seems EVGA realized the problem and now only will ship a good card.
Also seems from the info only two used 6 PosCaps, which is the bad set-up and those two were Gigabyte and Zotac. All other AIB's used a combination of the two capacitor types, which means you would be safe.

Some say they could fix it with a driver or bios update, either way, that only reduces the max clock on the card that GPU Boost can take the card to. If this is the fix, then you would NOT be getting the card you paid for.

So it will be very interesting to see how this is handled. IF an inferior AIB card (card built according to nVidia specs but at the bare minimum level) is used by DS, who will fix or be responsible for the issues?

Luckily, only a small percentage of people were able to get their hands on a 3080 first release card and perhaps the AIBs have had time to yell, "Stop the Press" and change how they build the card to make it stable. Could be a delay in refilling stock.
Egads, what a mess!

Edited by fwfdfireman - 26 Sep 2020 at 12:02pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:08am
This is important info, thanks.
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:08am
Hi Everyone! We are aware of this and are looking into it.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:17am
One of the many reasons I'm never in line to be the first to get 'things'... hope it's sorted quickly.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:55am
So glad you guys are aware. I was just reading that all cards can experience a crash. So expect some driver updates. The ones that are really experiencing this are cards that get overclocked to push the boost limit over the 2 Ghz mark.

At that, even leaving them at stock or slightly overclocked can have a crash, infrequently, but can happen here and there. Again, those issues can and will probably be addressed and fixed with a driver update somewhere down the road.

Thx for chiming in Stellar. And I agree with you Snaike, I too have never jumped on a first release of anything. Unfortunaley, the card I originally spec'd was harder to find than snake boobies. Hence, I had to opt for the 3080. Not too worried about it at this time as more info is produced every day on the initial reports.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:08am
Ok, nVidia has released new drivers that supposedly fix the RTX 3080 crash issues with all manufacturers.
Gamers Nexus stated it was by limiting the max peak overclock any card could reach.
nVidia forums still show there are still issues, not necessarily with crashes, with the new drivers. So it appears that it is getting worked out.

Gamers Nexus also stated that the issue is NOT just the capacitors causing the issue but did not go in to very much detail as he was mountain biking after a brutal work week. Great video if you like downhill mountain biking.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 29 Sep 2020 at 10:04am
Tidgxor View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

The Kokopelli kid

Quote Tidgxor Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Snaike

One of the many reasons I'm never in line to be the first to get 'things'... hope it's sorted quickly.

This has been my mantra for my entire existence, save probably the toddler years wherein I wanted absolutely everything immediately with no exceptions. Had GPUs existed as we now know them when I was a toddler, I am sure I would have wanted one just to play with it. LOL
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:29pm
Ok, JayzTwoCents just did a video testing the Asus RTX 3080 TUF. He gave a pretty good explanation as to how the whole power supply chain needs to be up to par and not just concentrate on the capacitors as they are the last line of defense against interference.

Anyhow, his test was done with two popular games and Port Royal for benchmark score using the initial release driver and the new drivers nVidia released to "fix" the crashing issue to see how they fixed it.

The new drivers DO NOT reduce the boost clock, but seem to only "smooth the spikes out". No more hard spikes. Overclockers pushing their cards to where they might boost for a bit over the 2 Ghz range COULD still be susceptible to crashes. Jayz did not say that but I have not seen any tests yet. Seems most crashes occurred when overclocked cards pushed beyond the 2 Ghz range.

With the two different drivers the fps was the same and the Port Royal benchmark score was slightly lower with the new drivers.

It all makes me feel good.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 30 Sep 2020 at 6:33pm
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 12:31pm
The issue has been fixed. According to Gear Seekers, they found that there were absolutely NO crashes on a Linux based system. Crashes only occurred on Windows systems. Hence, nVidia dove in to the issue and that's when they released the new drivers a short time later.

I think they even released an additional driver update. So far, there are no more reports of crashes from what I can see.

So, issue fixed......... no reduction in boost clock and it was NOT a capacitor issue as originally suggested.

All is good now, so game on.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 01 Oct 2020 at 12:31pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:56am
Thanks for all the info and follow-up!
Jtbjr View Drop Down

Quote Jtbjr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 1:28am
Now that “capacitor-gate” is winding down, it seems a simple driver update solved the problem for most people.

The issue isnt completely figured out yet, but it seems like it was a combination of some reviewers getting pre production cards and bad drivers. The problem also seems to be with bad overclocks because apparently the cards loose stability fast over 2Ghz, however I also heard that the problem was less with the clock speed and had more to do with how quickly the clock speed increases.

Luckily, the architecture is so good that overclocking beyond nvidea’s auto thermal overclocking is not really necessary right now and by the time these cards start to age, I’m sure the issue will be resolved.

Nvidea and partners spent years developing these cards and they are a big leap forward so its very unlikely the problems we are hearing about will still be problems in a few months.
 Post Reply Post Reply