FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ryzen 5600X Build and Questions

Post Date: 2021-12-04

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
mjm196 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote mjm196 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Ryzen 5600X Build and Questions
    Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 9:57pm
Budget:
$2500 give or take

Hello, here is a Lynx build I came up with and have a lot of questions. I am mainly looking to play heavily modded games such as Skyrim on my Sony 4K tv in the living room.

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME x570-P/PRO[+$28]
Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
Power: 600W Digital Storm Performance
Storage: 1TB SSD Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Graphics: GeForce RTX 3060 TI
Cooling: H20 Stage 2 Digital Storm

Questions regarding this build.

1) The motherboard $28 upgrade, what's the difference?
2) Should I upgrade to 850W power supply?
3) Is the PRO series upgrade worth it?
4) Should I opt for stage 1 cooling?
5) Should I overclock my graphics card?
6) Will my Sony Bravia in the living room try to play games at 4K or can I adjust the resolution somehow?
7) How is the air flow in the lynx and are there any cases that prevent dust better than others

Any other recommended builds are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time.

Edited by mjm196 - 04 Dec 2021 at 11:08pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Dec 2021 at 5:37am
The 5600K is a very capable gaming proc. Solid choice.

From what I see, the mobo upgrade is a bargain. It retails considerably more, but isn't being marked up here. It provides a little more of just about every type of input/output connector. Good upgrade.

You have some wiggle room in your budget, so I would definitely get the 850W PSU. You will be able to upgrade well beyond a 3060 Ti should you ever wish to do so. The next gen cards will be out next Summer/Fall, and may be game-changers at much better prices.

The 980 PRO is one of the fastest storage options around. It is nearly double the speed of a 970 EVO, but we're talking SUPER-fast versus FAST. Whether it's worth it is up to you. Check out my suggested storage config in the build below.

Stage 1 cooling is fine for that proc.

I don't recommend overclocking video cards. They will run hotter, and the fans will come on more often, being louder.

I have little idea how well your TV will perform. I believe the 3060 Ti will be able to run 4k at 60Hz quite well. IDK if you can dial back your TV if it runs faster, or how well it will do at 120 Hz. You may have to dial back settings in some games, but not too drastically IMHO. These variables are why I think you might look down the road to a possible GPU upgrade sometime.

The airflow in the Lynx is fine, and dust is dust. Any other case here would bust the budget and you'd sacrifice the RGB lighting. I wouldn't do that!

Here's my alternate build:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4202047

IMHO, the storage is the best of both worlds. The SUPER-fast SSD in a compact size for easiest management of your OS, apps, and maintenance software. Booting and everyday tasks will be expedited. There'll be probably 350 Gb for favorite games. FAST SSD storage for your main games library.

hope it helps.   
 Post Reply Post Reply