FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ᴠᴀɴǫᴜɪsʜ 7 - (ˡᵉᵛᵉˡ ¹) a "cheap

Post Date: 2018-11-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Remi View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Remi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: ᴠᴀɴǫᴜɪsʜ 7 - (ˡᵉᵛᵉˡ ¹) a "cheap
    Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 4:48pm
   A while back, I had purchased a level 1 Vanquish desktop in hopes to create a "cheap yet efficient" VR setup, and that turned out as well as you might think.
The first level of the Vanquish 7 is unfortunately not ready for VR, I made the mistake of ordering the device before I did any research out of sheer excitement to use virtual reality. The main problem here was the integrated graphics card (Radeon RX Vega 11) which only had a singular HDMI port and nothing else of note (the HTC Vive set requires a minimum 2 HDMI ports or 1 HDMI port and 1 DisplayPort) after figuring out that the Vanquish 7 was not suitable for the HTC Vive, I set out and purchased a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card (Minimum System Power Requirement (W) 400 W [directly from GeForce's website] and the 600W power supply within the Vanquish 7 should be slightly more than enough, and when the usual setup for the new GTX card was done (removing the old card's drivers, installing the new drivers for the 1060, and inserting the 1060 into an open PCI-E slot) the monitor only showed a normal "requires more power" screen, which meant that the card was detected successfully by the Vanquish, but still had insufficient power. After looking around for a 6pin-power outlet within the motherboard, I discovered that there wasn't one to be seen. I decided to then try to take the power directly from the power supply (and my assumption should be correct if even the first tier of the Vanquish has a power supply which claims to be able to support up to a 1080 [unless the problem stems directly from the fact that the Vanquish came with integrated graphics which would, in turn, affect how many cables the power supply had or the mystery of there being no pin-outlets within the motherboard])  however, the power supply is covered with a sheet of metal to prevent damage or loosening of the power supply, I attempted to dig around and find an 8-pin power cable to connect directly into the 1060, and believed that I saw a few spare cables inside of the metallic box concealing the power supply, but none of them had a label and were too far in to be able to expose the cables even with tools. I am pleading for a confirmation as to whether there are spare cables inside the power supply for a GTX 1060 6B and an explanation on how to expose the power supply, in case I have to swap it out for a different power supply with cables that the default power supply may not have.
I'd also highly appreciate some suggestions as to what components to purchase if anything goes south.

I apologize for making this whole thing sound like an angry rant or a boring spiel but I'd really love to start using VR soon!  -𝔯𝔢𝔪𝔦

... also, apologies in advance if I was unclear with anything, I'll happily respond to information repliers found confusing.

Edited by Remi - 15 Nov 2018 at 4:50pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Nov 2018 at 5:28pm
The 600 watt psu does have 6+2 Pcie cables to connect to a graphics card.   I can’t say exactly where they are but are usually within the cable harness, either near where the graphics card would be, or behind the right side cover, tightly ty- wrapped in the bundle.

The psu cover should have a thumbscrew behind right cover. Remove right side cover, thumbscrew and slide psu cover to the left and lift out.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2018 at 7:01am
bp has advised you well. For others checking out this post, we have never known DS not to provide all the wiring appropriate to the motherboard provided. Neat and tidy wiring are part of the DS trademark attention to detail, and it is often a bit hard to tell the wires are there.

I wish you every success in powering your gaming experience. The 1060 6GB should perform very well for you.    

Edited by Cretae - 16 Nov 2018 at 7:02am
Remi View Drop Down

Quote Remi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2018 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Cretae

bp has advised you well. For others checking out this post, we have never known DS not to provide all the wiring appropriate to the motherboard provided. Neat and tidy wiring are part of the DS trademark attention to detail, and it is often a bit hard to tell the wires are there.

I wish you every success in powering your gaming experience. The 1060 6GB should perform very well for you.    

Although I am very happy to know that the power supply comes with the wires needed to power such a device, I am ashamed to admit that I am still confused about exposing the power supply. I am unsure of where the thumbscrew might exactly be, I did attempt to remove a screw on the exterior (left side from glass cover) which looked like a thumbscrew that wasn't locking the cover in place to no avail, even when trying multiple methods of removing the cover. Call me a cretin if you'd like, but I would greatly appreciate more information regarding the exposure of the power supply.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 5:13am
Hopefully, bprat22 can update you; IDK the answer. Have you looked carefully at wires "behind the right side cover, tightly wrapped in a bundle"? I think it is more likely to be there.

BTW, we don't think anyone is a "cretin" here. It may interest you, to know, however, my username is a silly variation of that word gifted me in highschool a mere 54 years ago!   
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 7:40am
Here's a link with pics of the 460X case you have.  Go to page 5, I believe, and it shows the thumbscrews holding the psu and HDD card cage covers on.  Once the thumbscrews are out just pull the covers out.  Tabs align then back and bottom.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7946/corsair-crystal-series-460x-rgb-mid-tower-chassis-review/index5.html

Basically, remove both case side covers.  On the right side, behind the motherboard are the thumbscrews.  Once removed, go to the left side and pull the covers off.

I, like Cretae, think the harness you need is already within the wiring bundle behind the case's right cover.  Just have to hunt for them.

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply