FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sad Day For Hardware

Post Date: 2022-04-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pendrag View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pendrag Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Sad Day For Hardware
    Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 2:35pm
DS system does double duty for me; acting as my primary remote to work during the day and game rig in the evenings.
Quad screens make the work go a lot easier; and all those pages for other things. :)
Today; primary monitor would not come on, thought, bad? I will deal with it later and just used other 3 monitors.
After playing the cable/port/connector swapping game, determined the monitor was okay, but DP1 on my card, no signal, and no sound from other 2 DP, though HDMI still has audio.
So, open the box and first thing I see is dry fluid dye on the top of the card, and the hard line connectors to my CPU have a noticeable build up on one of them. Plus the fluid chamber is now half empty.
How did that much fluid leak out without being noticeable? Unit sits on a shelf with cool air blowing up from below.
So, now I have a ticket open, and a system limping along.

Question for the masses, this is my first liquid cooled system. What fluid should I look for to top off the chamber? I do not want to run this with half a bottle, and need it for the first duty; but want it for the second.

hard%20line%20fluid%20leak%20at%20quick%20connect
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 4:48pm
I know next to nothing about liquid cooled systems and have vowed to never have it in any system I own... But I do know this (from my friends here on these forums):

NEVER mix coolants. Either get some of the EXACT coolant that is in your machine now or do a complete flush/clean/refill with new coolant.

Sorry to hear about your mess. Hope you can get it back to tip-top sooner rather than later.
NoobieWhisperer View Drop Down

Quote NoobieWhisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 5:08pm
Isn’t the coolant just a mix of distilled water and additives, similar to auto coolants? I have no idea on the ratio or mix, but I would imagine water makes up a majority of it.

If you had a slow leak, the water component would eventually just evaporate away without a trace, leaving behind the mineralized remnants that can’t evaporate.

Edited by NoobieWhisperer - 05 Apr 2022 at 5:08pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Apr 2022 at 12:41am
So sorry you are having this problem. It seems the leak(s) have been ongoing.
I believe that between DP and HDMI, only HDMI carries sound but I am learning new things every day.

On an open loop liquid cooling system you should always check for leaks. After a while you can slack off on the leak inspections. Use dry tissue paper to check the fittings for any seepage. The tissue should always remain dry.

In an emergency you can add DISTILLED water but NEVER mix coolants. The formulations are different and can cause a lot of damage.

With regards to your particular trouble, you will probably have to send the system back to make sure everything is given a good check and all damaged hardware is replaced unless you can get everything working again.  You also want to request a bottle of coolant and then order some more. You will be adding some as time goes by and it evaporates.

Good luck and keep us posted.
 Post Reply Post Reply